Newbie questions: CRH for halves

honcho

Jul 25, 2007
Scappoose, OR
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Ok, I have done some pennies and want to try halves. I have a box on order, but I have a couple questions on banks and finding rolls. We only have 3 in town and all three said nope we haven't got any. Is this more the norm and finding a bank that actually has rolls rare?? Or do the tellers say no because they dont want to look? Also is calling a bank before going a good idea or is it better to stop in and take your chances. Are small individual banks better than chain banks? Any help, tips etc are appreciated.

Thanks!
Christine

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Christine. Another woman....wahoooo.

When asking for halves at banks I always ask them to check the vault in a nice way. If they have some that is where the goodies will be in some cases. Some tellers get a little lazy on ya.

Personally I have called banks and also just stopped in. As for the big/small bank issue. I like the old small banks, but have done well with both. Check them all. Don't leave any stones unturned. Persistence is the key I think.

Good luck on your box and keep us posted on the results.

OP
OP
H

honcho

Jul 25, 2007
Scappoose, OR
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Thanks, I was really wondering about the tellers. They say no so quickly. Are the tellers usually aware of what is in the vault?? I will let you know. The bank gets shipments on thursday and the gal wasn't sure if the order went in for this thursday or next.

One bank I asked about halves and the only halves they had they said was from the coin machine. I said thats just fine. She then told me that they could not sell the coins from the machine. I asked about buying the bag once it is full and they said no they are not allowed to do that either. Basically once it goes in the counter there is no way to get it. Uggg anyway...guess which bank just volunteered to be my dump bank :P (I have an account there and it is supposed to be unlimited coin counting).

Christine

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if they don't have any halves today doesn't mean they won't have any tomorrow. I'd go back and check every few weeks. You never know when grandma is gonna turn in ol' Pop's collection. ;)

OP
OP
H

honcho

Jul 25, 2007
Scappoose, OR
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
So far I know that two of the banks will not accept rolled coins, they all go into the coin counter. One of the banks was willing to put my name on the bag of halves so when it is full I can buy it. The other bank said nope it all gets sent out. So I will have to check the neighboring areas to see about their "roll" policy.

Christine

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
honcho said:
...I was really wondering about the tellers. They say no so quickly.
That happened to me last saturday. A teller said no so fast after I asked I challenged him by asking "you know the contents of every tellers tray and the vault?" He backed down and checked and found several halves but none were worth more than 50 cents. ;D

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately the word NO is very very very easy to say and in many cases what peoples first reaction is. When dealing with most people be as friendly as possible, a little smile and polite talk can get ya a long way.
Also, approach who ever looks to be in charge, talking directly with the vault manager helps. I find a lot of tellers say no just because they dont know at all. Then when I ask them to check all the sudden a few hundred bucks worth to a couple rolls pop up!
Best advice is to be polite and look professional.
Dont be pushy, And remember, we live in a silent but classist society. dont dress like a redneck, but dont get fancy, dress slightly down from the way the bank people are and they will relate too you better on that class issue, Always thank them and keep in high spirits. And bode yourself with self confidence when asking, it helps.
If you hold your self with self confidence people feed of it and you can get a command presence and people will do the darnedest things for you...even when they are not supposed too :) But dont attempt to try to command authority either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread