New to Forum and ID help

gpb1111

Greenie
Feb 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I started artifact hunting 10 years ago on and off. I fish, hunt, and golf and have 4 children (1 is 12 days old).

Enough about me though.

Found this Adena last month while checking a drainage creek from a cornfield while deer hunting:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456338740.174228.jpg

I found this while chasing saugeye yesterday. Any Ideas other than just a turtleback scraper? Was confused with the base:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456338827.627420.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456338838.411529.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456338849.163214.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
First - noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
outstanding.gif
Second - congrat's on baby number 4!
arrow_head.gif
Third - nice finds! Thanks for sharing...

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard. Nice finds. Don't know about your "scraper". We find lots of large chunks that have been hit with tillers, etc. Sometimes misleading.

OP
OP
G

gpb1111

Greenie
Feb 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little confused with the last post.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet. Nice Point you found ! The second item looks like it could have been used as a scraper. It looks like there are some small chips taken off what could have been the cutting edge, but I can't tell from the photo if they were intentional (by humans) or natural. I don't think the "stemmed" look of the base is significant. It looks like one large chip was taken off there, but it looks recent rather than ancient IMO.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well on the 1st point wow nice one. The 2nd to me looks like the maker couldnt figure out which way to go with it and then gave up. So I believe they never finished it but it sure makes a nice study piece. I find big pieces like that and wonder if they arent the base to a large knife to. Welcome to the forum and lets see some other of your finds. Most people rite now up north cant get out to do a hunt so they enjoy looking at something new. rock

S

stefen

Lets see if we can shed some light on the last post that led you to be confused...

By the way please understand that (The comment was made as an observation from an experienced TNer and was not meant to be negative or downgrading)

That being said, many times a farm plow, harrow or livestock can damage buried rocks and relics...it happens.

What may be thought of as a relic was actually an accidental happening and isn't man-made...

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lets see if we can shed some light on the last post that led you to be confused...

By the way please understand that (The comment was made as an observation from an experienced TNer and was not meant to be negative or downgrading)

That being said, many times a farm plow, harrow or livestock can damage buried rocks and relics...it happens.

What may be thought of as a relic was actually an accidental happening and isn't man-made...

Actually, he was referring to a post that was unrelated to the subject of his thread. It appears that post has now been removed.

OP
OP
G

gpb1111

Greenie
Feb 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That comment was in relation to a post that has since been removed.

OP
OP
G

gpb1111

Greenie
Feb 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the nicest point I've found and of course it was found when I wasn't really looking for one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread