New detector for a beginner

F

fareforce

So, I need a metal detector mainly to find some surveying stakes that are underground (maybe 1"). I thought about renting one, but they want $50-$75 per day. Since I need to do the surveying on a piece of property that is out of town, I will need to rent it for at least 3 days. At this point I figure, why not just buy one. So my limit is about $200, and it will only get used for the surveying stakes (rebar), and I figure I can use it to help me when I go gold panning. I found a Tresure Hunter Vision Pro XJ9 on ebay for about $160, and it comes with an upgraded 10" coil, and headphones. Would this be a good choice, or is there something better to go with that is under $200?

Upvote 0

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you located??
May be someone on here near you that would help out....

OP
OP
F

fareforce

Located in Anchorage, AK... Property I have to find the surveying marks is in Sterling, AK

The other unit I was looking at is about the same price ($50 more) and it is the Garrett Ace 250 for $212.50.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
fareforce said:
So, I need a metal detector mainly to find some surveying stakes that are underground (maybe 1"). I thought about renting one, but they want $50-$75 per day. Since I need to do the surveying on a piece of property that is out of town, I will need to rent it for at least 3 days. At this point I figure, why not just buy one. So my limit is about $200, and it will only get used for the surveying stakes (rebar), and I figure I can use it to help me when I go gold panning. I found a Tresure Hunter Vision Pro XJ9 on ebay for about $160, and it comes with an upgraded 10" coil, and headphones. Would this be a good choice, or is there something better to go with that is under $200?

As far as the Treasure Hunter Vision Pro XJ9 is concerned, check out this link:
http://www.nuggethunting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1456

I've read possibly hundreds of posts in these forums about the Ace 250 and it may be a great coin hunter in soil that has low, or no significant level of mineralization. But of your soil conditions are anything like the conditions here in southern British Columbia, then neither of those machines is likely to help with the gold panning (nugget hunting) to any significant degree. I have yet to hear of, or read about, a single person using either of them for that purpose.

For the same money your looking to pay, you might luck into an older (late 80's to late 90's), machine on eBay that could do the job, but pretty much every nugget hunting capable machine, has more of a learning curve than the average MD. Considering your location and the budget you've imposed, I'd suggest waiting until the right machine comes along.

F.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Finding stakes is one thing. Finding gold flakes and nuggets is another. Without spending a lot of money it's pretty much impossible to do both. I would suggest buying an Ace 250. Then you pretty much break even if you rented a detector. So your really not out any more outlay. The 250 will find gold rings and jewelry.
Then when you go after gold flakes and nuggets you'll need a higher frequency detector with ground balance.

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
khouse is right, forget about using the 250 for flakes or nuggets. I am sure out there somewhere somebody has found one with it, but good luck. As he said the gold machines are higher in frequency ( around 17 + KHz ) and the 250 is around 7 KHz. Also like he states, without good stable manual ground balance forget about the small nuggets ( gold is much smaller in the "real" world than the whopper pix you see on the net ). My girlfriends Ace won't find a gold stud earring if you drop it through the coil!! We don't expect it to, it is a coin machine. Get the ACE and hunt in all metal to find your rebar markers, then take it to the park and get some coins. HH Joe

OP
OP
F

fareforce

Thank you all. Looks like I will be getting the ACE. Who knows, maybe if I take it down to the beach I will get lucky and the thing will pay for itself! ;D

W

Wally

The Garrett ACE 250 is what i have as a backup for the money it works great. I think it would be perfect for what you need. If you post a wanted ad in the garrett forum you just might get a used one real cheap. also try craigs list i posted a wanted ad there for mine and someone sold me their used one for $175.00.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
As for the Treasure Hunter Vision Pro XJ9 it could be good or bad it depends on the user. I know people who think the Tesoro Tejon is trash but it's one of the best machines made today. I said "one of the best," not the only best. Whites, Garrett, Minelab, Fisher/Bounty Hunter, etc., they all make good machines.

For you I'd say the safest is to stay away from those goofy oddball models sold off ebay. I'd recommend a Garrett 150, Tesoro Compadre, or some similar name brand detector.

Stakes 1 inch deep will be easy to find.

Also, maybe consider a used machine. Sometimes you can get a bargin on a better model.

Stay with the big names. Tesoros have a life time warrentee and great resale value.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread