Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road tripped to St. Louis Sunday to meet and hunt with Nick Pappagiorgio.

I first hunted O'Fallon park for a couple of hours before meeting Nick. I didn't find much there...finding ONLY one coin..but it was an 1877 Seated quarter. :icon_sunny: With this signal I could hear a nice high tone coming through the trash at times if you wiggled the coil just right. I dug down about 7"...and popped out an old style round tab ???....not good. ::) I then ran the probe again in the 7" hole and it sang the silver song this time. I plopped out another 2" of dirt...and from almost 9" down...out popped the seated quarter. :thumbsup:

I then headed to Forest Park to meet up with Nick. Well...I was supposed to be there at 11:00...but at 11:20 realized in all the construction...that I'd missed my exit and was now 10 miles beyond where I wanted to be ::)
I called Nick to let him know and he was cool about it :D
Anyway..finally got there and met Nick for the first time. He is a great guy...and his personality is EXACTLY as he posts.....RIGHTEOUS :thumbsup:.. He and I hunted the Worlds Fair Pavillion hill for a couple of hours.
I hunted a little washed out gulley that ran from the top of the hill to about 30 feet from the bottom. I ended up finding a few wheaties...1 silver Roosey...and the 1889 Injun at this spot.

About 1:30 or so...he and I met up again with some other fellers'..at a spot outside Forest Park where I pulled two half dimes out of last year. This is where we wanted to do some more comparisons...experimenting...and just piddling around listening to each other's signals.
I wasn't there 1/2 hour before getting a nutty hit that I wanted to investigate. :tard: It wasn't deep...but it sounded goofy..and it was near the spot where the first half dime came from. I dug down about 7" and popped out a nasty corroded zinc cent. ??? I then rechecked the hole and kept getting a weird signal off the side of the hole. :icon_scratch: I was getting just enough of one that I decided to dig the hole a little more around. It seemed to be off to the far edge so I dug more out...then stuck the Lesche towards the bottom edge. I pried up a couple of roots...and as they broke... this little thin silver slug literally popped out and landed right on top of the dirt pile. :thumbsup: I picked it up and could not believe how worn it is. In my 30+ years of hunting I have never found a silver coin this worn thin...so much so that it has a hole in it. ;D One guy thought it was a worn Barber dime...but I could make out 185? as the date...so it couldn't be a barber. I then held it just right and looked at the back and saw Half Dime barely ledgible. It may be UGLY and worn...but it IS a Half Dime..and it's all mine. :D
I later looked at it under a jewelers loop and see it is an 1856. If you look at one pic of it..you can make out most of the date at the bottom. The other pic which shows the back...if you look closely...you can make out the H of half dime. I couldn't get the scan to show it...but you can read the whole Half Dime if you hold this beauty just right in the light ;D

I then moved to a different area that had more open ground.
After wandeing around for another 2 hours or so.... I finally located a "deepie". All of us messed around with this signal for a while...so much so that after a half hour ...I was tired af gibbering..and was itchin' to dig. :laughing7: Anyway...it was the exact sound I always talk about in my posts. It was a higher pitched...yet faint..."warbly" sound that tells me "deep coin"...and the depth meter was absolutey buried. I remember saying "I've probably dug 50 silver coins this year that sounded like this...but also 100 pieces of trash that sounded like this...so we'll see what pops out".
I dug a deep plug ...then ran the probe. It sang "coin" this time. Finally...I knew I had a deep coin. With Nick and the others watching...I dug down another 2" ...and the probe still sang. By now I was down 9"...so I dug another clod out...and the probe still sang. I dug yet another clod out and one guy said..."there it is". From a very honest 11" down...out came an 1883 Injun. :thumbsup: I am thankful and happy I was able to find it with Nick and the other guys there. :o
All in all...a GREAT day meeting and hunting with Nick and the other fellers'. Although it wasn't silver...I was very happy...and LUCKY...that I was able to locate an 11" deep injun so a couple of the guys could hear what I was talking about in my posts.
My total for the day was 1 Seated quarter...a few wheaties...2 injuns...a roosey...and the beautiful MS65 1856 Half dime. ;D I also found a sterling lobster clasp from a broken bracelet at 7"deep..and also part of the broken bracelet... and showed Nick....but I must have lost it in the shuffle of leaving and heading home ::)
All in all a GREAT day..and Nick is a blast to hunt with. It was cool meeting him after communicating with him over the last couple of years on the forum. He brought us some RIGHTEOUS "Sammiches" to snack on and also some gatorade. :thumbsup: He's just a really cool feller' and I will definately hunt with him again :thumbsup:

Attachments

• coins117.jpg
    coins117.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,351
  • coins118.jpg
    coins118.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,388
  • coins119.jpg
    coins119.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,357
  • coins120.jpg
    coins120.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,349
  • coins121.jpg
    coins121.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,351
Upvote 0

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
silverfreak said:
I didn't find much there...finding ONLY one coin..but it was an 1877 Seated quarter. :icon_sunny:

Nice!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm glad you guys had a good time out there together! I felt something shift in the earth's center of gravity, now I know it was because of all the heavy hitters congregating in St. Louis!! Congrats on the great finds, and thanks for being willing to share all your expertise with the Minelab!! :icon_king:

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Re: Nick Pappagiorgio and I hunted in St.Louis Forest Park. Got some SEATED SILV

Nice finds! And with Nick making the sammies that had to be a good day... I don't know if I've drooled more over the finds here on TNet or the recipes that Nick has posted.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
great finds, I love the way your posts are so descriptive, it's like I am right there w/you
Thanks G-4

sodapoptop said:
What could be better than a day out with fellow detector friends, and great ones at that! Then to top it off... those Super SWEET finds. SUPERB :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I am jealous! Keep it up.
Thanks SPT. Hunting with friends made it that much better.

EDDE said:
I am Nick Pappagiorgio's evil twin and we approve this message
;D ;D

Nana40 said:
:o You got to hunt with Nicky baby!? :icon_pirat: Woot! And sounds like you had a great hunt, Silver! 8) I bet you could make a video of your hunts with that SE and make a fortune selling them! :D

Awesome finds!!! :thumbsup: Nana
Thanks Nana. Hopefully it would pay a little more than being a personal trainer does ;D

eathabs said:
Silver you lucky Righteous dude. First, you got to meet Nick. Second, you got to find some great coins. Third, you scored some righteous Nicky P sammies.

What a day :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hal
Thanks Hal. I do believe the sammies were the highlight of the hunt...next to meeting Nick of course.

ziphius said:
Bryce,

You are a deep-seeking silver maniac....uh....freak. Thanks for sharing your story.

Jim
Thanks Jim. Glad you enjoyed it.

Wheresthegoodstuff said:
Great finds. Always great to have good company to hunt with also, makes finding a good find even better.
Thanks...and I agree 100%

The Buzzard King said:
MORE sweet coins! Nice!
I'm hoping to get out a few more times still, but the snow's coming soon now.
They got 6 inches of snow today, just 20 miles north of here.
But only rain here so far.
I just hope we get some more warm days, and the ground doesn't freeze for awhile!
Again, Great finds!
Thanks BK. I fugure the next month will be hit and miss.

TimC said:
Great hunt, and finds.

TimC :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks Tim

Mr_Mojo_Risin said:
Very cool! Half dimes rock
Thanks Mojo.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Congratulations you guys on a fabulous hunt. I hope for many more.
Chris
Thanks Chris. :thumbsup: The bad weather's comin' though ???

halfdime said:
Great story, great coins and the experience of a lifetime, hunting with Nick! I'll bet those were no ordinary sammiches!
Thanks HD. As a matter of fact...the sammiches were NOT ordinary. They were righteous. :thumbsup:

River Rat said:
Bryce,

Getting to meet and hunt with Mr. Righteous is a stellar thing. Glad you guys had a great hunt and congrats on those awesome finds. :thumbsup:

:wink: RR
Thanks RR. Nick is a cool dude...and a blast to hunt with.

Lowbatts said:
Sounds like a great time and a good trip! Nice digs and keep 'em coming.
Thanks lowbatts

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Wow,

Nick Pappagiorgio and Silver Freek go hunting... Wish I was there, that must of been one fun hunt. Seems like everyone had their fun and lots of it. :thumbsup:

Righteous !! ;D

:coffee2: :wink:

Keep @ it and HH!!
Thanks MUD. You might say we were a team of "Righteous Freaks" ;D

SC_hunter said:
Sounds like a great hunt and some mighty nice finds...Hmmmm...wonder ifn yall would wander down south and maybe Nick can bring some sammiches..lol WTG....
Thankls SC. The sammiches were the highlight of my hunt :thumbsup:

UTcoinshootR said:
If that half dime could talk! Nice finds, sounds like a blast.
Thanks UT. If the halfdime could talk...it would say..."OUCH" ;D

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kimsdad said:
silverfreak said:
I didn't find much there...finding ONLY one coin..but it was an 1877 Seated quarter. :icon_sunny:

Nice!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm glad you guys had a good time out there together! I felt something shift in the earth's center of gravity, now I know it was because of all the heavy hitters congregating in St. Louis!! Congrats on the great finds, and thanks for being willing to share all your expertise with the Minelab!! :icon_king:
Thanks bro. "heavy hitters"?...not me. I'm just a "freak" that like to hunt ;D

Detectingfreak said:
Sounds like you guys had a great day! Really nice job on the half dime even if it is really faded! :thumbsup:
Thanks DF

civilman1 said:
Now THAT would be a fun hunt Bryce....Very awesome dig's my friend and a big High Five on the Half Dime!!! :thumbsup: Love token or not.I'll bet it was a toss up between the "sammiche's and the Seated ;D Again Congrat's on an awesome day!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Civ. I have to lean towards the "sammies" :thumbsup:

Quote from: silverfreak on Today at 11:18:21 AM
Thanks Nat. It was a blast and you would have been more than welcome to come along. It would be fun to meet you and hunt with you. I didn't notice any other people hunting..but there were 5 of us.
The 1883 injun I found was an honest 11" deep...and that's no bull.
Take care Nat. If I get to head your way again...I'll slip you a PM. I didn't realize you were that close...I'm sorry.

No apologies necessary..Nick already told me about it earlier in the week. The only time I had to hunt was Saturday a.m. so I declined..if we ever hunt together I could ward off all the evildoers in the area much easier with you guys than if I were alone (I'll never hunt in St. Louis city by myself)

Take care
Nat
[/quote]
Trust me...I won't hunt alone at those parks again either. It was much more comfortable with four of us :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Nick Pappagiorgio and I hunted in St.Louis Forest Park. Got some SEATED SILV

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
silverfreak said:
I am beginning to think the half dime may be a love token.

Bryce ... I almost called you on the way home ~ I was thinking the EXACT same thing ...

Our man "MERF" here on TNET found a half dime love token very similar ...

It was insane how you nailed that beautiful thin sliver of argento ... :thumbsup:

I am still thinking of that I.H. that was buried halfway to China ... ;D

What a great day ~ Nick
You are right my brother..it was an AWESOME day. I would have still considered it as such regardless if I found anything or not :thumbsup: I'm seriously thinkin "love token" on the half dime :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD-777 said:
What? No sandwich pictures?! :wink: ;D

Congrats on the spectacular digs Bryce - looks like it was a good day all around my friend... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks buddy. It was a blast. Nope...no "sammie" pics...there all gone...and man were they good. :thumbsup:

Dman said:
Those are amazing. You are the King of the SE.
Dman
Thanks Dman. I'm not the king but I AM a "silverfreak" ;D :wink:

NHbenz said:
Nice finds! And with Nick making the sammies that had to be a good day... I don't know if I've drooled more over the finds here on TNet or the recipes that Nick has posted.
;D ;D ;D I vote for the recipes :thumbsup: Thanks for the response :thumbsup:

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Bryce,Thanks for another great post and showing us some awesome "deepies". Man,you've got that SE dialed in. Love those old silvers and IH's but getting to hunt with Nick...THAT makes me envious. Glad you could swing a road trip to go hunt with him. Too cool..
Jerry

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
Hey Bryce and Nick ,
Great finds and hunt . It's great to see you two Righteous Dudes got together for a historic hunt ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D
Here's the old Righteous Brothers , You guys are the newer version !
ROCK ON WITH YOUR BAD SELVES !! :thumbsup: SALUTE !! ARGENTO !!

H H ,
George

Attachments

• Righteeous Bros.jpg
    Righteeous Bros.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 673

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Looks like you guys had a great time with some great finds. I hope I can get free next time. Keep finding those deep ones.
JDD

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Deere Digger said:
Looks like you guys had a great time with some great finds. I hope I can get free next time. Keep finding those deep ones.
JDD
Thanks JDD. Next time you and G-Money need to come along.

dirt doctor said:
Hey Bryce and Nick ,
Great finds and hunt . It's great to see you two Righteous Dudes got together for a historic hunt ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D
Here's the old Righteous Brothers , You guys are the newer version !
ROCK ON WITH YOUR BAD SELVES !! :thumbsup: SALUTE !! ARGENTO !!

H H ,
George
Thanks D.D....The "righteous Bros."...I like it :thumbsup:

Ohio Jerry said:
Bryce,Thanks for another great post and showing us some awesome "deepies". Man,you've got that SE dialed in. Love those old silvers and IH's but getting to hunt with Nick...THAT makes me envious. Glad you could swing a road trip to go hunt with him. Too cool..
Jerry
Thanks Jerry. Yep..the silver was nice...but meeting and hunting with Nick was more than worth the drive. The "sammies"...now they were worth their weight in gold :thumbsup:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Hey Bryce, great story! I really enjoyed reading about your deep finds. I wish I could hear just what these sound like though. I have dug some deep stuff before, but it's not that often so it would be nice to have a reference.

I'm not sure where you and Nick are located, but my brother lives by St. Louis and my dad and I are over in the chicago suburbs... maybe we can get together sometime. I'm wondering if anyone's going to be planning any winter group hunts... it gets cold, but the thought of digging up treasure sure warms you up!

Congrats on your proof half dime! It's a beauty!!

HH! :thumbsup:

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Nice hunt (as usual) Bryce. I wish I could have been available but maybe next time. I would have liked to have met "Nick" and did some diggin with both of you. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and that is what it is all about.

"May there always be a road"

Les

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Congrats Bryce! On the silver, the sammies, and hunting with Nick!
Now, if you guys could have gotten Ohio Jerry along I think you would have had the three nicest guys on Tnet on one hunt!

Sounds to me like Jerry has it pegged. You've got that SE dialed in TIGHT. That in itself would be a joy to see.

Keep it up. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

HH
Mark

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggerfororo said:
Nice hunt (as usual) Bryce. I wish I could have been available but maybe next time. I would have liked to have met "Nick" and did some diggin with both of you. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and that is what it is all about.

"May there always be a road"

Les
Thanks Les. Yes it was definately a good time. I wouldn't have cared even if I didn't find anything. It would have still have been a blast. Next time Les...you're a comin' too. :thumbsup:

mpostma said:
Congrats Bryce! On the silver, the sammies, and hunting with Nick!
Now, if you guys could have gotten Ohio Jerry along I think you would have had the three nicest guys on Tnet on one hunt!

Sounds to me like Jerry has it pegged. You've got that SE dialed in TIGHT. That in itself would be a joy to see.

Keep it up. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

HH
Mark
Thanks Mark. I really appreciate what you said. It means a lot to me. :thumbsup:

allen said:
way to go on those great finds...
Thanks Allen.

pookie said:
cool, man you found some deepies. :o
Thanks pookie

RootMaster said:
Hey Bryce, great story! I really enjoyed reading about your deep finds. I wish I could hear just what these sound like though. I have dug some deep stuff before, but it's not that often so it would be nice to have a reference.

I'm not sure where you and Nick are located, but my brother lives by St. Louis and my dad and I are over in the chicago suburbs... maybe we can get together sometime. I'm wondering if anyone's going to be planning any winter group hunts... it gets cold, but the thought of digging up treasure sure warms you up!

Congrats on your proof half dime! It's a beauty!!

HH! :thumbsup:
Thanks Root. Yes my half dime IS a beauty isn't she ;D

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW SILVERFREAK, THAT DIME WAS CARRIED A LONG TIME................OLD SILVER IS GREAT. GOOD JOB ......PACO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread