Brendan2007

Aug 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey everybody,

I am fairly new to this hobby. I bought a whites coinmaster gt a few months back, and ive been hunting the local fields/woods around my town. I haven't found anything spectacular, a few clads near my house...the majority of of my finds have been nails! I am discriminating iron&nails but they still show up. What am I doing wrong? Is it the detector settings or the places im searching? I sure would appreciate some input!

Upvote 0

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry things didn't work out on the whites. I have an AT and love it. Please take time to watch YouTube videos to get an idea also there are plenty of threads about how to use them on TN. We definitely try to help where we can and with you now joining the ATP club you will get tons of good advice.
Go get yourself a tube of plumbers silicone, its for O rings which you will need for the ATP and it helps you slide in the kind of hard headphone and coil plugs. $2 will save you a lot of headache especially if you break a connector pin.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

OP
OP
Brendan2007

Brendan2007

Aug 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks BZ,

Its probably for the better anyway. I was so disheartened to learn that this past weekend a fellow hunter who ive seen at previous sites was at a field I had been working. He was super helpful in trying to tweak my machine and help me get the right settings. We got to chatting and he told me he pulled a 1776 half cent right near a rock with his m6. I was so happy for him but sad at the same time because I spent a decent part of my day near that rock. Nonetheless he has an ATP also and had nothing but good things to say. I went home an ordered one right after, one day air!!! Its coming tmm:)

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My honest opinion is the coin master gt is a great starter machine, it offers what higher priced machines have..however the coil is concentric(spider coil) and not a double d. I assume you know the difference,if not here it is quick...imagine sweeping a floor with a broom..concentric coils output goes into the ground like a cone so starts off big @ top of ground but goes to a point deeper. If you are trying to find deeper stuff and the deeper you go the less coverage the coil gives you because it comes to a point like a cone. See? You have to overlap a lot so u don't miss a target.. A DD coil is like a broom has a wide area that sweeps the ground and allows u to cover more area and goes deep too, plus it separates targets way better.
You have a good machine, I know they make a really nice small DD coil for your machine.no need to jump to a newer/better machine, maybe upgrade your coil but you started off decent and don't let anyone tell you different. I don't know where u live but that property you're speaking of would drive me nuts, I'd be out there every day.

Concentric Coils.jpg Double-D.jpg Great post bzbadger

Last edited:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Brendan don't hesitate to ask if you have an issue. When I upgraded from my Garrett 350 within 2 months of owning it to an ATP I had no one to offer any assistance. One guy promised he would and is a well known YouTube videographer, figured I'd be up and running in no time with his help. For some reason he changed his mind, he hinted that he didn't want anyone at his honey hole sites which I didn't care about so he just tried to tell me what to do through text message, I ended that quickly and put detector to soil and learned on my own with the help of videos and a lot of reading.

OP
OP
Brendan2007

Brendan2007

Aug 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey guys

I just want to say I appreciate all of the help ive received from all of you !! Although the whites has let me down, yesterday I finally found something I consider worth posting ! I found it on the path to the side in the woods about4-5 inches down. I believe that its probably clasp to a cloak or something of the sort-probably fastened at the very top. Im guessing late1800s, maybe even early1900s. I think there is a shamrock type design on each circle. Its pretty cool !

ForumRunner_20130904_113902.png

ForumRunner_20130904_113918.png

OP
OP
Brendan2007

Brendan2007

Aug 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
BZ-

Here is a picture of that token!! If you look real close you can make the head out. It has a visible60, the18 is before it:) pretty cool if you ask me, first coin that old abes head was ever on!!

ForumRunner_20130911_031047.png

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can make out a little bit of it and that is a sweet find. I told one of the guys in our club what you had found and after 35 years of metal detecting he said he had only heard of such a thing. The guy has been all over the country detecting and when I told him you just started using the AT his jaw dropped which I was saying yep I know I know-how come I cant be that lucky.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did pretty much the same thing you did BZ. I did a lot of reading and watched videos but overall I learned the most from this site

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread