Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some questions about the Silver uMax & detecting if you don’t mind:

• How come when I have it set at 5 cent I still pick up a lot of iron?
• All the tones sound the same to me, are they supposed to be different for different metal?
• Say I have it set at 1 cent, I may here little click sounds. Are these sounds of the metals I have discriminated out?
• Will the 9x8 coil make a big difference in my discrimination?
• How can you tell the depth on the Silver uMax?
• I have been digging almost everything because I am not sure about how this uMax works.
• How do you do it?

Here is what I do with the uMax: Usually have it set at foil and ½ way on sensitivity. If I get a tone I adjust the Disc up to 5 cent or higher and see if it is still there, if it is I flip to all metal to pin point it. Then I dig. Most of the time it’s foil, or a nail, or a large piece of iron. Am I doing this correctly?
I appreciate any help.

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax

Canman

Dec 6, 2009
Scottsboro AL
Detector(s) used
Omega8000, Silver Umax
U have the best machine U can buy for less than $250 .The best partner u can have for a Tesoro is a good set of headphones.Yes when u are hearing all the chirps it is the disc rejecting targets that is a HIGH trashy spot .Swing slow in these spots when u get the chirps swing over that spot again slow to see if it changes to a beep beep .It might be a nice silver quarter right beside that piece of trash the got rejected.The best all purpose coil for the silver u is the stock brown donut.Now on the sens hold the detector up in the air turn it way on up.Turn the sens up till the machine goes chirp ,chirp chirp then back it down till that goes away about 9-10.Swing it slow till u learn its language .When u get out in the country where u can get the sens to the Boost setting thats where u can get real depth. Sens is affected by high electricity that u have right in the middle of town when your at a tot lot .The 12x10 concentric will add depth too.Silver u only has one tone .Hope this helps. .O read this too.

Recognizing False Signals in Discriminate Mode

When operating in the Discriminate Mode, some “false signals” may be caused by 1) heavy concentrations of trash metal objects, 2) very large trash metal objects, or 3) electrical interference. These signals are generally short, choppy sounds and sound different than “good signals” (good target response sounds).

At the end of your sweep, as you reverse the coil direction, the detector is most susceptible to trash-induced noise. There are two ways to tell whether these sounds are good deep signals or trash “noise.” The first is by repeatability. Trash-induced noises will not be regular as you sweep the coil over the suspected target several times, whereas a good target response will be repeatable. The second method is to switch to ALL METAL Mode and check the target response sound. If the response is weak, it may well be a deep, good target. But if the response is very strong, it is probably trash. Note that a coin close to the surface can give a double beep sound, but it is regular and repeatable. Raising the coil an inch or two will restore the single beep on surface targets.

When searching in the Discriminate Mode, it is best not to use a higher DISC LEVEL setting than necessary. Nickels and most smaller rings are rejected when the DISC LEVEL is set to reject pull tabs on any metal detector that is a TR Discriminator like the Silver µMax. If you don’t dig any junk at all, you are surely passing up a lot of good finds as well. Set the DISC LEVEL only high enough to suit the conditions where you are searching. If there is any doubt whether a target is good or not, dig it.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
SkyPirate said:

• All the tones sound the same to me, are they supposed to be different for different metal?
• Say I have it set at 1 cent, I may here little click sounds. Are these sounds of the metals I have discriminated out?
• I have been digging almost everything because I am not sure about how this uMax works.
• How do you do it?

Here is what I do with the uMax: Usually have it set at foil and ½ way on sensitivity. If I get a tone I adjust the Disc up to 5 cent or higher and see if it is still there, if it is I flip to all metal to pin point it. Then I dig. Most of the time it’s foil, or a nail, or a large piece of iron. Am I doing this correctly?
I appreciate any help.

All the above is great info. Get a good set of headphones and start listening to those beeps. The silver loves iron, as do all Tesoros, but once you get used to it you can hear the difference. Iron has a nice beep but is scratchy at both sides of the beep or to one side of the target. I run mine at min. disc. and can tell you most of the time if the target is iron. But, a silver dime with a rusty nail on top of it does the same and so does an old coverall button. Once you get used to the silver, you will love it.

When in doubt, dig it out.

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canman said:
U have the best machine U can buy for less than $250 .The best partner u can have for a Tesoro is a good set of headphones.Yes when u are hearing all the chirps it is the disc rejecting targets that is a HIGH trashy spot .Swing slow in these spots when u get the chirps swing over that spot again slow to see if it changes to a beep beep .It might be a nice silver quarter right beside that piece of trash the got rejected.The best all purpose coil for the silver u is the stock brown donut.Now on the sens hold the detector up in the air turn it way on up.Turn the sens up till the machine goes chirp ,chirp chirp then back it down till that goes away about 9-10.Swing it slow till u learn its language .When u get out in the country where u can get the sens to the Boost setting thats where u can get real depth. Sens is affected by high electricity that u have right in the middle of town when your at a tot lot .The 12x10 concentric will add depth too.Silver u only has one tone .Hope this helps. .O read this too.

Recognizing False Signals in Discriminate Mode

When operating in the Discriminate Mode, some “false signals” may be caused by 1) heavy concentrations of trash metal objects, 2) very large trash metal objects, or 3) electrical interference. These signals are generally short, choppy sounds and sound different than “good signals” (good target response sounds).

At the end of your sweep, as you reverse the coil direction, the detector is most susceptible to trash-induced noise. There are two ways to tell whether these sounds are good deep signals or trash “noise.” The first is by repeatability. Trash-induced noises will not be regular as you sweep the coil over the suspected target several times, whereas a good target response will be repeatable. The second method is to switch to ALL METAL Mode and check the target response sound. If the response is weak, it may well be a deep, good target. But if the response is very strong, it is probably trash. Note that a coin close to the surface can give a double beep sound, but it is regular and repeatable. Raising the coil an inch or two will restore the single beep on surface targets.

When searching in the Discriminate Mode, it is best not to use a higher DISC LEVEL setting than necessary. Nickels and most smaller rings are rejected when the DISC LEVEL is set to reject pull tabs on any metal detector that is a TR Discriminator like the Silver µMax. If you don’t dig any junk at all, you are surely passing up a lot of good finds as well. Set the DISC LEVEL only high enough to suit the conditions where you are searching. If there is any doubt whether a target is good or not, dig it.

Thanks! :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
SkyPirate said:

• How do you do it?

I appreciate any help.

All the above is great info. Get a good set of headphones and start listening to those beeps. The silver loves iron, as do all Tesoros, but once you get used to it you can hear the difference. Iron has a nice beep but is scratchy at both sides of the beep or to one side of the target. I run mine at min. disc. and can tell you most of the time if the target is iron. But, a silver dime with a rusty nail on top of it does the same and so does an old coverall button. Once you get used to the silver, you will love it.

When in doubt, dig it out.

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
discovery_bound said:
Greetings SkyPirate,
I also use a Tesoro Silver and was frustrated the first month or so, but after I got used to the machine and how it sounds I absolutely love it. I found some info that may be useful for you.........hope it helps.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,174111.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,137248.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,88637.0.html

HH
DB

I read all of the above, they were great advice. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread