New Shipwreck - Take a stab at dating artifacts.

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Hi Jack, thanks for the reply, I was at El Morro weeks ago and in PR many times a year, its my neighbour. I can see it on a clear day. The site is awesome a museum would be amazing El Morro is a disapointment as there is little or nothing on display, a bronze gun looks English recovered in St.Kitts and donated. Its flat calm today, tomorrow and the next day should be fun, good luck and great work to all GFH.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Luis, great to hear from you man. You and L go find it, the two of you together are an un-beatable combo. I too miss those days on the dock, but as you can see my hands are pretty full here. We got a good hole started today, dredging is a lot slower than blowing, but I think I like it better because you are a lot less likely to miss or damage anything. Someday, I want you to visit and dive with us. Hopefully that day is not too far off.

Lubos, see you in a few days! Hopefully Jack will have some more videos up tonight. More of a dredge test and training than actual excavation today, but we are ready to dig hard tomorrow and the sea looks good. Diego has your wetsuit on the way.

Thanks to the rest of you too, I learned most of what I know either on treasurenet, or from members I met here. Thank god there are still a few countries out there like the Dominican Republc with the foresight to realize how beneficial the relationship between dedicated historians and professional salvors can be. If you ever get the chance, go through the Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo and see how this country's cultural heritage is displayed and available for the public to enjoy. The rest of the world should follow their lead.

Jason

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Jason,
Glad to see you are doing well in the DR. Thanks for your advice on the other thread. I'm going forward the only way I know how. I hope our team,when it gets together, has as much fun as yours. Aquanut

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
RELICDUDE07 said:
I like this one ,the music and the artifacts..Keep at it guys :icon_pirat:

Hey RELICDUDE07, Here is another production piece I just finished last night with music and one of the most beautiful sunrises I have seen in many years down here. Jason (ScubaFinder) and the Berry Boys are diving, dredging, metal detecting on the beach looking in the area researched by Lubos (Bobadilla) on a brand new site...yesterday they found more cannons and some other cool stuff and I will post videos of that tonight and they are out diving today as I type this and will post that tomorrow...sit back and pretend you are riding along...let me know if you enjoy it!
Jack

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah! Jason, Jack, Lubos and NCR et al: You do us a great service... it is the best of times!

Terry Armstrong sends

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Great stuff jack !!!!!!!!!you keep makeing them and i will keep watching em ;D Like you said for now its the best thing to being there,oneday soon i will make the long trip :icon_sunny: Not to get off subject but could you ask bob and friends to take a look at this thing i found.It was pumped up in a dredge pipe from the bay . Its made of solid bronze and has ERIN on it for ancient ireland, and alot of ancient symbols... And tell them thanks for any help............Relicdude

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Terry, that's quite a compliment coming from someone who has contributed more than his share to the cause. Maybe someday you'll publish my book. ;-)

Relic, glad you're liking the vids. On your artifact, very interesting. The only thing i've seen like it (in size, material, and fastener) was a saddle medallion that hung from a leather strap. Any ancient Irish, calvary carrying ships in your bay? Who knows, but that is my guess...and as you know, I'm usually wrong. :D

I'm tired........

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason:
You're might already be in the book. Ask Lubos.

Relicdude07... if it came from the vicinity of the Lofthus I can tell you something.

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
OMG! Jason (ScubaFinder) and Scott Berry get Attacked by a Swarm of Gigantic Pelagic Anaconda (anocandagiganticusmaranicuspelagicus) when they inadvertently dug into their sub-marine hive and Christopher Berry caught it all in HD VIDEO! It's terrifying! These giant sand-sucking, bottom-feeding behemoths defy all logic! One is at least 50 feet long and 8 inches in diameter and green and another is just as long but only about 4 inches in diameter and blue! I cringe when I watch Scott bash its brains out with a sledge hammer as Jason wrestles with its ugly head! Who knew treasure hunting could be so dangerous!

DON'T WATCH THIS VIDEO IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH AND DON'T LIKE THE THOUGHT OF SNAKES ON A WRECK!

Sorry, am I supposed to be serious on this forum at all times? I'm new here...it says so on the upper left of my post...so give me a break! :icon_jokercolor:
Hope some of you got a laugh anyways and no one is mad at me...
Jack

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ohhh boy Jack...you have got WAAAAAAY too much free time on your hands. Pretty funny though. :)

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi jack,

Can you send me, please, your Dominican mobile phone number to my PM? I lost it somewhere......
Thanks! As I wrote here before, your pics and updating of our web page are GREAT!

Lobo
(Bobadilla)

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Thats too funny!

Jason, I hope you guys are doing good and finding lots of "non-ferrous" artifacts! We certainly miss you here bud! Its been a long road and glad to see you living the dream.

Robert

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
RGecy said:
Thats too funny!

Jason, I hope you guys are doing good and finding lots of "non-ferrous" artifacts! We certainly miss you here bud! Its been a long road and glad to see you living the dream.

Robert

Thank you Robert! I was getting nervous since no one was commenting on the anaconda thingy I did...I was afraid I had alienated everyone with my silliness. It was raining and storming out and I was bored...what else can I say?
Thanks again, Jack

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Robert, we are doing very well here, getting better everyday. I miss you too bud, someday I'll make my way back to the U.S.A. But I'm guessing it will be after our 2 year lease exensions expire. :-)

Lubos, of course my brother, the answer is YES. Anytime I can help a guy like you out, I'm first in line. Anything you need, you let me know and it's yours. Give Blanchita a big hug for me, and I'll see you in a few days...I'll have a CD full waiting for you.

Jason

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jack the videos are great, keep'm coming...Its always good to see Jas in action..

Hey Jas I want one of those CDs too :wink: ;D

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
It was all good jack,i have just the right sick mind for all that...You keep up the good work,and have fun...Keep that jason busy dont let him have a day off :P relicdude

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
RELICDUDE07 said:
It was all good jack,i have just the right sick mind for all that...You keep up the good work,and have fun...Keep that jason busy dont let him have a day off :P relicdude

Thanks Robert, Chagy and RELICDUDE07 (although I'm still contemplating the "sick mind" statement! HA!)

No way is Jason getting a day off! It is still just a bit too windy today but starting to lay down nicely so as I am typing this Rick has the crew out cleaning the hull on "No Way Out" and later today making sure all tanks are full, everything is clean and stocking up an ice chest so we are ready bright and early tomorrow morning for what may be our best dig yet! WHOOHOO! I will post videos of that ASAP!

What do you guys think about this? I'm going to buy an Air Card for my laptop and hook up a camera top-side and go live from the excavation at a certain set time each day, say around 10-11AM Eastern so it is not too early on the West coast but not too late here, with an U/W camera suspended over the dig or carried around by Christopher Berry so you guys can watch in real time as we dig and chat and/or make comments etc. Would ya'll tune in and watch if I did that? Everyone that would, please comment so Rick can see that enough folks would watch so he will budget it. It is not really all that much money as I have most of the stuff already, I just need the Air Card which is only $60 per month with unlimited usage but the 32 foot "No Way Out" will have to go out for this as I can't do it from the smaller excavation boat, too great of a chance of being splashed by saltwater on my equipment, so more fuel. (I think it is possible to watch it later in the day or night too but it just won't be live...I will check that part out and let you know later...)

It will be posted on: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/shipwrecks so please, if you are interested comment here and go to the channel to see how it will look and click on Follow so you will be instantly notified when we are live plus the more "Followers" I have the more likely Rick will OK it...OK?

Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Jack

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A day off.....yeah right. ::)

Jack, I'm going to put my dive hoodie on and velcro one of our SplashCams to my head, we can hang the other one over the site, and switch back and forth for the live feed.

A quick update, the dredge head is laying on top of the timbers from the 18 cannon site. I also believe we are very close to the resting place of the vessel that the single cannon belongs to. We located a large debris field where the detectors were going off every 6-8" over a large area. The swell was so bad that we couldn't stay in one place at all, we picked up some spikes and other hardware just visually before deciding to call it a day. Two excavatable wrecks less than a mile apart...based on how nasty the reef system is there could be a few more close by (120 ft. up to 9 ft. in about 100 meters).

I honestly don't think we'll be able to get out tomorrow...the wind was blowing 20 knots at 8:30 this morning. Jack, post the video of the site from the beach...you guys should see where we have to anchor our little dredge dingy up...right between two coral heads that break the surface. Here's a pic, but only video does it justice...I just can't see a salvage team getting in there in old days.

Jason

DSCN7842 copy.jpg

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
Hey Jason, here is the video you wanted posted on the wave action and thanks for volunteering to wear a "helmet cam" for the live video attempt...only a couple of people have responded so far that they would like it but maybe we should try it anyways? Let's think about it and see what the response is...it sure is a lot easier to not do it...
Jack

Hey anaconda video fans...as the camera pans around the beach and heads back out...doesn't that look like a Giant Pelagic Anaconda crawling up onto the beach suffering with major head trauma? Ummm...Jack :icon_jokercolor:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread