no gold at the end of the copper trail

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
But I did take silver!

I guess winter isn't getting any further away and digging time is pretty much done...or is it?
I'm going to keep hope alive that there still might be another digging day, but if that doesn't happen I can't complain about the fall digging season that I've had. Iron Patch has the magic touch with his research of some nice old colonal sites that have produced lots of coppers and buttons!

Although this year hasn't produced an abundant amount of relics, I'm very happy with rest of my finds.
Yesterday we hit a couple of fields that were prime for the picking. The land owners were in a holiday giving mood, and let have at it on their fields, I am sure one guy thought we were nuts, but I wasn't arguing with him!

I missed on getting any decent relics or military buttons, but did score some buttons, a few coppers, and a really nice 1816 bullhead sixpence! Probably my nicest one I ever dug!

If this was the end, so be it, no regrets. I'm still going to charge up my batteries and keep my spade in the car!

Attachments

• ld1.JPG
    ld1.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 125
  • ld2.JPG
    ld2.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 121
  • ld3.JPG
    ld3.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 17
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I see some nice buttons in the corner there not getting any love.....

Nice variety Old Man winter is right around the corner with Old Man IP!

~Blaze~

Don't worry JB the buttons get plenty of love , the coins are a byproduct of looking for them lol

Old man IP will have his cane in one hand and his minelab in the other; old man winter is taking the weekend off so we will be out there again picking up some more buttons to love!

Last edited:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't worry JB the buttons get plenty of love , the coins are a byproduct of looking for them lol

Old man IP will have his cane in one hand and his minelab in the other; old man winter is taking the weekend off so we will be out there again picking up some more buttons to love!
Is he gonna wear his new suit?

Attachments

• you_are_this_gay.jpg_1286416143.jpg
    you_are_this_gay.jpg_1286416143.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 49

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer sixpence! I like all the coppers and buttons as well. I would be ecstatic with a hunt like that.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That shilling is immaculate. I didn't realize just how common that date was until I started reading all the posts on this thread. I have to thank George again for mine cause I still can't break out of the 1800's in the silver dept lol.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That shilling is immaculate. I didn't realize just how common that date was until I started reading all the posts on this thread. I have to thank George again for mine cause I still can't break out of the 1800's in the silver dept lol.

Actually a sixpence, but the shilling was a very similar design

It was a time in North America especially in Canada that small change/ coin was in very short supply, I believe a lot of these were imported to alleviate the demand
And also spawned the minting of the tokens we so readily find at the early sites

thanks for jumping into the fray!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking Bullhead! I got my best one this spring but I think he had a face transplant (die crack)
P1010644.JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought it was a plough hit but somebody that saw it mentioned crack. I'll have to wait till I get back to find out for sure.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I thought it was a plough hit but somebody that saw it mentioned crack. I'll have to wait till I get back to find out for sure.

Yep it's one of those things that a simple pic doesn't do justice to, seeing it in person would be a better determining factor

A die crack makes it an even more meaningful find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread