• image-1072638838.jpg
    image-1072638838.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 177
OP
OP
bbheigle0605

bbheigle0605

Feb 9, 2013
Thank you CC Hunter! Well, back to the ole drawin' boards. I did find a piece of a brass off of a 1882 telegraph (had Company name and date on it) about 20 feet away. Not sure if a telegraph had a piece that looks like this tho. Wonder if toy guns were made from brass?

Upvote 0

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
umm, wow. lol . I was finally happy that i thought i helped solve something. No im right back at the begining. lmao . Very good inspection CC!!
The item I believe, is something other than a gun cylinder. At first glance the general shape may fool the eye into this thought, yet many key features are inconsistent with what we should be seeing for a revolver cylinder. First; I have never seen a brass gun cylinder ever, as brass is much too soft of a metal to contain the pressure of gunpowder charge. Second; all the gun cylinders I have ever seen examples of (including the starter guns/blanks guns shown), have cylinders that are fully flush on both ends, and not with any type of recessed channel (what purpose would a channel have in a gun cylinder, further reducing the strength and function of the piece). Third; a gun cylinder requires a means of advancement each time the hammer is cocked and the trigger is pulled (this would be a radius set of raised slots or teeth on one end of the cylinder, where the advance mechanism would catch and turn the cylinder). Fourth, there appears to be rusty iron or steel in at least two of the holes or chambers on this piece, suggesting that at one time these were pins or bolts (note as well, evidence of hacksaw cuts going across the face, where these iron or steel pins were cut off).

The questionable features warrants this being reevaluated, and marked "Unsloved" in the meantime. :icon_scratch:

CC Hunter

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I frequently say y'all in my posts. So often that I'm surprised you haven't noticed. I even did it twice in one of my posts earlier today. Also, check my Avatar, and location.

My personal favorite from the forum, though, is North Carolina gal Breezie's signature, "Southern smiles." Makes this old-style Southern Gentleman's heart hum Dixie.

Why, Mr. Pete, you are such a Southern gentleman and if you keep talkin' like that, I'll have the 'vapors' and will hav-tah expire on the faintin' sofa with my back of my hand over my forehead. ( Of course, all of this melodrama was typed in my most Suthern accent.) Short Story: I do have a very deep Southern accent, and never looked forward calling up 'Nouth' to place orders for our business/shop. One day, I had to call New Jersey, and the fellow who answered the phone was having problems understanding me. He said, 'could you hold a minute please,' then I heard him say, 'There's a Scarlet O'Hara talking lady on the phone trying to place an order, and I can't understand a word she is saying. Someone else take the order!' :laughing7:

Southern Smiles Y'all,
Breezie

Upvote 0

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure it's a caster wheel of a piece of furniture. Search for antique brass caster wheels on google.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the Yankee on this thread, I would like to say all you Southern folk make me feel welcome.

The cylinder in question is from a blank pistol. The blank rounds usually only have priming compound and no powder , and generate no pressure. As to being made of brass, so are black powder cannons and the frames to black powder pistol frames, and they certainly under much more pressure with bp, which is an explosive compound. You can also still see the center pin rusted into the center of the cylinder. Most of these starter pistols are indexed on the face of the pin and extracter, and although this isn't shown here, I believe you will see it upon looking at the front of the cylinder. Not posting this to be arbrutary, just my opinion on what I see.

Hope that I haven't offended anyone. From the North Country, Y'all have a great day!

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the Yankee on this thread, I would like to say all you Southern folk make me feel welcome.

The cylinder in question is from a blank pistol. The blank rounds usually only have priming compound and no powder , and generate no pressure. As to being made of brass, so are black powder cannons and the frames to black powder pistol frames, and they certainly under much more pressure with bp, which is an explosive compound. You can also still see the center pin rusted into the center of the cylinder. Most of these starter pistols are indexed on the face of the pin and extracter, and although this isn't shown here, I believe you will see it upon looking at the front of the cylinder. Not posting this to be arbrutary, just my opinion on what I see.

Hope that I haven't offended anyone. From the North Country, Y'all have a great day!

It looks similar to one, but there's no way it is, two of the holes don't even go all the way through.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbheigle0605

bbheigle0605

Feb 9, 2013
I'm cleaning it up now. All I have on me right now is peroxide and vinegar. Doing a 50/50 mixture. I noticed that 2 holes that were not visible are showing up white. Strange. Still soaking and will post after photos. Here is the pic showing the white gunk in holes.

Attachments

• image-964234561.jpg
    image-964234561.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i see what Nola Ken was talking about, if you look at the back side 2 of the holes do not even show up on the back. maybe after it soaks they will open up ?

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not the 'Tool Time' person, but here's my 2-cents: I think it is some type of machine cog, where cast iron and lead rods went through the holes. The rust denotes iron and the white areas lead. So, what type of machinery would use rods that needed to be in a non-movable circular position? Vices? Punches? Stamping Dies?

Southern Smiles :)
Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread