New to this

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
I'm new to this metal detecting thing. I bought a Garrett at Gold. I'm an impatient person, so I bought a bounty hunter pioneer to get me by until my Garrett arrived. But the pioneer I dug tons of iron and some pennies. I got my Garrett last night. I went out today took a bunch of pull tabs, quarter, nickel several pennies. I also got a earring I'm not sure if the diamond is real and two rings. I have noticed, there will be times. That I will get several different readings anything from 20 up to 80. I would dig these spots and I wouldn't really find anything. I am curious, say there's a few different targets and they're reading at 20 to 30. At any time would my metal detector add these numbers to give me an 80?

Upvote 1

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum and some iron change depending on how close or whether direct hit. Not finding anything in a park can be pocket spill pennies. Try coming in from only one direction, then probe around surface. More pennies you remove, more beeps become solid and unbroken. Iron close to coil while passing over a good target, can lower id reading also.

Welcome to TNet!

OP
OP
L

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
Aluminum and some iron change depending on how close or whether direct hit. Not finding anything in a park can be pocket spill pennies. Try coming in from only one direction, then probe around surface. More pennies you remove, more beeps become solid and unbroken. Iron close to coil while passing over a good target, can lower id reading also.

Welcome to TNet!
Thanks, I'm still trying to figure it all out. The only place I can really go is a lake about 30 miles south of where I am seems the sand on the beach isn't frozen. That and in the park under all the trees,haven't tried that yet. Will hit the beach again tomorrow.

OP
OP
L

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021

Welcome to TNet!
Would I be correct to think,gold rings will register close to the same as the tabs from a pop can or old beer tabs?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first thread - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would I be correct to think,gold rings will register close to the same as the tabs from a pop can or old beer tabs?
Yes, that is correct. Gold rings can register as a nickel or pull-tabs. Once at a beach I tried finding a concentration of those type readings. Decided to just start digging it all up. At first looked like all aluminum junk, then spotted gold. The gemini earring said 14K with a little diamond. Tried using a postage scales, don't know how accurate but the large heavy jewelry registered at close to 1 ounce.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

OP
OP
L

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
Yes, that is correct. Gold rings can register as a nickel or pull-tabs. Once at a beach I tried finding a concentration of those type readings. Decided to just start digging it all up. At first looked like all aluminum junk, then spotted gold. The gemini earring said 14K with a little diamond. Tried using a postage scales, don't know how accurate but the large heavy jewelry registered at close to 1 ounce.
Its funny, Everytime I kneel down to dig, I can hear my self thinking,fricken pull tab! So far it has been.i did find 2 rings and a ear ring yesterday which makes it worth it.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot, it turned out to be a tie pin, rather than an earring. Later dug a gold tie pin clip encrusted, from a trip to Arizona. After cleaning it by soaking in 50/50 mixture of water and white vinegar, it fit on the tie pin (like it had been made for it). The vinegar mixture, kept in plastic coffee jar with about 1" of silica on bottom. That silica was the construction type, but plain white beach sand is a good substitute. After overnight soaking, you slowly rotate the jar, keeping it tilted slightly.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, since it was gold, only the pin hole in clip and internal workings were encrusted. That makes it impossible to use, unless cleaned properly.

OP
OP
L

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
I forgot, it turned out to be a tie pin, rather than an earring. Later dug a gold tie pin clip encrusted, from a trip to Arizona. After cleaning it by soaking in 50/50 mixture of water and white vinegar, it fit on the tie pin (like it had been made for it). The vinegar mixture, kept in plastic coffee jar with about 1" of silica on bottom. That silica was the construction type, but plain white beach sand is a good substitute. After overnight soaking, you slowly rotate the jar, keeping it tilted slightly.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try 2-3 days, rotate a few turns, once or twice a day. Really depends on how well it is cleaning up. Modern encrusted zinc pennies can be ruined this way and be partially eaten up.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always used the silica lumber or builder supply places carry, they once mixed it with plaster for walls and concrete contractors probably still need it. Cement work contractors mixed it with pure powder and water to sponge down exposed surfaces. I would think white beach sand if cleaned, should work fine. Try cleaning it first with 50/50 water and white vinegar. The mixture should eat any lime minerals.

OP
OP
L

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
Go
Try 2-3 days, rotate a few turns, once or twice a day. Really depends on how well it is cleaning up. Modern encrusted zinc pennies can be ruined this way and be partially eaten good to

Try 2-3 days, rotate a few turns, once or twice a day. Really depends on how well it is cleaning up. Modern encrusted zinc pennies can be ruined this way and be partially eaten up.
Good to know thanks

OP
OP
L

Lilwiggles

Dec 22, 2021
I always used the silica lumber or builder supply places carry, they once mixed it with plaster for walls and concrete contractors probably still need it. Cement work contractors mixed it with pure powder and water to sponge down exposed surfaces. I would think white beach sand if cleaned, should work fine. Try cleaning it first with 50/50 water and white vinegar. The mixture should eat any lime minerals.
And this works for any find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions