New metal detector

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and this is my first post. My dad won a 5000$ gift card to bass pro and he gave it to me on my birthday. WAHOOO.. Well i am not much of a hunter but i do a lot of photography. I was going to buy a new long zoom spotting scope but i already have one of those. I cant seem to find anything to buy. I was in Bass pro yesterday and realized they sell metal detectors. Well i have a coin master pro that i purchased on my last trip to Florida and used it at the beach. I really enjoy using it but around that water when i got close it would freak out b/c of the salt. Back home in Arkansas i have no issues using it but i want a new upgraded model.

Now i do not want to spend 5K on a detector but i really would like a good oen but to be honest i do not know enough about them to make the decision myself so i am looking for help. I plan to go back to Florida and to the Bahamas this summer and would like to take it along with me but i am not dead set on using it on the waters edge just at the beach's for sure.
We have alot of parks, wooded trails and so on around here that i can hunt.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Here is a link ot bass pro metal detectors.
metal detector | Bass Pro Shops

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So some good news i think. Made a call to bass pro to ask about my gift card and i can use it anywhere that mastercard is accepted so i dont have to buy from just bass pro....

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will make it easier for you not being limited to the detectors they sell at Bass Pro Shops. Your Dad was quite generous for your birthday - congrats!

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will make it easier for you not being limited to the detectors they sell at Bass Pro Shops. Your Dad was quite generous for your birthday - congrats!

I will very much agree. Now i just have to figure out what i want or someone who has been doing this for a while to help me through the process. I really wish there were some locals around here but there isnt.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will very much agree. Now i just have to figure out what i want or someone who has been doing this for a while to help me through the process. I really wish there were some locals around here but there isnt.

I bet there a lot of others in your area! You can start by letting us know what city you're in. I'm sure there is someone close by who would be willing to help you out.

One thing to keep in mind.... There are many excellent brands of detectors who all make very good equipment. Many people tend to favor a specific brand or model, but that doesn't mean a different one is bad. Lots of different soil types around the country and what works for me, might not work for you. Talking with others who hunt in your area will help you the most.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Jonesboro, Arkansas. north east Arkansas area.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So some good news i think. Made a call to bass pro to ask about my gift card and i can use it anywhere that mastercard is accepted so i dont have to buy from just bass pro....

That definitely opens the door to more choices! You've got to think about what situations you would use it in, and a ballpark budget. For water/beach use along with land, I would opt for an AT PRO on the lower end ($600) or the CTX 3030 on the high end ($2500). My first was the AT PRO, and I found it to be incredibly easy to learn, especially after watching a few videos. If weight/balance is an issue, I've heard good things about the XP Deus ($1300-$2000 depending on configuration). As a beginner, both my AT PRO and E-Trac were easy to master, thanks to YouTube. Nearly limitless research/training material available to learn. If you need other tools like a digger and pointer, which are highly recommended, you should check out the deals Bart has @ Big Boys Hobbies. Nicer detectors get really awesome bundled tools for free, and he is a great guy to do business with.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That definitely opens the door to more choices! You've got to think about what situations you would use it in, and a ballpark budget. For water/beach use along with land, I would opt for an AT PRO on the lower end ($600) or the CTX 3030 on the high end ($2500). My first was the AT PRO, and I found it to be incredibly easy to learn, especially after watching a few videos. If weight/balance is an issue, I've heard good things about the XP Deus ($1300-$2000 depending on configuration). As a beginner, both my AT PRO and E-Trac were easy to master, thanks to YouTube. Nearly limitless research/training material available to learn. If you need other tools like a digger and pointer, which are highly recommended, you should check out the deals Bart has @ Big Boys Hobbies. Nicer detectors get really awesome bundled tools for free, and he is a great guy to do business with.

Have been talking to him and a couple others. Once a year trip to florida beaches, some around water here. Mostly land. No in water. budget is whatever i need to spend really.2500$ is high yes but is it worth it. is the deux worth it. I am new to all this really. So looking for info. Or do i even need that expensive of a unit.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been talking to him and a couple others. Once a year trip to florida beaches, some around water here. Mostly land. No in water. budget is whatever i need to spend really.2500$ is high yes but is it worth it. is the deux worth it. I am new to all this really. So looking for info. Or do i even need that expensive of a unit.

$2500 is expensive, especially if you are not sure how deep into the hobby you want to get. If you aren't going to use the detector in water, just on beaches and other land areas, my recommendation is to get an Minelab E-Trac. It is a very respected detector, and is considered one of the best. It is $1549, and it performs almost as well as the CTX 3030, but no waterproofing, GPS etc. If you order it from Big Boys Hobbies, a well-respected vendor on here, package 2 has some awesome freebies like a Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger, T shovel, carrying bag, finds pouch and the acclaimed Andy Sabisch E-Trac guide.

That would be a great setup for the price. Metal detecting is becoming a more popular hobby thanks to television shows, so you want to make sure you have the power to find what others may leave behind. Just make sure to invest $10 in a weather guard, to protect it from rain, dust and/or salt spray when at the beach E-Trac from Big Boys Hobbies

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gonna cast my vote for the T2 2 coil pkg special edition- practically the same as the F75, but there's something about it...

That and a Garrett pro pointer!!! The best part is you'll have a lot of change still left over.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well ordered the CTX 3030. Will be here tomorrow and i am so excited. Let the learning begin lol

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and as far as other locals. Well after searching very very hard i found other person. He is a doctor lol. have only talked through email. Have yet to find anyone else.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and as far as other locals. Well after searching very very hard i found other person. He is a doctor lol. have only talked through email. Have yet to find anyone else.

Call the local newspaper and claim you found several gold coins in a local park so they write a story. Sit back and count how many detectors show up in the next day or two!

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the local newspaper and claim you found several gold coins in a local park so they write a story. Sit back and count how many detectors show up in the next day or two!

Wouldnt wanna do that. Then i couldnt find it all myself lol

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has Arrived.
CTX-3030
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sun Ray Pro Gold special edition
Lesche hand digger
Samson T Handle digger
Treasure Wise Padded bag.
Treasure wise finds pouch
Minelab Hat
Set of Large Rubber palmed digging gloves
Minelab Koss Headphones and Coil cover

On way a full tactical harness.
Duty belt
Battle belt
H-harness
Hydration pack
2 liter bladder and drinking tube
Deployment bag
With custom tether for helping with weight of ctx and 17" coil.

Attachments

• ctx3030 arrived.jpg
    ctx3030 arrived.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 149
  • 5986111_orig.jpg
    5986111_orig.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 4204273_orig.jpg
    4204273_orig.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 4932891_orig.jpg
    4932891_orig.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 99

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congrats, sounds like you didn't hold back. Looks like a Big Boys Hobbies package, which is a great deal. Good luck!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has Arrived.
CTX-3030
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sun Ray Pro Gold special edition
Lesche hand digger
Samson T Handle digger
Treasure Wise Padded bag.
Treasure wise finds pouch
Minelab Hat
Set of Large Rubber palmed digging gloves
Minelab Koss Headphones and Coil cover

On way a full tactical harness.
Duty belt
Battle belt
H-harness
Hydration pack
2 liter bladder and drinking tube
Deployment bag
With custom tether for helping with weight of ctx and 17" coil.
Loaded for bear and ready to roll! Congrats!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the machine! Are you going detecting or on a combat mission?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread