NO texting.....

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I am lucky that I was raised by Ozzie and Harriet as my wife puts it. My dad worked and my mom stayed at home. Dinner was at the same time every night and was eaten by everyone at the dining room table. Once in a very long while, we would eat in the living room if there was a really good movie coming on the "Wonderful World of Walt Disney" on a Sunday night. We also all ate the same thing. The only time there was any change was when my parents had liver and onions. We kids would have hot dogs and macaroni & cheese.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess I am lucky that I was raised by Ozzie and Harriet as my wife puts it. My dad worked and my mom stayed at home. Dinner was at the same time every night and was eaten by everyone at the dining room table. Once in a very long while, we would eat in the living room if there was a really good movie coming on the "Wonderful World of Walt Disney" on a Sunday night. We also all ate the same thing. The only time there was any change was when my parents had liver and onions. We kids would have hot dogs and macaroni & cheese.

Had the same, had to eat together no ands or buts. Time have changes that's for sure, some never eat together, and that is the sad part of today's family core-it's gone basically.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes,but i dont live here.At the moment i am alone.Thats a big difference than staring at your screen while in the company of others.Plus im on a laptop not on a phone.Nor do I blow ungodly amounts of money on a stupid phone,I paid 60 dollars for mine lol,not 600,not 800.Somebody who spends that amount on a phone,to me,is an idiot.

My old flip phone gave out one day. So I head into Verizon. I said I want the exact same phone again, please. The person just smiled and said "I'll show ya what's available now". So... I said I know what's available and only want another like this one. "Your kidding, right? He says". NO... I'M NOT FU**ING KIDDING!". I'll go and check in the back and see if we have any. Yep, they have one... just 1. I said "That's all I need". I asked how much and he says $1.00. That was 3 years ago and I'm still using it.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A sixteen yr old girl here was driving and texting down highway 50 and rear ended a motorcyclist that was turning off. Luckily he lived but she was going 50 so it wasn't pretty. Last I heard the family may lose their ranch because of it.
A sixteen yr old girl behind the wheel makes me nervous enough!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was painting a house once.I was up on a ladder,the house was close to a sharp turn in the road not even 75 feet away.I heard a car coming,a screech of brakes then a smash.The young idiot lost control of her car in the middle of the turn and hit a phone pole.Cell phone,yup you guessed it.

captain_mike

Aug 20, 2012
Dogtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX, Whites Goldmaster GMX, Whites TDI SL, Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab GP3500, Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then on a cool night there'd be a thing called "Skip" where a person all of a sudden be talking to somebody hundreds if not a thousand miles away. If I remember right my handle was "Bottle Digger" :laughing7:
Especially if you owned a "linear."

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
62 yrs. old and never had a cell phone in my life. My landline suits me fine. My wife and kids have them, and been trying to get me to get one. I tell them no thanks.

i'm 62 also and for years I didn't want a cell phone, my wife made me get one when I worked all kind of crazy hours...I still carry it , mostly as my "watch " now ... rarely use it

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was painting a house once.I was up on a ladder,the house was close to a sharp turn in the road not even 75 feet away.I heard a car coming,a screech of brakes then a smash.The young idiot lost control of her car in the middle of the turn and hit a phone pole.Cell phone,yup you guessed it.

Whew.... I thought you were going to say you were up on a ladder...texting

Chub

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes,but i dont live here.At the moment i am alone.Thats a big difference than staring at your screen while in the company of others.Plus im on a laptop not on a phone.Nor do I blow ungodly amounts of money on a stupid phone,I paid 60 dollars for mine lol,not 600,not 800.Somebody who spends that amount on a phone,to me,is an idiot.

Mine cost less than that, it's a flip phone

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 68 now soon to be....yikes 69 and been single and alone since '81. Never had a phone since marriage till '99. Still never had a computer or smart phone until '14, than started learning what internet was about. I never have been much of a phone person, making on average 6 calls per month and getting fewer still and they are mostly robo calls and a call from the V.A. every couple months to scedual an appointment.[emoji22]

Anyway busted my smart phone about 18 months ago and went to AT&T got a tablet and the cheapest flip phone Wally world had. Sometimes I leave home and forget the phone and the tablet seldom goes with me. I just am not like many who walk around tightly clutching a phone like a life line that if I became disconnected from it I would drop over dead.

Just can't understand people like a couple who go out to eat and sit at the table seldom looking up from their phone to speak to one another. Dunno

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know how to text on purpose. :occasion14:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am 68 now soon to be....yikes 69 and been single and alone since '81. Never had a phone since marriage till '99. Still never had a computer or smart phone until '14, than started learning what internet was about. I never have been much of a phone person, making on average 6 calls per month and getting fewer still and they are mostly robo calls and a call from the V.A. every couple months to scedual an appointment.[emoji22]

Anyway busted my smart phone about 18 months ago and went to AT&T got a tablet and the cheapest flip phone Wally world had. Sometimes I leave home and forget the phone and the tablet seldom goes with me. I just am not like many who walk around tightly clutching a phone like a life line that if I became disconnected from it I would drop over dead.

Just can't understand people like a couple who go out to eat and sit at the table seldom looking up from their phone to speak to one another. Dunno

69..... single..... alone since '81..... you forgot the picture......(wrong website, too) ╦╦Ç

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do not have one of those. I have people at work who ask me if they can go back home, as they forgot their cell phone. I don't allow them to, as we have a phone here at work and if it's an emergency they can call you at the work number. If they need to make an emergency call, they can use the phone here at work. And if I catch you using a cell during work hours, automatic write up.

"And if I catch you using a cell during work hours",

I just sent them home as their personal life was more
important than the safety of others. If they grumbled they got their walking papers, simple as that. After sending a few down the road most caught on real quick.

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuff neck, v-bars, alloy sprocket, colored tires, alloy seat post, alloy petals. Ahhh those were the days.

Wow Truth...you certainly struck a nerve with me! As an only child, with a Dad who lived at the bar and ran the house with his mouth and his fist..I spent more hours on my 20" BMX than off of it, riding was my life..Redline, Raleigh, Tuff Wheels etc...and those Tuff Necks were nice but they was some sharp-edged buggers, required a nice pad or risk ripping your nads off when you went a** over apple cart! Lol..thx for the memories..Ddf

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I went out to eat tonight and there's a kid not over 4 years old with a blasted tablet. I think of all that I would've missed learning from my daddy if I had been staring at that crap all day instead of listening to what he was telling me or watching what he was doing. Today's parents never want to be interrupted from their own self-focused lives to actually raise a young'un. Of all the hundreds of times I interrupted Daddy from his work, or from his reading or dozing after supper, did he ever, in the slightest, show any irritation with me bothering him with a question or to show him something. What a blessed kid I was. (Mama was tops, too!)

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I went out to eat tonight and there's a kid not over 4 years old with a blasted tablet. I think of all that I would've missed learning from my daddy if I had been staring at that crap all day instead of listening to what he was telling me or watching what he was doing. Today's parents never want to be interrupted from their own self-focused lives to actually raise a young'un. Of all the hundreds of times I interrupted Daddy from his work, or from his reading or dozing after supper, did he ever, in the slightest, show any irritation with me bothering him with a question or to show him something. What a blessed kid I was. (Mama was tops, too!)
Well said.... Tnx! ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread