Newbie Question, What is the split on items found on private property ?

H

herb

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As much as they ask for up to the point at which it no longer seems acceptable to you. There is no fixed, set or normal agreement. I have had success with "I'll give you first choice on all that I find". I would say any jewelry, especially engraved, is turned over to the landowner. Fortunately, or unfortunately, that one has never come up for me except when I was asked to help find a "known" lost ring. That was not the time to say "Here it is . . . but I'm keeping it."

Everything in their ground is theirs and it depends on the individual landowner how generous they want to be.

OP
OP
H

herb

Thanks Charlie, thats a good basis to work from.. today in southeastern ma. is a dank, cold, wet day, think it's a good day to go MD in those "tot lot's" you guy's and gal's are always talking about, a bad day to go door knocking..Lot's of good info here, keep it up..

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When asking for permission to hunt a property, I don't bring up the idea of sharing any finds unless the owner is hedging on the permission. Then I'll say something like, "I'd be glad to _share_ my finds with you." and leave the interpretation up to the owner. They usually respond with something like, "Well, OK, but if you find a million dollar... whatever... blah blah blah..." By then I'm off.

"Share" can mean lots of things. To me, it means I'll _show_ you what I found. I've not yet had an owner ask for or take anything from me. If/when I find something of real value (monetary/historic/sentimental), then I'll discuss it with the land owner. As Charlie pointed out, the stuff in the ground already belongs to them. So far, it hasn't happened...

DCMatt

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
If/when I find something of real value (monetary/historic/sentimental), then I'll discuss it with the land owner.
Good point, Matt.

It might not be a bad idea to show the landowner anything that could be traced to an individual (monogrammed, engraved...). They may not realize that something was lost until it's found.
"That used to belong to my friend's grandmother. I haven't seen that *whatever* in years! He'd be really happy to know that it was found!"

If you were to do something like that, there's a good chance that that good deed will spread, via word-of-mouth, to other landowners in the area...maybe opening up more opportunities.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
The split is 100 percent me and 0 percent any non-diggers. Unless they demand a split as mentioned already don't bring the idea up. Most folks won't even think about what you might find as they don't know anything is even there to find.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally don't bring it up unless they mention it as part of allowing me to detect. I tell them the truth, I have never sold anything I found and I don't intend to make a profit on anything I find. If just clad I keep it. Artifacts I photograph and try to donate to a museum if they are interested in taking them. I always ask if there is an expensive object or heirloom that they have lost and offer to return it if found and after I photograph it. Most of the time they just say something like "have at it". If they don't ask for anything, I generally give them some little memento just to be friendly and hope to come back some time. Monty

nowwhat

Jun 1, 2006
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic lll
I use 2 pockets, one for me, and one for the owner, good stuff in mine, junk in his, it's the pirate in me

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to totally agree with Monty. I've never had any problem with land owners as it is their land an I am a guest. I try to show them what I've found at the end of my visit and have been offered a drink and such when I've been done hunting. Most folks are very interested in our hobby and it helps to share finds and experiences. It's opened may new areas for me just by word of mouth and I enjoy the company too.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As funny as I find nowwhat's quote, I'd have to say that I would be open to show any and all finds detected on someone's property. It is their property...

If the subject of splitting it comes up, I say a 50/50 split sounds fair enough. And for goodness sake, if an important find comes up, why not just at least give the property owner the chance to keep it instead of hoarding it all for yourself? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have some really important find just as much as anyone else on here... but I do realize that it's generally going to be other people's property that I detect on instead of my own. I know some of us detect to gain as much monetary/historical stuff as possible... but I just don't see what's wrong with being upfront and honest... not to mention just enjoying the hunt!
Even if it's some coveted pull-tabs or bottle caps, the rules aren't always "you find it, you keep it". But I think some of the people on here are right on in saying that alot of people that may allow you to detect their property may not care at all about what is found or that they get to keep it all. If I couldn't keep the stuff, I'd just mainly want a pic of it for my records before giving it to the owner...

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread