New Shipwreck - Take a stab at dating artifacts.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Jason,
Good luck to you. Are you having any better luck learning spanish than I have? :icon_sunny:

Been to the DR and I too like it there. Maybe when you find the pot of gold you will need another diver to help! Just a few weeks away from complete healing. I am not allowed to enter he water till all skin is completely healed.
Keep me in mind. I don't think Amelia will be getting wet his summer.

DL

my new figurehead for my home (if the culture center has my paper work finished by today)

Attachments

• Lynn\'s ship figurehead.jpg
    Lynn\'s ship figurehead.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,805
  • Lynn\'s ship figurehead.jpg
    Lynn\'s ship figurehead.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,790
OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's just cool Lynn, congrats on your healing...all of our prayers were answered. Yes, I'm loving the DR and my Spanish is getting better everyday. My school came from dating a Dominican girl, and wanting to communicate with her on a level deeper than "una mas cerveza?". LOL GFH - Believe me I know how lucky I am, tried for 2 years to get my permits in Florida to no avail. Being here with a valid contract on such a historic coast is certainly a blessing. Took a while to get used to the power going off and the way they drive down here, but i'm very well adjusted now.

We're moving the dredge boat from Luperon to the good site today, still missing a fitting or two for the filter system on the compressor for that boat so hopfully we'll get that Monday and be digging Tuesday. I'll definitely keep the pics coming, here's a few more unrelated pics that you guys might enjoy.

Anchor with a broken shaft from the other site.
P3030126 copy.jpg

One of our more interesting dive entry points
DSCN5994 copy.jpg

This is the view from my home, i prefer it without the waterspout most days.
DSCN5996 copy.jpg

Meeting with some local fishermen, how about that conference room.
P3030126 copy.jpg

Returning from a little cave exploration, found lots of Taino indian artifacts in the water inside...not to mention a few thousand bats. Really cool day!
DSCN7629 copy.jpg

A few of the bats near the entrance
DSCN7715 copy.jpg

The keelson and a little ballast from a wreck in the bay. This one was scuttled and burned, nothing on her but a few pottery shards. Once we excavated a bit, there was an incredible amount of hull structure down there, the most intact lower hull I've ever seen.
DSCN7654 copy.jpg

More of the same wreck...I'll try to get some video up of the excavation and structure.
DSCN7692 copy.jpg

Thanks for the diversion while I await my dives on Tuesday. :-)

Attachments

• DSCN5996 copy.jpg
    DSCN5996 copy.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,635
  • DSCN5994 copy.jpg
    DSCN5994 copy.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,651
  • DSCN7689 copy.jpg
    DSCN7689 copy.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 2,684
OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's a video you guys might enjoy. At first, you'll see Lubos Kordak (Bobadilla on TNET) monitoring the side scan screen, then later Greg Bounds (GoldHound on TNET) and myself enter the water without tanks and swim to dredge boat. We were heading over to check out the scuttled boat in the channel. 3 TNET members in one video. :)

Jason

If you want to see some more of our vids online, checkout:
http://www.youtube.com/user/jacklrea

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
you guys have a great website and great team, its very nice to see this s...t works. Gives hope to others out there, enjoy i truly envy you guys its only a matter of time and the wreck will show itself, thanks for sharing. GFH

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Man this is awesome,to see the artifact discoveries in HD like this...I have had my eye on this forum waiting to see something like this for a few years and now its here.....Thanks----------- you guys are legends and didnt even know it :D

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks GFH and Relic, you guys made Jack's day. He rarely gets compliments on all his work on the website and videos. We hope to have some more videos up today of us swimming around 18 seven ft. cannons and 7 big anchors. Then obviously video of us excavating the hull that goes with them in the next few days as well. We had a really hard time finding everything we needed for our compressor, so our excavation plans got pushed back a day. Tomorrow we will dig, I'm insanely excited about what we will find at the bottom of the sand pit.

SmithBrown, thanks for the info on the cannons, much appreciated and I'll have you some more measuremets and photos tomorrow.

RelicDude, thanks for the info you sent too...nice stuff man.

Keep watching for the new videos, any time now you will see the cannons, anchors, and ballast of the other wreck. I also plan to pull the sword blades out to remove some of the more stubborn encrustation this afternoon. If that happens, I'll put some better pics of them up too.

Jason

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason,
it sounds like you are having too much fun. You need to get your arse back to Sebastian and finish repairing the bimini on the Conq!

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
ScubaFinder said:
Thanks GFH and Relic, you guys made Jack's day. He rarey gets compliments on all his work on the website and videos. We hope to have some more videos up today of us swimming around 18 7 foot cannons and 7 big anchors. Then obviously video of us excavating the hull that goes with them in the next few days as well. We had a really hard time finding everything we needed for our compressor, so our excavation plans got pushed back a day. Tomorrow we will dig, I'm insanely excited about what we will find at the bottom of the sand pit.

SmithBrown, thans for the info on the cannons, much appreciated and I'll have you some more measuremets and photos tomorrow.

RelicDude, thanks for the info you sent too...nice stuff man.

Keep watching for the new videos, any time now you will see the cannons, anchors, and ballast of the other wreck. I also plan to pull the sword blades out to remove some of the more stubborn encrustation this afternoon. If that happens, I'll put some better pics of them up too.

Jason

Hey Jason, I just joined TN and read your thread and I wanted to say thanks also for the compliments on the Website and video postings from you guys on TN! WOW! I just finished putting new updates on the Website a few minutes ago!

It is great Lubos (Bobadilla) and Greg (GoldHound) and you are all in one spot so we can keep in touch with each other and the outside world especially since I run back and forth the 100 miles of our territory and don't get to see you guys as much as I would like but its great when we have two teams working each end towards the middle! We need two more teams starting in each direction from the middle towards each end now! I have been working this territory for over 20 years and now with you guys on the team we are really making great progress! What Fun! I am so glad you guys came down.

MonteCristi is going well and I can't wait to follow that classic scatter pattern we magged on Saxonia Shoal! Take plenty of videos and photos tomorrow and I will do the same and get them up ASAP! Then you can post them here on TN for everyone to share with us.

I read another thread here on TN where a guy wants to organize some people in to a larger group. I'm going over to his thread to maybe make a post too. His idea sounds interesting. I like it here! Interesting, knowledgeable folk and also Birds of a Feather.

I should be at the Luperon Yacht Club by 5pm today if you want to join me for a cold one and catch up! I got some great new videos from Javier from the 18 cannon site you can post here tonight or tomorrow if you have time.

Text me!
Jack

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pete... :D :D :D I'll be right there...just gotta excavate eleven sites, mag 300 square miles, and feed the cat. ;)

Jack, glad to see you made it here...I'll be at the yacht club about 7:00. Nice updates on the site...I'll go get the videos now.

Jason

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
Jason, I'll be there at 7 also buddy.

Here is the Mag Survery of Saxonia Shoals...what a classic scatter pattern huh? When can you bring over your side-scan sonar? We need more tools, boats and teams! ARRRGH!

Jack

Attachments

• Saxonia-mag-survey.jpg
    Saxonia-mag-survey.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 2,572

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
RELICDUDE07 said:
I like this one ,the music and the artifacts..Keep at it guys :icon_pirat:

Thank you RELICDUDEO7... that is one of my favorite production pieces also and I'm working on a new one for later but right now I'm posting raw HD video to get them to you as soon as possible. (If you have the capability to watch them in HD click on the little HD symbol on the bottom right of the player, if not it is still great quality at the regular setting and downloads faster.)

Here is a new video I posted last night of Jason (ScubaFinder) finding cannon and anchors and all kind of neat stuff on another new site. He and the crew are out as I type this working that site to uncover artifacts that will help identify the date and origin of this ship. All the anchors are broken off at the shaft and all are facing due west! WOW! What carnage! We are working with Dr. Lubos (Bobadilla) and his research. (Yes, Dr. Lubos is a Dr. now, he just recently received his PhD so congratulate him if you get the chance. What a great guy and he wrote the book on treasure in the Dominican Republic in both English and Spanish so he is a published author too! "Lost & Hidden Treasures of the Dominican Republic" (First Edition in Spanish in 2005 & Second Edition in English in 2008)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src= type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I uploaded two more videos last night of the same area with ScubaFinder in them on our YouTube Channel : http://www.YouTube.com/JackLRea check them out and post what you think of them here! I will have more videos and photos today and will try and post them tonight.
Jack

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for putting the vids up Jack...we got slammed out there today. The swell was up pretty good so we got bounced around into the coral enough for one day. We went in shallow and dove/detected the entire beach area as well as the East line back towards the wreck. Not much made it over the second reef line, so everything should be right there in the one large sand area. The swell is supposed to subside through tonight, so tomorrow we're dredging no matter what. On the bright side, we've got two boats there now and the 5 marines are within sight of the wreck 24/7. We didn't even put the HD camera in the water today...as hard as we were getting bumped into the coral we didn't see a point in "impact testing" the housing. Once again, tomorrow is the day...

Jason

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Hi Jason in your second to last youtube video at 3.25 on the clock there is a number of small cone shaped objects/artifacts with small handle on the side what are they do you have an idea? Appreciate any info or dates, Cheers and nice footage did some of the stuff come from Puerto Rico or DR? GFH

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
Goldfishhunter said:
Hi Jason in your second to last youtube video at 3.25 on the clock there is a number of small cone shaped objects/artifacts with small handle on the side what are they do you have an idea? Appreciate any info or dates, Cheers and nice footage did some of the stuff come from Puerto Rico or DR? GFH

Hi Goldfishhunter, I may can answer that easier than Jason since I shot the video and it was before Jason joined the team. I believe you are referring to the candle snuffers and they came off a ship we believe may have been dispatched by Napoleon to quell the Haitian uprising in Sept 1802 or maybe not but the year and nationality are correct just a question on the reason and name. We have recovered two bronze cannon from the site which you also probably saw in one of the videos along with muskets, swords, pistols and all kinds of fascinating stuff. If you want to see what else go to our site and click on the link for the "La Viete".
http://NorthCaribbeanResearch.com/La_Viete.html

As far as Puerto Rico and DR images, on one of my videos that starts out with the Coqui frog I did put in some shots of the fort El Morro and a building in Old San Juan across from the fort where we would like to have our museum eventually and I included those images for the great folks in PR to tie in with. Good eye, you are the only one to ever mention that some of the images seem to be from PR. I'm glad you enjoyed the videos and I got more coming soon!
Jack

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Jason,

Well done, brother! Pics are great, your results as well. Congratulations again, I am proud of you, Jas! Do you remember my search about ship bell from the 17th century found in this area?? I wish our wreck of 20 cannons would be the right one!

I just finished exchanging emails with Rick. I will there with you within next couple of days - please, tell Diego to bring me long wetsuit. In my age I already need it - and do not laugh!! Bye bye the times being under the water almost the whole day with 3 mm shorty.....

Best regards and lot of luck in digging in the next days! I only hope the weather will have mercy on you - it is windy and choppy down here around the Capital.

Lobo
(Bobadilla)

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Jack,

You are GREAT, my friend! Your pics and videos and the wole web page are really very nice and professional. I have only one complaint - I am not so fat in the real life as in your video, damn! >:(

Jack and Goldfishhunter, regarding La Viete, or better said "La Viette", the real story is way more complex and mysterious, I just sent complete update research about this shipwreck to Rick. But your data are correct - it was French ship and sunk in 1802 in front of Montecristi. I will tell you the whole stuff in the bar of Javier hotel in Luperon next week - I invite you for cold Presidente Bier!

Best reagrds,
Lobo

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My Brother!!!!

I’m really happy to see that you are well and living the dream. I miss the good old days sitting on the dock drinking Coronas, talking about our research, watching the dolphins and dreaming of finding the mother load.....I’m also glad to see that referring Bobadilla to North Caribbean Research has worked out for the best...I’m really happy to see my Compadre also living the dream. He really deserves it, he has worked very hard for many years.......

I’m still trying to make it happen here in Fl...As you well know I have join forces with another researcher and you wold be amazed with the results....Hopefully at some point you can come back so that we can finish what we started.....

Give my Compadre a big hug and have a drink of Brugal in my name..

All the best,

El Presidente

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
Great stuff! thanks for sharing you adventures! Good luck, I hope you find your pot of gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread