goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
YoungBlood said:
Since I still don't have a real pan is there anything I should do to my pie tin. LOL

Eat the pie.

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
What are some signs I should look for when panning. Where I live is a real hilly woodsy place.

Attachments

• image-2307018506.jpg
    image-2307018506.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 203
  • image-1801390465.jpg
    image-1801390465.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 190

dabskie

Jan 30, 2013
Northeast Pa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey YoungBlood,,,your better off getting yourself a gold pan to learn the art of panning,,,if your paypal isn't set up there are places on line ,you can use your credit card,,,There cheap and you can get one anywhere from 8 to 15 bucks,,14 inch pan is pretty much standard and easier to use,,I prefer the pans with a large bottom,,makes it easier to swish around at the end. When I get a new pan, I just take it outside and get some dirt and small gravel and rub it all around the inside of the pan to break it in. It will be alot easier to learn with a real pan than a pie pan,,,To practice take apart a shotgun shell,,(be carefull) take a few bb's ,,flatten them and put them in the pan of dirt (make sure you count how many you put in,,5 is good ) and start panning,,,if you can recover those 5 flatten bb's you will recover any gold you have in your pan. And like someone mention eariler You Tube is full of video's on panning,,,Practice, Practice,,Practice,

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
dabskie said:
Hey YoungBlood,,,your better off getting yourself a gold pan to learn the art of panning,,,if your paypal isn't set up there are places on line ,you can use your credit card,,,There cheap and you can get one anywhere from 8 to 15 bucks,,14 inch pan is pretty much standard and easier to use,,I prefer the pans with a large bottom,,makes it easier to swish around at the end. When I get a new pan, I just take it outside and get some dirt and small gravel and rub it all around the inside of the pan to break it in. It will be alot easier to learn with a real pan than a pie pan,,,To practice take apart a shotgun shell,,(be carefull) take a few bb's ,,flatten them and put them in the pan of dirt (make sure you count how many you put in,,5 is good ) and start panning,,,if you can recover those 5 flatten bb's you will recover any gold you have in your pan. And like someone mention eariler You Tube is full of video's on panning,,,Practice, Practice,,Practice,

Thanks a ton, I'll start looking for a pan and practicing right away.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how do you even use paypal ahaha ive always used my rechargable walmart gift card

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
NJnuggetpirate said:
how do you even use paypal ahaha ive always used my rechargable walmart gift card

That's what I'm trying to figure out. LOL

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh sure...but not around here in Colorado. It is a question to ask of your local experts as "geology varies by geography".

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can there be gold where there isn't black sand?

Yes, remember, gold is heavier than black sand. So sometimes black sand will travel further and gold will drop out faster. But in general if you find black sand in a gold bearing area there is a good chance there might be gold nearby. Also gold can be attached to other minerals and rocks so it kinda depends on the situation.

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
NJnuggetpirate said:
has gold ever been found under the trees

I can't tell you for sure but I've heard that the roots are a great spot in gold bearing areas.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of times you might not see the black sand till you start panning, here you can shovel what looks like mud and when you pan it you'll see the black sand once you get most of the lighter material washed out and hopefully some gold in there with the black sand.
Thank ya cause I haven't seen ANY black sand around here.

Rh2racing

Feb 24, 2013
I am in marion cty (fairmont). I have heard of color being found in the ohio river but I havent made it over there yet. You do know they have gold pans at Cabela's, right?

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
Rh2racing said:
I am in marion cty (fairmont). I have heard of color being found in the ohio river but I havent made it over there yet. You do know they have gold pans at Cabela's, right?

No I didn't I'll have to get one next time I'm there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread