Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. I decided to get out and try an old farm house this morning that I could never catch anyone home before. The nice lady that came to the door today didn't hesitate and said sure! The very first target was the shield nickel. About 4 feet away came the buff. I thought this was going to be an extraordinary hunt and I would get a trifecta since the yard is HUGE and I had only spent 4 or 5 minutes so far. Wrong! Only other coins were a toasty wheat and a clad dime lol. I did get a couple neat relics including the wick adjuster from a kerosene lamp ( when I was a boy, we called them coal oil lamps! ), and the neat old clip that I assume is a suspender clip. Anyone have input toward it? The lady said her grandfather built the house a little over 100 years ago, but I believe the farm is quite a bit older. She said they always find a lot of broken pottery in the adjacent field that was already planted.
I decided to include pics from an earlier hunt too that gave me the ornate little adjustable bracelet. I thought it was pretty neat. Anyone seen one like it?
Thanks for looking.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441601.903623.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441643.904748.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441692.676944.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441754.394726.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441799.534629.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441848.965912.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441889.231811.jpg

Upvote 18

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bracelet looks like the sort of piece that would have been sold in the curio shops at the "Harvey Hotels" circa 1940's-
along the Railroads in the Southwest . If you google Fred Harvey period jewelry - I think you'll get a decent breakdown of
what your piece is about .

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Old Dude. Is there anything engraved on the wick winder? HH. C9

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice permission and old nickles. :thumbsup: The V nickle has still eluded my coil.:BangHead: Maybe someday...

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still looking for my first shield nickel, Congrats on some good saves!!

These guys on here will never let you forget that war nickel deal, probably jinxed you today from a trifecta.

Thanks DS, but a V could have done it just as well.

The bracelet looks like the sort of piece that would have been sold in the curio shops at the "Harvey Hotels" circa 1940's-
along the Railroads in the Southwest . If you google Fred Harvey period jewelry - I think you'll get a decent breakdown of
what your piece is about .

Those are very nice pieces Argentium. My feeling was that this was from that period maybe, but it is pretty small too. I felt it was a child's bracelet. Thanks for that info and your post!

Nice digs Old Dude. Is there anything engraved on the wick winder? HH. C9

I don't see any writing at all on it, but thanks for the idea. If I find another, I will know to check.

Congrats on the nice permission and old nickles. :thumbsup: The V nickle has still eluded my coil.:BangHead: Maybe someday...

Thanks LD. I found a 1902 V my first year and last year, the very last hunt of 2014 was an 1899. Once I checked my profile, I am reminded of the one I found this year too. Alzheimers must be setting in because I had forgotten it. I sure wish one had shown up today too.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the Shield Nickel. I haven't found one of those yet.

Says the guy with 2 Mass silvers lol. Don't think they made shield nickels in the 16 and 1700s brother. I've never found a barber dime, shield nickel, trime, flying eagle cent....the list goes on forever. I likely will never find any of these unless a hunter dropped them in a colonial spot. Good going on the nice coins OD. You'll get that stupid War nick some day lol

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Says the guy with 2 Mass silvers lol. Don't think they made shield nickels in the 16 and 1700s brother. I've never found a barber dime, shield nickel, trime, flying eagle cent....the list goes on forever. I likely will never find any of these unless a hunter dropped them in a colonial spot. Good going on the nice coins OD. You'll get that stupid War nick some day lol

I sure hope not Abe. If I do Tylerbdad will have to come up with new material for his standup routine lol.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433464892.300698.jpg

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking for my first sheild

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! When you miss the war nick, you certainly miss by a LOT! ;)

I do believe you're right. Even if you do find one, you probably shouldn't tell. ;)

Nice!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope not Abe. If I do Tylerbdad will have to come up with new material for his standup routine lol.
View attachment 1170872
OD I'm thinking that if this Pa trip doest produce more that Indians Buffalos and mercs for team CSM I may have some material that could last for a good while. And you may be reduced to back of the bus status.

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great nickel saves! If there was a suspender clip museum. I wonder how many different styles there would be. They're another thing I love to find. Awesome bracelet too.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OD I'm thinking that if this Pa trip doest produce more that Indians Buffalos and mercs for team CSM I may have some material that could last for a good while. And you may be reduced to back of the bus status.

I told george hopefully those boys clear out all the modern junk silver so he finds the spanish/capped bust etc. Lol

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still looking for my first sheild

Don't worry, it will show up when you least expect it.

Wow! When you miss the war nick, you certainly miss by a LOT! ;)

I do believe you're right. Even if you do find one, you probably shouldn't tell. ;)

Nice!

Isn't it odd though how things work? For some reason, I picked the area that held both nickels to start the hunt. It seems like I am being played with lol.

Great nickel saves! If there was a suspender clip museum. I wonder how many different styles there would be. They're another thing I love to find. Awesome bracelet too.
Hi will! I don't remember seeing one exactly like that one either. The hole threw me off as well as the single tooth. When I first saw it, I thought for sure it was very old because of the green patina.

I hope you find it then bud. That avatar of his makes me a lil queasy everytime I see it lol

Abe, you probably should not have said that...if he was on the fence before about continuing to use it, I bet he isn't now!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told george hopefully those boys clear out all the modern junk silver so he finds the spanish/capped bust etc. Lol
Oh Im sure team CSM Is sandbagging. Goggle Earth showed 2 images of them with a lantern at 3am this morning and they both had a sackful.
Thanks Abe that Avatar was going to be just a Pa. trip deal but since you are digging it I just might have to keep it...hmm

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you find it then bud. That avatar of his makes me a lil queasy everytime I see it lol

Happy now Abe? Don't want you to be be sick and miss a day of scooping up and posting those cool finds of yours

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great nickel finds Dave... I'm going to start calling you 'Nick' pretty soon! :laughing7:

This piece is interesting, when I first saw it I thought 'napkin ring'. :icon_scratch:

Dave

Attachments

• Knapkin ring.jpg
    Knapkin ring.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great nickel finds Dave... I'm going to start calling you 'Nick' pretty soon! :laughing7:

This piece is interesting, when I first saw it I thought 'napkin ring'. :icon_scratch:

Dave

Dave, please don't give TBD more fuel for the fire lol. Napkin ring huh? I had not thought of that. You just might be right. It is the right size. I just don't think I have seen an open ended one ( adjustable by squeezing ), but that is a very good possibility. Thanks for that!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! You must be around my age because I haven't heard anybody refer to "coal oil" in a looooong time. Cheers!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread