New Jersey Colonials

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, I have seen lately that a few New Jersey Colonials have been found and Jeff you might move this post to another forum, but this seems to be the one most visit so I hope you keep it here.

I have for the past couple years been gathering data on ground found New Jersey Colonials, the main purpose of my survey is to create a map by COUNTY and STATE showing the distribution of New Jersey Colonials that have been recovered from the ground, whether by metal detecting, sifting, gardening, whatever.

I currently have data on over 230 found NJ colonials and would like to see that number go higher, especially more from states outside of NJ, but all inputs welcomed..
Currently about 16 different states have reported finding NJ coins and that is great, please, this data is for a distribution survey only and most likely at a later date possibly do one on Vermont or CT coppers.

Thanks in advance and I know some of you have already contributed and thankyou very much, I really do not want to conclude this survey until I feel I got a big database, and I know there are many more found NJ coins that just have not been reported to me yet........
Don in South Jersey

NEW JERSEY COLONIAL COIN DISTRIBUTION STUDY
NEW JERSEY COLONIAL COINS
INFORMATION WANTED:

STATE AND COUNTY COINS FOUND IN Also if known:
YEAR
ATTRIBUTION – (VARIETY)
TYPE OF SITE:
FIELD, FORMER HOMESTEAD, TAVERN, RIVER CROSSING, ETC.
IF POSSIBLE PICTURES
OF OBVERSE AND REVERSE (E-MAIL ME)

PURPOSE:TO MAP THE DISTRIBUTION OF THE NEW JERSEY COPPERS FOR A COLONIAL COIN STUDY BEING CONDUCTED BY ME FOR THE COLONIAL COIN COLLECTOR CLUB.

PLEASE SEND INFORMATION TO: [email protected]

Thanks and spread the word to others who may only lurk or not post at all, at minimum I would love to know the County and State, all other data is optional but if you have it I would appreciate it...

Attachments

• 1787NJMARIS43D2.JPG
    1787NJMARIS43D2.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 537
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zootman, thanks alot, look forward to any more information or any finds from any of your friends.

Don

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diameters vary, small planchet, large planchet, wear, but the vast majority of mine are 27 mm and the large planchets are 29mm. Some King George II coppers are 28mm and so are some of my CT colonials.

If you can weigh them in grains, that might help, but even that is very variable from one coin to the next.

Sorry, try aluminum foil rubbing to see if any details at all can be seen. Shiny side down against the coin as you rub with finger or eraser.....
You can always try and send me a photo that I can play around with to see if attribution is possible.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread