quartz3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 551
Upvote 0

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
I am also a new member, your example could be the start of a bannerstone. I have a few semi drilled examples and one that ran out of the side of the preform. Your example is missing the typical pecking that shaped the artifact. The technique is called cane-reed drilling, using a hollow cane or reed and sand adding the grit needed to cut the hols. Some of my examples show a shift in the bore where a new or different cane was used.

OP
OP
mike w

mike w

Greenie
Aug 16, 2010
cincinnati ohio
thanks so much for the replies. it does appear a bit large for a bola stone,but hey, i always thought bola stones were a western type.you never stop learning. thats one of the reasons i love this hobby and website so much.

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Mike,
I live in Cincinnati also. I know where an amazing eggstone resides that was found near Fort Ancient about a 100 years ago. I would love to see your piece, and get acquainted with you. I could introduce you to some of the local guys if you don't know them already. Send me a personal message and we can exchange contact info.
Targe- I am beginning to think that we know each other. Confirm through PM. I can't picture CW's egg, but I will be sure to see it next time I stop by his place.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread