Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road tripped to St. Louis Sunday to meet and hunt with Nick Pappagiorgio.

I first hunted O'Fallon park for a couple of hours before meeting Nick. I didn't find much there...finding ONLY one coin..but it was an 1877 Seated quarter. :icon_sunny: With this signal I could hear a nice high tone coming through the trash at times if you wiggled the coil just right. I dug down about 7"...and popped out an old style round tab ???....not good. ::) I then ran the probe again in the 7" hole and it sang the silver song this time. I plopped out another 2" of dirt...and from almost 9" down...out popped the seated quarter. :thumbsup:

I then headed to Forest Park to meet up with Nick. Well...I was supposed to be there at 11:00...but at 11:20 realized in all the construction...that I'd missed my exit and was now 10 miles beyond where I wanted to be ::)
I called Nick to let him know and he was cool about it :D
Anyway..finally got there and met Nick for the first time. He is a great guy...and his personality is EXACTLY as he posts.....RIGHTEOUS :thumbsup:.. He and I hunted the Worlds Fair Pavillion hill for a couple of hours.
I hunted a little washed out gulley that ran from the top of the hill to about 30 feet from the bottom. I ended up finding a few wheaties...1 silver Roosey...and the 1889 Injun at this spot.

About 1:30 or so...he and I met up again with some other fellers'..at a spot outside Forest Park where I pulled two half dimes out of last year. This is where we wanted to do some more comparisons...experimenting...and just piddling around listening to each other's signals.
I wasn't there 1/2 hour before getting a nutty hit that I wanted to investigate. :tard: It wasn't deep...but it sounded goofy..and it was near the spot where the first half dime came from. I dug down about 7" and popped out a nasty corroded zinc cent. ??? I then rechecked the hole and kept getting a weird signal off the side of the hole. :icon_scratch: I was getting just enough of one that I decided to dig the hole a little more around. It seemed to be off to the far edge so I dug more out...then stuck the Lesche towards the bottom edge. I pried up a couple of roots...and as they broke... this little thin silver slug literally popped out and landed right on top of the dirt pile. :thumbsup: I picked it up and could not believe how worn it is. In my 30+ years of hunting I have never found a silver coin this worn thin...so much so that it has a hole in it. ;D One guy thought it was a worn Barber dime...but I could make out 185? as the date...so it couldn't be a barber. I then held it just right and looked at the back and saw Half Dime barely ledgible. It may be UGLY and worn...but it IS a Half Dime..and it's all mine. :D
I later looked at it under a jewelers loop and see it is an 1856. If you look at one pic of it..you can make out most of the date at the bottom. The other pic which shows the back...if you look closely...you can make out the H of half dime. I couldn't get the scan to show it...but you can read the whole Half Dime if you hold this beauty just right in the light ;D

I then moved to a different area that had more open ground.
After wandeing around for another 2 hours or so.... I finally located a "deepie". All of us messed around with this signal for a while...so much so that after a half hour ...I was tired af gibbering..and was itchin' to dig. :laughing7: Anyway...it was the exact sound I always talk about in my posts. It was a higher pitched...yet faint..."warbly" sound that tells me "deep coin"...and the depth meter was absolutey buried. I remember saying "I've probably dug 50 silver coins this year that sounded like this...but also 100 pieces of trash that sounded like this...so we'll see what pops out".
I dug a deep plug ...then ran the probe. It sang "coin" this time. Finally...I knew I had a deep coin. With Nick and the others watching...I dug down another 2" ...and the probe still sang. By now I was down 9"...so I dug another clod out...and the probe still sang. I dug yet another clod out and one guy said..."there it is". From a very honest 11" down...out came an 1883 Injun. :thumbsup: I am thankful and happy I was able to find it with Nick and the other guys there. :o
All in all...a GREAT day meeting and hunting with Nick and the other fellers'. Although it wasn't silver...I was very happy...and LUCKY...that I was able to locate an 11" deep injun so a couple of the guys could hear what I was talking about in my posts.
My total for the day was 1 Seated quarter...a few wheaties...2 injuns...a roosey...and the beautiful MS65 1856 Half dime. ;D I also found a sterling lobster clasp from a broken bracelet at 7"deep..and also part of the broken bracelet... and showed Nick....but I must have lost it in the shuffle of leaving and heading home ::)
All in all a GREAT day..and Nick is a blast to hunt with. It was cool meeting him after communicating with him over the last couple of years on the forum. He brought us some RIGHTEOUS "Sammiches" to snack on and also some gatorade. :thumbsup: He's just a really cool feller' and I will definately hunt with him again :thumbsup:

Attachments

• coins117.jpg
    coins117.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,350
  • coins118.jpg
    coins118.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,387
  • coins119.jpg
    coins119.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,356
  • coins120.jpg
    coins120.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,348
  • coins121.jpg
    coins121.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,350
Upvote 0

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Fantastic,terrific Finds! But the best of the lot is Mr Nick! He is the the best you will ever find or meet.I envy your outing with him.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Great stuff!!

One day I hope to be lucky enough to hunt with Nick. Bryce I wish you would teach me how to find those deep coins!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Wow,

Great finds for sure. Your making finding treasure look easy man. Looks and sounds like a good time.

HH Jer

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Bryce,Could you record this sound your talking about an put it on youtube? I'm curious of how it sounds.. you had a really good day, I can only hope my next time out will be 1/4 as good as yours...

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer
Bryce You are having a great year :thumbsup: nice finds congrats were you using your sef or pro coil HH

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great hunt, super finds pulled from the deep WTG :icon_thumleft:
Glenn

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
Re: Nick Pappagiorgio and I hunted in St.Louis Forest Park. Got some SEATED SILV

WTG Bryce,Looks like you guys had a great hunt. I wanted go ,I would have like to met Nick. Congrats on The silver and meeting new friends !!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, that's awesome, Bryce!! You get to hunt with a Righteous guy, and also dig seated coins!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good post!! I'm glad you got to show off your deep detecting skills to some of our forum members! It's really difficult to tell others in writing how one of those deepies sounds like.

Congrats to you again, buddy! :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Re: Nick Pappagiorgio and I hunted in St.Louis Forest Park. Got some SEATED SILV

Man, you are killin me with your great coin finds. ;D A seated quarter is on my list of to finds. That is a sweet find. :icon_sunny:

I was with a guy in New York when we found a pocket spill of two seated dimes and a barber dime in one hole. One of the seated dimes was paper thin, missing it's rim but had great detail. Very wierd.

Very cool to meet up with Nick. Did you teach him any of your tricks? Were there any signals you could get with your machine that he couldn't?

Bob

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a good time! Sorry I missed out on the fun (I was only about 10 miles away on the Illinois side on Saturday).

As much as Forest Park has been hunted, it's refreshing to see there's still something left from way back when..and you had a great day weatherwise :icon_sunny:

How deep was that Indian? Were many people out detecting there that you could see?

Glad you guys had fun!

Nat

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
MORE sweet coins! Nice!
I'm hoping to get out a few more times still, but the snow's coming soon now.
They got 6 inches of snow today, just 20 miles north of here.
But only rain here so far.
I just hope we get some more warm days, and the ground doesn't freeze for awhile!
Again, Great finds!

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field

Bryce,

You are a deep-seeking silver maniac....uh....freak. Thanks for sharing your story.

Jim

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver you lucky Righteous dude. First, you got to meet Nick. Second, you got to find some great coins. Third, you scored some righteous Nicky P sammies.

What a day :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hal

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o You got to hunt with Nicky baby!? :icon_pirat: Woot! And sounds like you had a great hunt, Silver! 8) I bet you could make a video of your hunts with that SE and make a fortune selling them! :D

Awesome finds!!! :thumbsup: Nana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread