no gold at the end of the copper trail

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
But I did take silver!

I guess winter isn't getting any further away and digging time is pretty much done...or is it?
I'm going to keep hope alive that there still might be another digging day, but if that doesn't happen I can't complain about the fall digging season that I've had. Iron Patch has the magic touch with his research of some nice old colonal sites that have produced lots of coppers and buttons!

Although this year hasn't produced an abundant amount of relics, I'm very happy with rest of my finds.
Yesterday we hit a couple of fields that were prime for the picking. The land owners were in a holiday giving mood, and let have at it on their fields, I am sure one guy thought we were nuts, but I wasn't arguing with him!

I missed on getting any decent relics or military buttons, but did score some buttons, a few coppers, and a really nice 1816 bullhead sixpence! Probably my nicest one I ever dug!

If this was the end, so be it, no regrets. I'm still going to charge up my batteries and keep my spade in the car!

Attachments

• ld1.JPG
    ld1.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 125
  • ld2.JPG
    ld2.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 121
  • ld3.JPG
    ld3.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 17

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find one there's likely a better chance it will date before George III and not during or after. A 1787 George III Shilling is not a rare coin in general, but a pretty rare one to dig, and of course anything post Revolution doesn't have a good reason to be there. And with a real early British silver not being particularly easy to find, those three reasons play a big part in why you have not found one. And let me also say that I suspect no one on this thread who has found multiples of the 1800s silver has found even a single pre 1800s one.... and that's myself, Ironhorse, Romeo, and the Patriot. If someone has please fill me in because I obviously forgot about it. That's a lot of combined years digging and in an area with a massive amount of British settlement and not a single coin!

Yes you forgot my 1720 Shilling.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/233134-new-oldest-silver.html

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Good note (Silver) to end on. Batteries charged, check, and spade in car, check, good plan.
I have a very high grade one of that date too, but minus a bit of a scrape. which I may or not have done.
want to see it ?

As long as the ground stays soft, I'll hold dope of another dig. Might be a dig or two in the first of the new year, only managed that once before.

I'm ready for another one, just have to convince Mother Nature to get on board!

chuck yours up, it may be the last one we see here for a while lol

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Old dude found the same coin at one of my sites last year. We didn't know what it was, till we Google it..lol
Nice find IH. Make the last trip a good one.

Thanks Vino
I remember that one!
The counter stamped one, that one was a real winner in my books!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ready for another one, just have to convince Mother Nature to get on board!

chuck yours up, it may be the last one we see here for a while lol

I believe I got it 2012.

IMG_1752.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You got that right. I also didn't find a single copper that had both nice condition and was a decent old coin like an 1812 token, George III halfpenny, or a Conder token. You would think at the rate we popped them out there would have been something. But as is usually the case with metal detecting other finds made up for what was lacking.

#Onemoredigatjr's

Yep Jr's might be the place to try!
The weather went south(ahem) since I posted earlier, much nastier out there now
The wind is a-howling and the rain has thickened up with the dipping temps
This is the beach just a kilometre from my house
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450212063.228817.jpg

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i thought where you guys went (the site where my gggg grand pappy originally first settled) would've produced more than just some indications...
That coin is some crisp...that's the spirit, its not over yet..i even have some ideas i the woods if it freezes up.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Well i thought where you guys went (the site where my gggg grand pappy originally first settled) would've produced more than just some indications...
That coin is some crisp...that's the spirit, its not over yet..i even have some ideas i the woods if it freezes up.

I guess there's chance in the trees if the fields aren't the best

We got to where your granddaddy was but conditions weren't perfect, however, in the spring, a better chance of discovering an Acadian site in the area is much more possible!

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Nice digs...that sixpence is a beauty...nice buttons as well...hope you guys get out again...you guys had a great year..hopefully you can continue.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been watching so many "metal detecting England" vids on YouTube lately, I knew that silver was called a "bullhead" haha!

Sharp coin man!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Jr's might be the place to try!
The weather went south(ahem) since I posted earlier, much nastier out there now
The wind is a-howling and the rain has thickened up with the dipping temps
This is the beach just a kilometre from my house
View attachment 1247381

That's actually good because it's only the snow that will stop us from Friday being open. If there's minimal snow in the East it will be doable... assuming the one freak day for high temps doesn't change drastically. So Jr's place might be out but there's plenty of reasons to go East.

I just looked at the weather for the East, and definitely looks better. After the mild day Friday it actually looks like it will hang on for a few days. I was pretty convinced we were done, but actually think another one looks possible. I'd like to do a run at all those little fields.... starting at the turn in the road and working our way back towards where we were.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Nice digs...that sixpence is a beauty...nice buttons as well...hope you guys get out again...you guys had a great year..hopefully you can continue.

Thanks Brian
Another digging day would be great but I'm not holding my breath at this point; things may change , it's a day to day now

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I've been watching so many "metal detecting England" vids on YouTube lately, I knew that silver was called a "bullhead" haha!

Sharp coin man!

You too huh !
Last winter I must have watched thousands lol!
Pretty soon you'll be over there digging your own!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find there with the 6p. I'm still searching for an old British Silver coin despite 3 dozen Brit coppers. Nice buttons too. Cheers!

Steve

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Nice find there with the 6p. I'm still searching for an old British Silver coin despite 3 dozen Brit coppers. Nice buttons too. Cheers!

Steve

Thanks Steve
No doubt the coppers are down your way, but the silvers are so elusive ; I hope you can add one to your collection sooner rather than later!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, those are in fantastic condition IH, Congrats.
ZDD

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I see some nice buttons in the corner there not getting any love.....

Nice variety Old Man winter is right around the corner with Old Man IP!

~Blaze~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread