New Farm was a "Reale" Good Day

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone,

After speaking to many Tnet and club members they have convinced me to post a few of my hunts. So I will post todays and some of my future hunts. Still feel a bit funny about posting, but the last post wasn’t painful and the Tnet support was overwhelming.

Today, I was in RI and driving down a old farm filled area and seen a farmer in his field just sitting there in a tractor; he was obviously turning over the farm field soil. So I walked over and asked if I could detect his fields, he said β€œyou are not going to find anything; I have let people detect these fields for years.” He then said, β€œGo ahead and have fun”. I began working in the right hand corner of a large square field, and gridded about 100’ x 100’ area trying to not bother the farmer. As I made pass after pass, moving very slowly and working the coil to barely touch the freshly turned soil. After a few passes, I realized this place has much to offer in terms of coins and relics. The first coin of the day was a 1925 SLQ about two inches down! The next a 1779 Spanish Β½ reale (9”), then a 1921 wheat cent (6”) and finally an unknown to me foreign coin (6”) that has a 2 in the front with a date of 1890 and what looks like a German seal on the back (the 2 is not in the correct place for a German 2 Pfenning). I briefly tried to locate the origin of the coin, as of this writing have had no luck. The coin has seen better days, but if I can take a few close-up photos, I may post; someone here will know its origin. The rest of the relics and jewelry were found while completing the gridding pattern, with the marble being a surface find. I hope to hit the field sometime again before it gets to cold.

The two photos are of the cleaned (soft toothbrush) Reale and complete hunt.

Thanks for reading and GL & HH

Regards,

Doc
CAM00758.jpg CAM00759.jpg

Upvote 41

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/2 reale, slq, relics?, yeah id say that's a great great hunt!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't really see it, but I suspect your foreign coin is a Austrian 2 Heller. Nice finds.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. I finally got in to a field today along side an 18th century church and vestry. One wheat. Major dissapointment

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello David680,

After reading your post, I checked online with the additional information you gave and it is indeed an Austrian 2 Heller.

Thank you so much for the identification.

It always amazes me how items end up where they are found.

Regards,

Doc

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cologneman

Apr 6, 2015
Northeast Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and XP Deus. Garrett Carrot and MI-6.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Doc, good to see you were in RI. ( my neck of the woods). Some land owners like to say we won't find anything and that seems to bring on the challenge and make the finds even better such as your reale. Great recoveries!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post! SLQ are always awesome but the 1/2 Reale steals the show! Congrats and HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Doc, another post with more great finds. Any day you can pull either of those silvers is a great day in my area. Congrats on getting out and showing your keepers

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Loco-Digger,

Thank you for the support! :occasion14: I think living in Massachusetts has some advantages when it comes to metal detecting. Many of the farms have been around since the late 1600's to early 1700's, this sure helps when looking for old Spanish silver and other interesting relics.

Regards,

Doc

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen a full date 1925 SLQ in quite some time, but like Digging Dude says, "The 1/2 Real steals the show."
Thank you for posting another sweet hunt and thanks goes out to your Tnet friends for persuading you to post a few of your finds.
Congratulations

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply awesome brother! You'll remember this hunt for the rest of your life. To bag an SLQ and a 1/2 Reale in the same hunt is truly amazing, and very hard to do now. Congrats. And obviously, there's much more there. Nice location find. Cheers. Ps. Did you bag that half Reale with your at pro? If so, what was the reading??

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Against the wind,

I love finding Spanish coins, definitely makes the hunt more enjoyable. :icon_thumleft: I love just thinking of how the coin ended up at this location. As for SLQ, I have only found a few of them, but Spanish Reale coins a nice hand full...go figure. :dontknow:

Regards,

Doc

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrsts! Awesome finds!
I bet you were "reale" happy with all that! A dated SLQ! Nice! And some wheat!
Paid well to ask if you could detect!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Terry!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest: