New Fisher F75 Owner Here!

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Richard - Definitely, if you have that F75 opened up and we can see the inside of it - that would be sweet - post away! No hurry though, don't want you messing up on your mod - you got all winter! Seriously, though, if your mod helps with the EMI - you could have a great thing going - especially if it's an easy fix.

Have you ever tried the small coil? I dont think I need it, that larger one is doing just fine. I've also been hearing that the F75 is going through some further factory upgrades . . . perhaps they are doing some EMI work?

Let's hear from anyone that has F75 tips - I've got a great bunch of tips from another site, but I don't want to steal the ideas - not my own. Here is the link, though

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,2251

Ian

RUSTYBC

Greenie
Feb 24, 2008
I'VE HAD MY F75 SINCE APRIL I JUST SENT IT BACK TO TEXAS FOR THE 2ND TIME. THE FIRST TIME I PUT IT IN THE WATER, IT CONKED OUT. THE DEALER LET ME USE A DIFFERENT COIL BUT I COULD NOT GET ANY DEPTH. POSSIBLY THEY HAVE TO BE SYNCRONIZED WITH THE CONTROL BOX. I HAVE NOT PUT IT IN THE WATER SINCE IT CAME BACK. I SENT IT IN AGAIN LAST WEEK. THE RUBBER GASKET ON THE CONTROL BOX IS ALL CRACKED AND PEELING AWAY. I'VE COMPARED MY MACHINE WITH OTHERS AND CANNOT FIND ANOTHER WITH THE RUBBER GASKET. POSSIBLY I HAVE AND EARLY MODEL. :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Yep - you have an early model with the rubber seal - the new ones have completely different control housing. It sounds like your first coil sprung a leak! I know they say these things are waterproof - but I never trust it. I had the same thing happen to a Whites and Tesoro coil. I hope you get it working good - it's a killer machine when it's working right. Mine has been about perfect, I've been lucky it seems. The only problem I had was the loose battery springs.

Ian

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you're onto another good machine!

Pretty impressive read here about the F75.

If it's anything like the old Fishers, then the batteries will last 60-80 hours. :)

Great finds lately, Ian. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Ian, Great to hear from you again! Yes, I have used the small coil on my '75 quite often, actually, and with outstanding results! If you opt to buy the small coil as I did, I'm sure you'll be amazed at how deep this coil will go! I know that usually a coil can be expected to reach about as deep as the diameter of said coil, but not the small '70-'75 coil! And as far as separation, there is no contest with the stock '75 coil, as the smaller coil will definitely win out. Great link, by the way, Ian! One amazing thing I would like to point out is, in my experience, (I grew up in Southwest Florida, Ft. Myers specifically), having hunted a great deal of different areas of "The Sunshine State", is that for the most part, the white sand found predominately everywhere, (not speaking of beach sand, but inland sand), the sand is nearly neutral and performance of nearly all detectors is much better than in my home state of TN.! Of course, the red clay is proof positive of iron composition. Here is an example from personal experience: I have found silver quarters in TN. at 12"-14", with my 1266, and in FL., with the 1266 have found the same at close to 2'!!! I don't have ill feelings for anyone who doesn't believe this, I would find it hard to believe had it not been my before my very eyes!!! As for my '75, it has been disassembled for some time now, and I'll try to post some pictures of the circuitry on this site either today or tomorrow. Almost finished with the EMI problem, and, IF my solution works I'll detail what I've done! Thanks again for sharing your great finds and the website, I really enjoy them!!! Great hunting and good luck!!! Regards, Richard. P.S. I'd bet you are right about First Texas addressing the EMI problem!!!

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A couple of recent F75 finds this detector is my new favorite! Settings - JE , Disc 6, 1 tone - Dang! - that's a deep seeking setup - but, it's only for certain low trash low emi areas and not for the faint of heart . . . ;D

Happy hunting,

Ian

Attachments

• DSC01831.JPG
    DSC01831.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,603
  • DSC01847.JPG
    DSC01847.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,590
  • DSC01844.JPG
    DSC01844.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,597
  • DSC01848.JPG
    DSC01848.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,586
  • DSC01831.JPG
    DSC01831.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,594
  • DSC01847.JPG
    DSC01847.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,589
  • DSC01844.JPG
    DSC01844.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,592
  • DSC01848.JPG
    DSC01848.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,587
OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
[youtube=425,350][/youtube]

Here is a video of the F75's ability to separate targets and recover. I did several other tests with this and the F70 that I'll post in the next few days. For this test, I basically placed 5 coins 3-4 inches apart and swept the coil over. If you watch and listen closely, you will see that it is picking up each target and giving an accurate ID # for each one - again and again no matter how fast you swing. It has amazing recovery speed and it helps find coins near trash. I've been done real well with this detector at old cellar holes among nails and it has everything to do with the fast processor and double D coil.

Ian

RUSTYBC

Greenie
Feb 24, 2008
I SENT MY F75 BACK FOR THE 2ND TIME. IT HAD THE BROKEN SEAL ON THE BOX. WHEN I GOT IT BACK, THE BOX HAD BEEN CHANGED SO THAT THERE WAS NO SEAL AND THE BATTERY LEADS HAD BEEN CHANGED. IT SEEMS THAT THERE WERE 2 DIFFERENT STYLES. ONE HAD THE RUBBER SEAL THE OTHER DID NOT. I BOUGHT MINE IN APRIL.. THE DISPLAY MODEL IN THE SHOP (B4 APRIL) DID NOT HAVE THE SEAL. A FRIEND BOUGHT ONE IN NOV. AND HIS HAS THE SEAL. I DON'T KNOW IF THEY ARE MAKING THEM WITH SEAL STILL, BUT IF YOU HAVE ONE I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU SEND IT BACK BEFORE THE TROUBLE STARTS, AND THE SNOW MELTS. HAPPY HUNTING TO ALL.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SaginawIan said:
[youtube=425,350][/youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERjTxte6iWw

. . . you will see that it is picking up each target and giving an accurate ID # for each one - again and again no matter how fast you swing. It has amazing recovery speed and it helps find coins near trash.. . .

I have found that the FASTER you swing the better the definition and seperation is. Bought mine in May of '07 (whan they were REALLY controversial) and have not regretted it.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Great video, Ian!! :thumbsup: That is something that must be seen to be understood! Great job!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like your idea about wrapping the grips...going to try it.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well this is my first time to this thread. I was wondering where you were hanging out ;D

It sure looks like you found the machine just right for you. :thumbsup:

It's funny how this detector got so much bad publicity a year ago. I've passed up deals for like $350.

I still haven't tried it yet but plan to soon.

I first began to accept it when ___________ who is on team Nautilus told be strickly off the record that it's his personal choice for his CW relic hunting. If I recall I think I gave you all that via PM last fall.

I do think one thing you brought out is key to this machine. It's not for high trash sites located under super strong powerlines. ;D

This exact same thing goes for the Nautilus detectors. It took me (3) IIBs before I finally learned this.

Your air test of approx. a foot and a half on a quarter sounds like it's in the Nautilus depth range.

Good deal and the finds you make are really outstanding! You sure have some great sites you're working! :thumbsup:

MB

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim Hemmingway said:
The unit's performance is just outstanding, both target separation and depth capability, and that includes extreme depth in disturbed ground...and you know how most machines struggle there. How does a freshly buried nickel at 10" in ground (GB @ 85, magnetite @ 0.1%) with at least 3 inches of air space to play with above the ground's surface sound? And that too, with small iron discrimination in JE mode and a beautiful two-way solid signal.
Later MB, Ian thanks for a terrific thread....

Jim.

Well Jim, you just convinced me! :thumbsup:

Now I could kick myself for not grabbing one of those deals a few months back!

10 inches on a fresh buried nickel? I'll try that in the spring but I seriously doubt the Nautilus can do that with a fresh buried nickle. A long time buried nickle would be a loud beep with the Nautilus.

Jim, what about the F-70? How does it compare to the F-75 depth wise?

MB

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post Jim and thanks!

I'll check out your thread too.

I've been getting lots of info in today on the F-75 (both the early and new model upgrade). This came to me from pros. I'll share some of this later.

Best,

Badger

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Once again, bravo, Jim!!! Very exact post! :thumbsup: You make it so easy to understand, even I understood completely! Also, this is another perfect example of info exchange on T-Net! Ian has definitely created a great thread! For those who haven't had the chance, check out Saginaw Ian's Youtube video and be amazed at the extreme recovery speed of the '75! A word about the '70; It is a wolf in sheep's clothing! Great hunting and good luck, all! Thanks again for the great explanations, Jim! And Ian! Regards, Richard.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a couple of emails I got recently from one of the best CW hunters in the country today.

I'll just leave off the names involved and reprint for your information.

"Keep your IIB, Badger. The depth, while good, isn't on par with a DMC. I've heard it with each new machine that's come out -- "it's just as deep as a Nautilus." But then we try them out and it's simply not.

The F75 is good. Very good. On depth it's a couple of inches behind a 10 inch loop.

Now, on discrimination, I will have to go with the 75. It has a recovery speed that's unreal. In other words, after it hits a target, it recovers at .72 seconds and is ready for the next target. With most machines, you're looking at somewhere around 1.5 seconds recovery, which is plenty of time to miss a good target laying next to a bad.

If you're hunting with guys using the F series, they'll probably have an edge in heavy iron. If you have the IIB, cut your transmit power down to around 20 and disc sens, if need be.

But in the open, you're still king of the dirt. I have both machines. And these are my two pence worth having used both.

Anytime. If folks didn't share info we'd all stand to make $1,000 errors.

That's not to say the 75 is a mistake. I have one and it stayed in the arsenal because it works. If it didn't? It'd of been gone.

There's two F75 models, fyi. You probably already know about them, but just in case... there's the initial release, or Model 1 w/o the "upgrades," and then Model 2 obviously with the upgrades, which are a sealed instrument panel, stiffer battery springs, etc.

I have a very early, low-numbered Model 1 which has given me little to nothing worry over. I did replace a locking ring on the rod, however.

But if you get the 75, check the screen to see if it's sealed between the housing and the clear screen itself. If not, make sure you get (which came standard with each) a dust cover for the screen and the other cover for the battery housing. Check the batt springs for looseness.

I haven't had any problems out of the Model 1, as I'm calling it. I've heard a lot of people cry over it, saying it had quality issues. But I look at my unit, which was the one they were wailing and gnashing their teeth over, and wonder if they're misusing or abusing the unit. The battery springs being the most heard complaint, I've never had any trouble but have never tried to take them out with a backhoe or tooth puller either.

The only other quality issue was the rod itself broke around the junction of the handgrip and rod. I don't know what to say about that one. One look at my Nautilus will tell you how I treat my detectors in the woods. I don't have "trailer queens" that never see action. The Fisher has withstood what I put on it.

At any rate, you asked about the performance. But I thought you should definately know there were issues out there for some and the 75. I love mine, though, which is a brother (sequencing serial numbers) to the ones _____ _____ and ______ (___ _____) have over on the Relic Forum. We have early 300 serial numbers and have had little to complain about."

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim Hemmingway said:
Hi Badger,

Thanks for posting that report MB.

Here's a perspective for you. When my meter seal started peeling off, I wasn't too happy. But then, I decided to take matters into my own hands, and went ahead and tightened those 4 screws (despite the screws being sealed with silicon) at the back while pressing both parts together. It tightened such that there is no space left, and I don't see any need for adding a seal. It's fine. I've used it a number of times briefly exposed to rain, no issue...and of course there is always the cover-up provided if necessary.

By contrast, when up north detecting with my MXT, I noticed that quality made unit provided access for a blackfly to get inside the meter where it crawled around on the screen...then it disappeared for good (???). After that, I never made another peep about quality control on my F-75. If users want lightweight, plastic is the order of the day...and that's fine with moi. Later MB,

Jim.

Thanks Jim. I'm learning a lot because of this thread...thanks Ian!

I'm glad to see the Fisher name will continue. Boy, for awhile there it didn't look good.

Now I need somebody to tell me the F70 is just as deep and fast as the F75 so I can save some money ;D

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Badger - I'm testing the F70 against the F75 as we speak! I've got some interesting results that I'll post later. Let's just say there are very good things about that F70.

Richard - Have you been using your F70? PM me so we can compare notes. I think you are on the money about the build quality being very good - I had mine out this afternoon and directly under a power line I got NO interference. The F75 was ticking away under the same conditions . . . however more later.

The F75 is pretty much king in my arsenal. I don't know if it would work for everyone, but it works GREAT for me. I'm typically in the woods with it and I can crank the thing up as high as I want, and that thing zings along. It has this cool zip zip sound on good accepted targets that you have to see and hear to appreciate.

The tone mode 2f is a tremendous tool. Some say you get better target separation in monotone - and I understand that. However, it's impossible to use monotone and accept all metal in the nail fields of most of my sites. So I run in basically all metal and 2f tones. For example lets say you take a ONE WAY long fast sweep it would sound and look something like this in 2f tone -

VDI #: 7 6 7 6 80 6 7 7
Sound: buzz buzz buzz buzz ZIP buzz buzz buzz

If you swing back the other way it will be the same thing, just reversed - kind of letting you visualize where the ZIP is. This happens very very fast in an iron patch but the ZIP sound is so distinct - you can easily pick it up and investigate further. (it's music to your ears). You also know that most other detectors missed that little ZIP.

Just take the quickest swing that you want and when you hear that ZIP in the middle of the droning iron sounds - stop and investigate. Take shorter quick swings back and forth and the detector literally will "lock in" on it. Typically, if it's good - I've found that you can get mostly repeatable from both angles. If I get iron buzz from one direction and a ZIP from the other - I dig it. Roughly 20% of the time it's something good - 80% it's a piece of iron. If it repeats from both angles it is nearly 100% for me, a good target - coin, button, brass etc, You may say " well most detectors do this." Well, that's true. However, I'm seeing every time I go out that the F75 does it a bit better and more often than the rest. I have no idea if it's the processor or the coil or a combination of both - it gets the job done for me.

I'll post more about the F70 here later this week when I'm "sure" what I want to say about it . . .

Ian

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
I wanted to say a couple things about the VDI #'s on the F75. It took me a while and alot of dug targets to figure this out. The VDI numbers are actually very very accurate to as deep as this machine goes. However, I think of them as accurate in what appear to be "ranges". To me if it repeats within a range of say "10", it's basically locked on, even though it may be hopping around a bit.

Let's say you have what you think is a good target - for example, indian head penny at 7" deep. You will be getting a repeatable ZIP sound in each direction. The numbers will jump up and down on each swing very quickly from say : 55 - 65, but they will rarely go below above or below a certain range of about +/-10. So if you get a signal at this depth and it's tight sounding and stays within a range of about 10 #'s - you have a good target. If it jumps far outside the range - say: 50,7, 18, 55, 42, 6 . . . you've probably got junk. Again, you say, "most detectors do this" - true, but the F75 moves so extremely quickly it pays to slow down and watch the VDI #'s for a second or two. If you are like me and dig everything - this doesn't make much difference unless you have fun predicting targets. However, if you are cherry picking - it's invaluable to realize that a dime will not hit a solid "70" - rather an "F75 solid 65-75".

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions