no gold at the end of the copper trail

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
But I did take silver!

I guess winter isn't getting any further away and digging time is pretty much done...or is it?
I'm going to keep hope alive that there still might be another digging day, but if that doesn't happen I can't complain about the fall digging season that I've had. Iron Patch has the magic touch with his research of some nice old colonal sites that have produced lots of coppers and buttons!

Although this year hasn't produced an abundant amount of relics, I'm very happy with rest of my finds.
Yesterday we hit a couple of fields that were prime for the picking. The land owners were in a holiday giving mood, and let have at it on their fields, I am sure one guy thought we were nuts, but I wasn't arguing with him!

I missed on getting any decent relics or military buttons, but did score some buttons, a few coppers, and a really nice 1816 bullhead sixpence! Probably my nicest one I ever dug!

If this was the end, so be it, no regrets. I'm still going to charge up my batteries and keep my spade in the car!

Attachments

• ld1.JPG
    ld1.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 125
  • ld2.JPG
    ld2.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 121
  • ld3.JPG
    ld3.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 17

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is far better than any Sixpence or Shilling I have ever dug and very easily won the day.

So far today we have escaped much snow accumulation and if tomorrow is the same, I think Thursday or Friday could be a possibility! Yeah I'd like one last rip at it! I'd even be willing to rough it out as long as the coil can detect and we can dig!

I see your coppers are as pretty as mine.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That coin looks great!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That is far better than any Sixpence or Shilling I have ever dug and very easily won the day.

So far today we have escaped much snow accumulation and if tomorrow is the same, I think Thursday or Friday could be a possibility! Yeah I'd like one last rip at it! I'd even be willing to rough it out as long as the coil can detect and we can dig!

I see your coppers are as pretty as mine.

Yeah that ones about as crisp as they come!
I'm glad I got a few silver keepers because I sure didn't get any coppers worth anything at all this year

btw, no snow here at all!
I'll keep an eye on the weather and let you know if there's going to be a digging day

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one good looking sixpence IH :thumbsup: I find a good amount of British kg coppers, but I'd love to find a British silver one day. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun and stayed busy digging some nice high tones. I'm optimistic, so I think you'll manage one more day this year. ha I'm planning on a few more times myself since after this week, I'm off work until Jan 4th!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That's one good looking sixpence IH :thumbsup: I find a good amount of British kg coppers, but I'd love to find a British silver one day. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun and stayed busy digging some nice high tones. I'm optimistic, so I think you'll manage one more day this year. ha I'm planning on a few more times myself since after this week, I'm off work until Jan 4th!

Thanks OA
Funny you should mention that, it might be me but I hardly see British silver posted out of the USA
I hope with the break you got coming you can get out there and prove me wrong

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a sweet sixpence. Congrats on the all of the nice coins and buttons. I enjoy seeing the old finds from you guys. I hope that you get out again before the freeze. Best wishes!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty...I've got a couple 6 pence and have seen a few dug but that one is definitely on top for condition. 1816 must be a common date...see them often...

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That's a beauty...I've got a couple 6 pence and have seen a few dug but that one is definitely on top for condition. 1816 must be a common date...see them often...

It is a good one

I would have to agree with you on that, it's the second one I've dug this year and one of at least a half dozen over the years

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IRON HORSE WHEN YOU SAID BULL HEAD I THOUGHT OF CATFISH . NAH , YOU GOT NICE BUNCH OF FINDS LIKE THE BUTTONS AND COIN ..

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Clean 1816! Never seen one like that before and fantastic shape!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you find one there's likely a better chance it will date before George III and not during or after. A 1787 George III Shilling is not a rare coin in general, but a pretty rare one to dig, and of course anything post Revolution doesn't have a good reason to be there. And with a real early British silver not being particularly easy to find, those three reasons play a big part in why you have not found one. And let me also say that I suspect no one on this thread who has found multiples of the 1800s silver has found even a single pre 1800s one.... and that's myself, Ironhorse, Romeo, and the Patriot. If someone has please fill me in because I obviously forgot about it. That's a lot of combined years digging and in an area with a massive amount of British settlement and not a single coin!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good note (Silver) to end on. Batteries charged, check, and spade in car, check, good plan.
I have a very high grade one of that date too, but minus a bit of a scrape. which I may or not have done.
want to see it ?

As long as the ground stays soft, I'll hold dope of another dig. Might be a dig or two in the first of the new year, only managed that once before.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find one there's likely a better chance it will date before George III and not during or after. A 1787 George III Shilling is not a rare coin in general, but a pretty rare one to dig, and of course anything post Revolution doesn't have a good reason to be there. And with a real early British silver not being particularly easy to find, those three reasons play a big part in why you have not found one. And let me also say that I suspect no one on this thread who has found multiples of the 1800s silver has found even a single pre 1800s one.... and that's myself, Ironhorse, Romeo, and the Patriot. If someone has please fill me in because I obviously forgot about it. That's a lot of combined years digging and in an area with a massive amount of British settlement and not a single coin!

Old dude found the same coin at one of my sites last year. We didn't know what it was, till we Google it..lol
Nice find IH. Make the last trip a good one.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that ones about as crisp as they come!
I'm glad I got a few silver keepers because I sure didn't get any coppers worth anything at all this year

btw, no snow here at all!
I'll keep an eye on the weather and let you know if there's going to be a digging day

You got that right. I also didn't find a single copper that had both nice condition and was a decent old coin like an 1812 token, George III halfpenny, or a Conder token. You would think at the rate we popped them out there would have been something. But as is usually the case with metal detecting other finds made up for what was lacking.

#Onemoredigatjr's

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
IRON HORSE WHEN YOU SAID BULL HEAD I THOUGHT OF CATFISH . NAH , YOU GOT NICE BUNCH OF FINDS LIKE THE BUTTONS AND COIN ..

Thank you again sir, I really appreciate your comments, as always

The sixpence and shilling from that series are referred to as bullheads, based on the bust of old Georgie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread