verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone ever use the big NEL coils on these platforms? The factory 15" feels like your shoulder is being ripped off. I keep hearing the NEL coils are deep. Any thoughts?
My F75 came with 3 coils. Fisher 5 and 11" and a NEL Hunter. I haven't found anything incredibly deep with it yet. I've read that the 15" Fisher is like swinging a sewer lid and it really isn't that great of a coil compared to the factory 11" and after market stuff. I recently saw a Facebook post where someone was swinging the NEL Tornado on his F75 and pulled a flying eagle at just about 15". My soil isn't that deep before I hit clay, maybe 8-10 inches in most of the areas that I hunt. In those areas, I know that nothing is gonna sink lower than that, unless it's been plowed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a 12" x 15" NEL butterfly coil a couple years ago. Man a bigger coil adds weight to the machine. I can swing it for maybe 2 hours at a time unless I use my make-shift harness to neutralize the added weight. I mainly use it for fields and back yards that have had fill added. Needless to say I do not use it as often as a 1st thought I would since my sites of choice are yards in town.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F75 came with 3 coils. Fisher 5 and 11" and a NEL Hunter. I haven't found anything incredibly deep with it yet. I've read that the 15" Fisher is like swinging a sewer lid and it really isn't that great of a coil compared to the factory 11" and after market stuff. I recently saw a Facebook post where someone was swinging the NEL Tornado on his F75 and pulled a flying eagle at just about 15". My soil isn't that deep before I hit clay, maybe 8-10 inches in most of the areas that I hunt. In those areas, I know that nothing is gonna sink lower than that, unless it's been plowed.

It really is a heavy SOB. It seems pretry deep on small objects.....I just can swing it very long. I did see that post about the flying eagle cent. Just trying to justify the price tag on the NEL.

I got a 12" x 15" NEL butterfly coil a couple years ago. Man a bigger coil adds weight to the machine. I can swing it for maybe 2 hours at a time unless I use my make-shift harness to neutralize the added weight. I mainly use it for fields and back yards that have had fill added. Needless to say I do not use it as often as a 1st thought I would since my sites of choice are yards in town.

Exactly the same here. It's nice to have a deep set up for when it is needed. I do believe the old colonial sites have DEEP relics in the old fields. The attack coil seems to turn my friends at max into a monster. Feels light too. Although....I had my fisher 15" on when I grabbed the max and tested it. Lol! Id really like to try out the sharpshooter too.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sharpshooter is my main coil of choice of the 4 I own (5"DD, Nel Sharpshooter, stock DD and the 12"x15" butterfly). The right coil for the rite circumstances. I even have them all mounted on lower shafts for quick change.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sharpshooter is my main coil of choice of the 4 I own (5"DD, Nel Sharpshooter, stock DD and the 12"x15" butterfly). The right coil for the rite circumstances. I even have them all mounted on lower shafts for quick change.

Kind of off topic....but I have yet to find a silver coin with the 5" dd. I love the separation but it seems to either not sniff out the bling, or I just haven't swiped over some yet. Loco have you found any silver with the sharpshooter?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I have pulled a Walker half using the 5"DD from a curb strip I hunted about 4 times before with the stock coil. I rehunted a few old permissions that I had pounded using the stock coil and at one site I eked out a Buffalo nickel and a Merc dime, at another I pulled two Indian Head cents and some deep wheats. I used the sharpshooter at a trashy site that only gave up a couple wheats, but should have had older coins. It helped me pull that love token a couple weeks ago. I was so glad it was hidden among-st the trash since I believe that site was hit years ago by others in the hobby.

If you ever had some trashy permissions, that should have produced older coins) I highly recommend you go back and hunt them with the small 5"DD. I take about a 4 ft square and hit it in multi[ple directions to see if I can sniff anything out and then move to the next 4'x4' area.

GL & HH

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what settings do you use HighVDI?

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what settings do you use HighVDI?

I'm kind of like digger 27 since I play around with many different settings. My normal settings are sens. 90-96, disc 0, no notch, monotone, DE or PF process.

Tom Dankowski mentioned in one of his threads that once you switch to any multi tones the machine automatically discriminates some iron. I noticed my machine does do this too. When I'm in say 2f, 3h, or 4h and pop an iffy signaled plug out.....Sometimes it will disappear. Switch over to 1 tone and bang....Iron grunt. The million different settings to try is why I'm not bored with my f75. I think my Tejon is a tad deeper...but not as fun at times.

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the previous post in "Joined the f75 club" About the flying eagle cent. That coin was seriously deep! it was probably a bit deeper than 15" . There was a nail above that coin at around 6 down. I think that because that nail was there it allowed me to reach a greater depth to hit that coin and intensify its signal. Not to sure i would have got it if the nail wasn't there. Anyway, I got the nel tornado coil with the machine as well as the 2 coils package. So i have 3 coils that cover everything .When i put on the 11x8 it feels weird almost off balance. Like its rear end heavy or doing a wheelie. The tornado is really well balanced i can usually swing it for 8 hours and still not be worn out (only once i had to switch arms) .At 12 x 13 its Big enough that it will pick up multiple targets and the recovery is great still too. Anywhere I've used its worked great except for really close to structures/active buildings or buried live wires. It pinpoints just under the rod dead center which is really nice. It ground balances the same as the stock one just have to find a bigger area. I can usually pick targets and pinpoint out of loads of nails and iron infested sites. As far as iron i use disc 4 and 5 if i want it a little quieter. I was going to get the attack before i got the tornado and i may still get the sharpshooter in the future. But the tornado works fine for both yards or fields. Whichever choice you make you wont be disappointed!

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of off topic....but I have yet to find a silver coin with the 5" dd. I love the separation but it seems to either not sniff out the bling, or I just haven't swiped over some yet. Loco have you found any silver with the sharpshooter?

I too started wondering about the machine/coil not being able to sniff the silver out but in the past few months I've proved myself wrong, you just have to get out and get over the silver!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too started wondering about the machine/coil not being able to sniff the silver out but in the past few months I've proved myself wrong, you just have to get out and get over the silver!

I'm leaning towards this too. Only since I dug up loads of silver early in the year with the stock 11".

I was off work for a couple weeks and was a digging fool, haha. I'm really not giving the coil a fair chance either since I've been hunting spots I've hammered to death.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

I have found a lot of silver with both coils, several gold with the round DD simply because I used it longer in more sites.
Both are capable of finding precious metal easily...just gotta get your coil over it.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Decided on the tornado. I'll be hitting the old fields hard to see if it sniffs out the deepies.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been considering a thunder for my F75. I have a 5" and 11" Fisher coils and a NEL Hunter.

I've also read good things here about the Sharpshooter. May add that one of I work enough overtime or cash is on all the scrap I've dug up.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the F75 Ltd DST, ATP, AT Max. The F75 is a high advance machine takes a lot longer to master. I use the big Ultimate coil for the F75 it will go very deep the problem is you dig real deep a lot. Lol be careful what you wish for. I also have the Storm and the Thunder. I was going to keep the Storm for low trashy fields and homesteads and the Thunder for parks because of the great separation. Well the Storm has got to go. Between the Storm and the Lesche Piranha shovel my shoulders are blown out from yesterday. Do a 6+ hour hunt my hand and finger are still going numb sometimes.

I call it Storm Juice IMG_1473.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been considering a thunder for my F75. I have a 5" and 11" Fisher coils and a NEL Hunter.

I've also read good things here about the Sharpshooter. May add that one of I work enough overtime or cash is on all the scrap I've dug up.

I have the Nel Hunter as well. I never use it. Wasn’t too impressed. I figured if I sell my ATP I’ll put the Hunter coil in there to sell mine faster.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the F75 Ltd DST, ATP, AT Max. The F75 is a high advance machine takes a lot longer to master. I use the big Ultimate coil for the F75 it will go very deep the problem is you dig real deep a lot. Lol be careful what you wish for. I also have the Storm and the Thunder. I was going to keep the Storm for low trashy fields and homesteads and the Thunder for parks because of the great separation. Well the Storm has got to go. Between the Storm and the Lesche Piranha shovel my shoulders are blown out from yesterday. Do a 6+ hour hunt my hand and finger are still going numb sometimes.

I call it Storm Juice View attachment 1510159

You know how it is. All depends on mood. Some days I go out and feel like I'm 18 again and purposely seek out the deep items. Some days I get the itch to go shallow clad hunting at the parks.

I actually feel like the f75 is simple to use. I love how quickly I can power up, GB and get moving fast. Tons of options and setting to change quickly on the fly.
The farms I've been hunting hold coins deep into the 18th century and most have not been turned over in 100 plus years. The extra couple inches could be my first spanish silver, lol. Some of my best digs so far were pretty darn deep. Had a few really good shallow ones too but I'm always wondering what lies just a little deeper.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Nel Hunter as well. I never use it. Wasn’t too impressed. I figured if I sell my ATP I’ll put the Hunter coil in there to sell mine faster.

The more I use the Hunter coil the more I'm coming to like it. It hits on small items like a champ. I pulled a tiny ball of foil that someone rolled up real tight and it had to be every bit of 8". I don't think there is that much difference between it and the factory 11" coil as far as depth goes. The 11" coil will supposedly ID a coin at 12".

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more I use the Hunter coil the more I'm coming to like it. It hits on small items like a champ. I pulled a tiny ball of foil that someone rolled up real tight and it had to be every bit of 8". I don't think there is that much difference between it and the factory 11" coil as far as depth goes. The 11" coil will supposedly ID a coin at 12".

You know what I’m gonna take it for a spin tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread