Metal Detecting
Thank you! :)

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find with the '74S. Those proof nic's are pretty hard to find in the wild. I haven't found too many of those myself. But the '04-'05 commem design nic's are very common. I just look for the '05 buff speared and detached leg error coins...but I haven't found any yet. I got a box of nic's for the wknd that Im just about to start.

Good luck & HH!

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! So it is a period then right? The 74s? I thought it was it looked like one... Thanks again! :)

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do u mean is it a proof coin? Yes all S mint nic's after 1970 are proof. :)

Oh AWESOME!! It's definetly a keeper! That's my first proof coin EVER! Yayyyy :)) thanks!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a reference page for Jefferson nickel mintages if you're interested (hopefully the link works). As you can see on the page your '74S nic has a mintage of just 2.6 million which is very low, but then it was never meant to be circulated either - that's why its so hard to find in circulation. :)

And you'll also be able to see the mintage figures for the '04-'06 circulated nic's, which is quite high. But the '09 mintage figures were very low that year.

Jefferson Nickel Mintage

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a reference page for Jefferson nickel mintages if you're interested (hopefully the link works). As you can see on the page your '74S nic has a mintage of just 2.6 million which is very low, but then it was never meant to be circulated either - that's why its so hard to find in circulation. :) And you'll also be able to see the mintage figures for the '04-'06 circulated nic's, which is quite high. But the '09 mintage figures were very low that year. Jefferson Nickel Mintage

Very cool link! Thanks! I'll keep that as a reference. I can't believe that I had 20 dollars of nickels and got all sorts of 1940's area but no silver that was bit upsetting but I have proof so I guess it's okay :)

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool link! Thanks! I'll keep that as a reference. I can't believe that I had 20 dollars of nickels and got all sorts of 1940's area but no silver that was bit upsetting but I have proof so I guess it's okay :)

Well u shouldn't be too disappointed by that. As u can see from my signature I've searched $1100 in nic's so far this year and only found 9 silver so far. But I've also found 6 buffs and a semi key '39S which I think is probably pretty close to average figures for what most of us tend to find.

Good luck & HH!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds. I don't keep the Louis & Clark nickels unless they are super SUPER shiny or if they are proofs.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well u shouldn't be too disappointed by that. As u can see from my signature I've searched $1100 in nic's so far this year and only found 9 silver so far. But I've also found 6 buffs and a semi key '39S which I think is probably pretty close to average figures for what most of us tend to find. Good luck & HH!

Okay :) and so the silver is hard to find? And the 1940's nickels should you still keep those even thigh they aren't silver.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I tend to find ~ 1 silver nic per $100 searched which I think is about the average for what most others tend to find to. And I keep the non-silver '40's nic's and even the '50's dates myself too even though most of the common dates for those years are only worth fv in circulated condition. But I tend to be a bit of a coin hoarder myself lol. Some other people only keep the lower mintage pre-'60 dates nic's (+ the silver ones of course) which is a good idea too. U can see on that mintage link which pre-'60 date Jefferson's have the lower mintages. So if your interested in collecting nic's I'd recommend at least keeping the '38-'42, the post war older lower mintage Jefferson dates ('46S, '47S, '48S, '49S, '50, '51S, '55 and esp the key date '50D) and the more common post war older dates too if u find them in really nice condition, as well as the silver ones too of course.

Good luck & HH!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to find ~ 1 silver nic per $100 searched which I think is about the average for what most others tend to find to. And I keep the non-silver '40's nic's and even the '50's dates myself too even though most of the common dates for those years are only worth fv in circulated condition. But I tend to be a bit of a coin hoarder myself lol. Some other people only keep the lower mintage pre-'60 dates nic's which is a good idea too. U can see on that mintage link which pre-'60 date Jefferson's have the lower mintages. So if your interested in collecting nic's I'd recommend at least keeping those older lower mintage Jefferson dates and the more common older dates if u find one in really nice condition. Good luck.

Okay thanks! So I'll keep all the 1940's nickels since I don't do nickels that often. Then I'll probably throw the Louis expedition or commentative coins back in the pile. And you shoul add me as a friend you seem to know the stuff about coins!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I just have an interest in coins and like searching and collecting nickels in particular. But Im sure most people who search and collect nickels know as much or more than I do.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. I just have an interest in coins and like searching and collecting nickels in particular. But Im sure most people who search and collect nickels know as much or more than I do.

I definetly don't know how much you know because I usually do pennies but I was thinking to start doing nickels too because I have way too much wheat pennies haha :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread