Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I went out yesterday for a quick hunt. Got a stomach virus so being away from the porcelain throne for a long time isn't a good idea. Git some new targets that popped up. The field I'm hunting is probably 10 acres and I've hunted it dozens of times. I'm certain my coil hasn't swiped it all yet. I'm happy with the tornado so far. Seems just as quiet as the stock DD coil. I was around some power lines and had DST off.

The 3 copper discs were pretty deep. The one was giving a one way signal and was the depth of my pinpointer. Had this been a thicker largie it would have rang in loud and clear no doubt. Also found a nice round ball under a tree we have hunted plenty of times and also where I found a KG2. Got a toasted nickel sized coin with no ID. I'm assuming it's a shield or v since it rang up like copper. I notice my older nickels come in high on the numbers.

Found some bullets and such as usual. I don't know what the flat copper blade shaped thing is. Maybe someone could ID that?

My thoughts on the coil are it is a copper magnet. It's even better than the stock coil on the copper. It is a little heavier than stock....but wayyy lighter than that thing fisher offered. AWESOME separation for a widescan coil from what I've seen so far. I'd love to see how it hits on silver too. So far so good. Glad I went with the tornado. Any bigger would be uncomfortable to swing for any period of time.
Oh, Also that buckle was from a previous hunt in the same field with stock 11" but not found last evening. View attachment 1511980

So glad to hear your opinion on that coil. Also how do you turn on/off the DST?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So glad to hear your opinion on that coil. Also how do you turn on/off the DST?

Great question truth!! I know you have to do it during a factory reset, I just forget what to click. My question is: do you see a benefit to turning DST off?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trigger forward red button pushed in.....power up. Turn dial to 9.0 on(left), 9.1 off(right).

I gain depth in low EMI areas if off. Deeper on in high interference. This morning I went out and noticed more depth being on along a power line once it got chatty. I'm telling you....this coil is a coin magnet.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great question truth!! I know you have to do it during a factory reset, I just forget what to click. My question is: do you see a benefit to turning DST off?

I have it but I have to admit I never knew if it was “always on” once you had it or not. I’ve owned it for 2 years and never knew. It could be off for all I know. :laughing:7

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trigger forward red button pushed in.....power up. Turn dial to 9.0 on(left), 9.1 off(right).

I gain depth in low EMI areas if off. Deeper on in high interference. This morning I went out and noticed more depth being on along a power line once it got chatty. I'm telling you....this coil is a coin magnet.

I have the Storm and the Thunder. I just broke down and bought a sling. I detect almost everyday and my arms a brown out from swinging and digging. I would use the Storm for fields (low trash) and the Thunder for parks that aren’t totally trashy, it has great separation as well. Now that’s on my AT Max on my F75 I have the Ultimate coil which I like because it light. That Storm is a boat anchor. Thank you for explaining about the DST. I’ve had my F75 for 2 years and never knew if it was on/off or always on I bought in used. It was too much for the guy he just started the hobby. He had DST and the Sunray pinpointer on it. He was way out of he’s comfort zone. I told him don’t quit the hobby. He looked like he was out. :laughing/7

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I honestly don't get that. People always say its too much for a beginner when they're starting but after using other machines it is really one of the easier ones to navigate. I went from an f2 to the f75 and sure I had questions and what not....even got a little frustrated, heck I still do! It's just got a bunch of settings to make it user friendly and it has a learning curve like anything else. I know you know this I'm just typing what I'm thinking, lol!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I honestly don't get that. People always say its too much for a beginner when they're starting but after using other machines it is really one of the easier ones to navigate. I went from an f2 to the f75 and sure I had questions and what not....even got a little frustrated, heck I still do! It's just got a bunch of settings to make it user friendly and it has a learning curve like anything else. I know you know this I'm just typing what I'm thinking, lol!

I was getting a great deal so I agree with everything he said. Lol

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20171108_200814.jpg

Having lots of fun with this coil. Unless it's super trashy it's staying on. These were from a spot I've been hitting hard. Dug up a dozen or so old buttons so I knew these were hiding in the mix somewhere!

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1514501

Having lots of fun with this coil. Unless it's super trashy it's staying on. These were from a spot I've been hitting hard. Dug up a dozen or so old buttons so I knew these were hiding in the mix somewhere!
The F75 seems to prefer a fast sweep. Has your sweep speed slowed down with the larger coil? Have you changed the process?

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F75 seems to prefer a fast sweep. Has your sweep speed slowed down with the larger coil? Have you changed the process?

It seems to still like fast but this area I've been hammering I've just been going average speed swings and creeping. Overlapping my coverage seems to be opening up new signals. Dug another large cent this afternoon/evening. Also noticed small objects like 22 bullets, small roundballs and buttons are being dug up more too. As sugarquartz mentioned too the shotgun shells also come through better.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I agree. If you can turn it on and do a ground balance it is a close-and-play detector that needs no fiddling. You don't even have to flip through menus because it is all on the display at all times.

And, if you fiddle - do a reset each time you turn it on. I do.

But from there you can do all kinds of playing around with settings.

BUT - it can be a noisy and "busy" detector because it is so sensitive. So, turn the sensitivity way down and off you go.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also need to mention small bits of fairly deep foil are this coils nemesis! Hahaha. They give off a squeaky high tone and they usually read deep. Only thing that tips it off is the bouncing vdi from 60's to 90's. I'm a sucker for them because anything like this that reads deep I dig!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Locked in on a silver rosie with the 5" today.......I had to laugh when I dug it. Never thought I'd dig silver with the little guy.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanted to check back in about the NEL Tornado.

I'm thinking it is a little more sensitive on small silver.
Found these about a couple weeks apart. The cut piece wasn't deep but it hit HARD and had a solid ID. The half dime was a little deeper and it wasn't as strong a signal as the cut spanish silver but definitely substantial considering how tiny the coin is.

20171123_171833.jpg
20171208_145332-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions