New member from FL. This board is amazing!

cthulhu

May 28, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hello everyone,
I'm in Tampa bay FL and have been looking at the forum for a few weeks. I am totally amazed at the stuff y'all are finding, especially in the midwest. I'm also blown away that y'all can tell the type of material the points are made from and where it came. How do you learn this?

I hunt for fossils in my area, mostly in the Peace River, but I've never found a point before. I do it just for the joy and wonder of the bones. To me they're invaluable. Now Indian artifacts are cool on an entirely new level. I'd be so thrilled to find something. I have found a few chert flakes in the river and I'll probably post 'em for your perusal.

I've been fascinated with Native Americans in FL for a long time. I have a few books on the subject, and have another one on the way. I have to admit that I'm more most interested in paleo and archaic era, but it's all good.

Does anyone here in FL hunt fields or could take a newbie out to show me the ropes?

Thanks and greetings,
-Darren

Upvote 0

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Darren!

Get your dive cert. boom. Do it now and it's cheaper!
I have dived in so many rivers that have gators in there but have never been bothered. I don't dive around the boat ramp or where they are throwing marshmallows, LOL. What has always got to me are Bull Sharks. They will go way up into the rivers, they love the mouths of rivers and they are a common shark in all the bay and gulf waters...... One of them was eyeing me near the mouth of the Chassahowitzka River one day, passed by me maybe three feet twice, same day a pod of manatees scared the devil out of me. When you are underwater, No One Can Hear You Scream! ahahhhahahaah!!! Now I got ya going~! You only get tangled in fast rivers when you do dumb stuff. But some of the best fossils are in the snakey, gatory areas full of roots and scary stuff. Diving for fossils is the best thing ever! Quiet, cool, productive.
No sites I know of right now. I need all new dive equipment except for mask and snorkel and one tank....

TomsPonyShovel.jpg

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,
I'm in Tampa bay FL and have been looking at the forum for a few weeks. I am totally amazed at the stuff y'all are finding, especially in the midwest. I'm also blown away that y'all can tell the type of material the points are made from and where it came. How do you learn this?

I hunt for fossils in my area, mostly in the Peace River, but I've never found a point before. I do it just for the joy and wonder of the bones. To me they're invaluable. Now Indian artifacts are cool on an entirely new level. I'd be so thrilled to find something. I have found a few chert flakes in the river and I'll probably post 'em for your perusal.

I've been fascinated with Native Americans in FL for a long time. I have a few books on the subject, and have another one on the way. I have to admit that I'm more most interested in paleo and archaic era, but it's all good.

Does anyone here in FL hunt fields or could take a newbie out to show me the ropes?

Thanks and greetings,
-Darren

Welcome to the Forum Darren.........All rivers and springs were used by native americans. Especially the springs in florida. Look around the edges of these areas you will eventually find a point!!!..................GTP(Chris)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions