New guy question about Tesoro Compadre

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, Just got a Tesoro Compadre and have a few questions. Is there any way to get small gold rings without digging everything else? I air tested and small gold rings come in just above iron. Do bigger rings show up without having to dig every poptop? Found 91 cents in clad yesterday but was discriminating everything from poptops to iron. Ran with discrimination above iron today and got two clad dimes and a penny and lots of trash. I'm hunting school play areas and ball fields. Thanks Steve

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pop tops sound just like gold and silver rings. Bummer! Good Luck! :headbang:

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry, Thats pretty much what i expected. Dig. Dig. Dig.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right on, gotta dig it. The Compadre is a great little finder!

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I hunted a local swimming hole today. Local lake is way down exposing about 40 ft of shoreline that is normally under water. VERY rocky with black sand. Ran compadre just above iron and dug, dug, dug. Got 3 quarters,a nickle, dime and 3 pennies, all clad and 12 lead sinkers, numerous poptops, and other trash. only covered about a third of the site. Will go back tomorrow. Thanks Again, Steve

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Steve.

Run your discrimination above IRON and you start losing gold.

Run your discrimination above FOIL and you've pretty much eliminated small gold altogether.

Run your discrimination above PULL TABS and you've eliminated all but the largest "pimp sized" gold rings. ;D

Good luck!

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like to set it just above iron and then thumb it up until the signal goes away and then dig it up after I make my prediction. When I get tired of digging trash I bump it up to tab.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy, I went back and spent another 2 1/2 hours in a 40 by 60 foot area that is normally under water. I slowed down and found 38 more lead sinkers, a dozen pop tops, a .177 caliber pellet, 7 pennies, 2 nickles, and 4 dimes. At the end, i decided to swing the detector under water along the shore and found 3 of the coins in less than 6 inches of water in about 10 foot of shoreline. Next time , i'm wearing rubber boots! The site is sort of steep and you can see where the waves have cleaned the shore. There is a gravel bed about 4 ft wide that is sure to have more in it. Thanks Again to everyone for the advice. Steve

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Steve !

I have a Compadre too and have been setting the discrimination dial indicator on the "F" in FOIL with good results............recently a Sterling Silver Cross pendant, down about 5" deep. That setting does great on clad pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters too ! I hunt parks with open play fields, Tot-lots, grass around basketball poles, park benches and picnic tables.

Another great tip......one of my favorite parks has asphalt (black top) walking/jogging paths. If the paths are on sloping ground, i.e. one edge of the path is lower than the opposite side, most dropped coins from joggers will roll toward the downhill edge of the path and into the grass a few inches. So all you have to do is walk along the edge with your coil over the grass and pointed straight ahead. You really don't even have to swing the coil left or right......your forward movement is enough. You will find the majority of coins within 6 inches off the edge of the path. You can walk fairly fast and cover lots of linear feet of grass along the path. Remember......gravity + slope = coins (and maybe jewelry !).

Good Luck ! :wink:

Todd

Good Luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread