New metal detector

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and this is my first post. My dad won a 5000$ gift card to bass pro and he gave it to me on my birthday. WAHOOO.. Well i am not much of a hunter but i do a lot of photography. I was going to buy a new long zoom spotting scope but i already have one of those. I cant seem to find anything to buy. I was in Bass pro yesterday and realized they sell metal detectors. Well i have a coin master pro that i purchased on my last trip to Florida and used it at the beach. I really enjoy using it but around that water when i got close it would freak out b/c of the salt. Back home in Arkansas i have no issues using it but i want a new upgraded model.

Now i do not want to spend 5K on a detector but i really would like a good oen but to be honest i do not know enough about them to make the decision myself so i am looking for help. I plan to go back to Florida and to the Bahamas this summer and would like to take it along with me but i am not dead set on using it on the waters edge just at the beach's for sure.
We have alot of parks, wooded trails and so on around here that i can hunt.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Here is a link ot bass pro metal detectors.
metal detector | Bass Pro Shops

Upvote 0

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if u got thay much u might as well go all out and get the ctx3030. Get top of the line and never have to upgrade.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, decide what type of hunting you want this detector to be use for. Is this going to be just for florida beaches?

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, decide what type of hunting you want this detector to be use for. Is this going to be just for florida beaches?

Relics, coins jewelry and so on lol. General hunting. no i only visit florida about once a year.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relics, coins jewelry and so on lol. General hunting. no i only visit florida about once a year.

Well, I didn't see a CTX on their website, but they did have an E-Trac and I can say that they are great machines once you learn them!

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
How much of that 5k do you want to spend on a machine? Also, how much time are you willing to devote to learning it? There are a few great choices that I saw.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much of that 5k do you want to spend on a machine? Also, how much time are you willing to devote to learning it? There are a few great choices that I saw.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Well I don't want to spend it all lol.. but I would spend what I need to. As far as time it wouldn't be something I would do everyday but more of a weekend hobby and on trips. Helping friends or family with lost items and so on.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man forget another md- you got one already that it sounds like you don't use much.......

$5k would be a hell of a down payment on a Tahoe Q5!!!!!

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man forget another md- you got one already that it sounds like you don't use much.......

$5k would be a hell of a down payment on a Tahoe Q5!!!!!

If i lived close to much of any body of water i might but i already have a boat so no real need for it.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If i lived close to much of any body of water i might but i already have a boat so no real need for it.

Boat- check
Metal detector- check
Corvette...........soon to be check???

No seriously though- they don't sell those at bass pro?!?!

Ok so back to MDs! Do they sell the Teknetics T2 or Fisher F75 there? Because you could buy one of either by dropping about a grand and have MD awesomeness...... And still have 4k left?!?!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Idea.....do a lot of research and choose a nice MD then buy 2 of them.....one for you- and one for the old man?!?!

You guys can go digging together?!?!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idea.....do a lot of research and choose a nice MD then buy 2 of them.....one for you- and one for the old man?!?!

You guys can go digging together?!?!
I like this idea the best.

Bass pro has changed I guess. Last time I looked at metal detectors in there, all they carried were Bounty Hunters. Been a few years though.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boat- check
Metal detector- check
Corvette...........soon to be check???

No seriously though- they don't sell those at bass pro?!?!

Ok so back to MDs! Do they sell the Teknetics T2 or Fisher F75 there? Because you could buy one of either by dropping about a grand and have MD awesomeness...... And still have 4k left?!?!

t2 Teknetics® T2? Special Edition Metal Detector with 11'' and 5'' Coils | Bass Pro Shops

Fisher F75
Fisher Labs F75 Multi-Purpose Metal Detector | Bass Pro Shops
Fisher Labs F75 Multi-Purpose Metal Detector Combo | Bass Pro Shops

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard allot of good things on the F75 & not as scary to learn as the Etac

going from a coin master pro to Minelabs Etec could be major Culture Shock.
Especially for a part timer

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard allot of good things on the F75 & not as scary to learn as the Etac

going from a coin master pro to Minelabs Etec could be major Culture Shock.
Especially for a part timer

The learning curve will definitely be something that i will be working on and learning about. since the coin master pro pretty much identifies what your looking at. I dont have to memorize numbers for the time being but i will soon enough.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this idea the best.

Bass pro has changed I guess. Last time I looked at metal detectors in there, all they carried were Bounty Hunters. Been a few years though.

MY dad made it clear a while back he had no need or want to be out walking around. He was fine doing his stuff on the farm lol.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Seriously after looking at the available options and how much you would actually be using the machine, the Fisher F75 would be perfect. You'd have a great versatile machine that was very light from a reputable manufacturer as well as a nice chunk of change left over. FYI the Teknetics are great too especially their higher end models. They are made by the same people that make Fisher so they are very similar, but I still think that the F75 would be your best bet.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The learning curve will definitely be something that i will be working on and learning about. since the coin master pro pretty much identifies what your looking at. I dont have to memorize numbers for the time being but i will soon enough.

You don't have to memorize any specific numbers, even though that will happen naturally with time and use. Coins don't often come in as the "perfect" number anyways. Instead, think on terms of zones. This zone is pennies dimes and quarters, this zone is IHs and cruddy pennies, this zone is nickles, etc, etc.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously after looking at the available options and how much you would actually be using the machine, the Fisher F75 would be perfect. You'd have a great versatile machine that was very light from a reputable manufacturer as well as a nice chunk of change left over. FYI the Teknetics are great too especially their higher end models. They are made by the same people that make Fisher so they are very similar, but I still think that the F75 would be your best bet.

Well i do know that the f75 has 2 options. one is just the unit and the other is a kit with 2 more coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread