Nickle Trifecta ?

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to meet up with 007,but I overslept this morning...The wife was up before me at 7:15 or so..........Uh Oh.......She would not let me leave till I did some HoneyDo's & ran some errands for her.....I finally got out to an Ole Chicago Park (where I picked up those Nickles & a barber yesterday) about 3:30........and hunted till almost 8:00.
No silver for me today,as I have been pounding the same spots me GOIO,T-MAN,and Etrac007 have been hunting,Over -And- OVER...I think we pretty much cleaned out the silver from that small part of the park....B U T......
There are still a few ole stragglers (I.H.'s,wheats,& Nickles around....)
I found a 1931d wheatie,yesterday,{Too bad it isn't an 'S' m.m.}but the "D" is still worth a few bucks as there were only 4.5 million made , and found another today....2 V Nickles,a Buffalo Nickle....5 Jefferson's (only 1 before 1960)...It is a 1947d........Can I count that as a Trifecta ?....While everyone else was into their penny collection...I had started a Jefferson Nickle collection 15 years ago....I still horde pre 1960 jeffs....It is still hard to fill some of the Jefferson slots,getting them threw the bank or even finding them detecting......Also got an 1898 I.H,and 9 wheats. ....................H. H.
I am playing with trying to clean the Nickles with Lime-Away.....I will post them when I have finished cleaning.
Finds8_1_09.jpg

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great hunt bud - congrats!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to start digging those low tones..
Nice job....

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Great hunt once again Dave! It's amazing that you say these areas are picked clean of silver with all of the wheaties you are finding. It's never hunted out!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
McNickel, great finds! Again, I cannot help but admire your knack for scoring those deep old nickels. McNickel, maybe some day we can eat McNuggets from McDonald's, all the while discussing nickel-digging.
:tongue3:

Joe

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Nice digs Dave! You're not leaving anything behind from that place are ya? ;D

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet you were wondering what you would have found if you didn't over-sleep ;D

Great hunt!. . . and nice Nickels :thumbsup:

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Ever try salt and vinegar? Check out the nickels below. My soil is murder on anything except gold and silver so I couldnt tell you how well it works on a "good" nickel. Check out the pics below of some nickels I found last week. I got another v and buff in the juice now.

Attachments

• 072209 (2)a.JPG
    072209 (2)a.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rebelLT said:
Ever try salt and vinegar? Check out the nickels below. My soil is murder on anything except gold and silver so I couldnt tell you how well it works on a "good" nickel. Check out the pics below of some nickels I found last week. I got another v and buff in the juice now.
I used Vinegar and salt a few times,and I like the color they turn dug Nickles....What I don't like is that they pit nickles....Or take away the rust deposit......I just cleaned & posted some V's,and a Buffalo nickle that I cleaned using a method TreasureFiend suggested.....Lime-Away followed by Baking soda...............Maybe I will try using V & S after cleaning a dug nickle with Lime-Away & see how the combination of 2 methods works together....Of coarse I will neutralize and Rinse between methods....Thanks for the suggestion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread