New 18th-19th century permission. Handful of coins,militaria and more!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone,

Didn't really have a chance to go on hunt lately. But got a sudden call back from a farmer I was trying to get a permission from. I suspected there might have been some type of activity few centuries back where his field is located. He explained that within a few days he will start working in the field so I better go there soon. He didn't have to ask me twice!

For the next two days was hunting the huge field for 8 hours a day for 15-16 hours total. The first 7 hours were uneventful. Spent it exploring the field with almost no signals. Than, just before the dusk on the first day, started noticing pottery and square nails on the surface at one spot in the middle of the field. I have to admit, I usually don't spend enough time in the center of the fields believing that most relics would be near roads or any types of streams. I was wrong as there might have been older roads covered by the fields today.

Was really impressed with the total of 2 days hunt. Really happy and hopeful to get new finds there after the plow. I was hunting on Deus Fast due to high iron concentration, in other words just scratching the surface.

Here's the total of coins and tokens. No silver. 15 Halfpenny's ranging from British counterfeit 1776 to Province of Canada 1843

DSC_1263.JPG

Really cool militaria and misc finds. Artillery buttons from early to mid 1800's. Unknown to me British Militia button with G.R. under the crown. Beautiful and huge Scottish motif copper button. Unknown to me small button with ''V'' under a crown. What appears to be a piece of military shako (with a partial lion visible) etc.

DSC_1268.JPG

A few misc finds. My very first Jaw Harp. Actually got two of them. What I believe to be a center piece from a leather sword scabbard. Also a cool decorative copper horse shoe.

DSC_1271.jpg

An other first one for me. A complete musket lock plate. Glad I kept it as it was unrecognizable in the mud.

DSC_1278.jpg DSC_1279.jpg

Few more musket pieces.

DSC_1275.jpg

Also a first. Eyeball find. Native American stone gouge. Thanks to ColonialDude for the I.D.

20170511_230444[1040].jpg DSC_1280.JPG DSC_1281.JPG DSC_1282.JPG

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:
Upvote 29

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice work! You spent the time really feeling out that spot and trusting your gut. Those artillery buttons are incredible and the lock-plate is an excellent iron find. Do you plan on doing some electrolysis on it?

Anyway, I'd agree you're probably just scraping the surface. Personally I've had pretty good luck on Deus Fast, but dropping down to 8khz. Or wait for a plow. - either way, KILLER HUNT!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing hunt. A lot of great stuff in there. Can't wait to see what you pull up when you get back to it!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice work! You spent the time really feeling out that spot and trusting your gut. Those artillery buttons are incredible and the lock-plate is an excellent iron find. Do you plan on doing some electrolysis on it?

Anyway, I'd agree you're probably just scraping the surface. Personally I've had pretty good luck on Deus Fast, but dropping down to 8khz. Or wait for a plow. - either way, KILLER HUNT!

Thank you! I need to start doing electrolysis, got a lot of finds to clean (cannonballs,axes). Never tried Deus Fast on 8khz, does it go deeper while separating the iron and does it pick up the small stuff ?

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great couple of hunts, congrats on the nice assortment of finds and good luck with it in the future

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you! I need to start doing electrolysis, got a lot of finds to clean (cannonballs,axes). Never tried Deus Fast on 8khz, does it go deeper while separating the iron and does it pick up the small stuff ?

OurdoorAdv has a great post on the board concerning iron preservation. Lots of great tips if you're looking. As far as Fast/8khz, I've absolutely torn apart sites I've previously hit on Fast/18khz. It all stared when I was hunting in the snow this winter and kept using the low frequency thereafter. I've personally had no problems "threading the needle" in iron and finding non-ferrous. It's worth a try perhaps

Cheers

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the v is likely for Victoria ---the GR --for gratis regina --latin for thanks to the queen -- queen Victoria ran England from pre civil war era to 1901 when she died..

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you got an awesome new permission.
Nice old coppers and buttons-
Congrats

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's time well spent. Congrats on the coppers and buttons. Nothing like getting a first for a Harp, then getting the second one. The Gouge is winner when it comes to a eyeball find. Well done.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, oh man! Good for you for sticking with that spot after turning up empty for hours...only to find an incredible concentration of artifacts. I think it's hard for us state-side folks to relate to Canadian currency, but to see 15 half pennies from basically the second half of your game is stunning. Those bank tokens are sweet! The one I discovered down here is one of my favorite finds from last year.

I don't know my 19c military buttons well enough to take guesses, but looking forward to the IDs on the ones you didn't know off the bat. I found a brown bess side plate with a break in the same location; wonder if they had a weak spot there.

A most excellent permission, looking forward to what you find next.

PS - well played surface find to round things out with indigenous culture ...I'll never find something like that, just because I can't even seem to find mustard in my own refrigerator. If I don't have my detector, I can't see it. :tongue3:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fantastic finds! :notworthy:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Another great site !
I wouldn't be afraid to try any field in your area , even though they may not have had a house in them, the age alone and stray finds could make a good day of detecting. You also have a decent population base early of French , British , and native occupation.
Continued success !

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! What a freaking weekend man :occasion14:. I don't even know where to begin here since there's so much incredible stuff. Love the Jaw Harps, but that complete percussion lockplate is off the hook! As far as iron artifacts go, that's a dream find of mine. The coppers held up awesome in the field as well, and 15 of them is insane! Well done man and look forward to your return trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread