Newbie stopping in to say Hi

bluH2oman

Greenie
Mar 19, 2016
Forgotten Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, been lurking for a while and just signed up because I have recently moved to the florida panhandle and live just a few feet from the beach. Just before I moved here a buddy gave a a md. Its nothing special,(sharpshooter II) but its a start. Ive always been interested, and now I believe I may have a new affliction. Just spent an hour out on the beach, nothing to report, but Im heading back out in a bit. Still trying to learn the thing as of right now. Earlier I was getting hits, but nothing coming out of the ground. I'll get it figured out though. Im already eyeing up what md I will purchase next. Good luck guys and gals. Hopefully I will have something to report-show later on. :icon_thumright:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Think about a pin pointer for those hard to find targets. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

OP
OP
B

bluH2oman

Greenie
Mar 19, 2016
Forgotten Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcomes. Well, I spent a few hours out on the sand. Got tons of hits, but for some reason.....nothing there. must have dug thirty holes, have a pin pointer, just didnt find anything. I tested the unit at the house with a few different metals. Worked fine. Not sure what is up, but I'll keep at it. Ran into a guy yesterday that said he has a bud who found 52 rings in the month of april last year. Ive got a big area rug in my house that Im going to put some stuff under to help me learn the machine a little better. I think my problem yesterday was I couldnt narrow down enough of where to dig. It was kinda weird, got good solid hits, dug the hole..... nothing, then ran the machine back over the hole and nothing. Ghosts. Well Im not going to give up, Ive got the bug, and havent even found anything yet. Once I pull something out I might as well sew the thing to my arm. I dug most of the holes to around a foot deep and a couple wide.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, depending on the detector you are using, I have some tips. If your using an entry level detector that does not have an adjustable ground balance, you will get a lot of interference from the salt. You will have to turn your sensitivity down, especially when you get to the wet sand. Rather than try under your rug (there is rebar in your floor), take it outside and sprinkle coins on the grass.

At the beach, take a nickel with you and set the discrimination on your detector to just below nickel. In other words, be sure it is picking up a nickel signal. Nickels are close to the gold range. When you get to spots at the beach where you keep getting signals, throw your nickel down and see if you can hear it near the other targets. I think you are running into either mineral interference from the salt, or some deep cans.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

fireaero1

Jul 14, 2012
Gallitzin,pa
Detector(s) used
white eagle ll SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to t/n. have fun and don't get discourage. Tom in central pa

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome bluH2oman to TNET and wish you many great finds dirt fishing. You just might need to upgrade your MD for beach hunting.

Texas ED

OP
OP
B

bluH2oman

Greenie
Mar 19, 2016
Forgotten Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, depending on the detector you are using, I have some tips. If your using an entry level detector that does not have an adjustable ground balance, you will get a lot of interference from the salt. You will have to turn your sensitivity down, especially when you get to the wet sand. Rather than try under your rug (there is rebar in your floor), take it outside and sprinkle coins on the grass.

At the beach, take a nickel with you and set the discrimination on your detector to just below nickel. In other words, be sure it is picking up a nickel signal. Nickels are close to the gold range. When you get to spots at the beach where you keep getting signals, throw your nickel down and see if you can hear it near the other targets. I think you are running into either mineral interference from the salt, or some deep cans.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Thanks for the tips. I did turn my discrimination way down yesterday and had some luck. Well, kinda. Found about 20 tent stakes, and two pennies. I found that in the tidal pools, while dry, are ping ping doink doink brr brr, almost constant varying tones. I was guessing some sort of mineral interference. As one poster mentioned, Im already intending an upgrade in equipment.

OP
OP
B

bluH2oman

Greenie
Mar 19, 2016
Forgotten Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome bluH2oman to TNET and wish you many great finds dirt fishing. You just might need to upgrade your MD for beach hunting.

Texas ED

Any recommendations? Ive done a little research, but you know how it goes, everyone has the best and all the others stink.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have a sand scoop... get one. I like the long handle type that break down so you also have a short handle one in one unit.
welcome by the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread