Nokta pulse drive

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
So I'm considering the Nokta pulsedrive scuba detector as my compact, discreet field detector. I'm looking at the 8" coil and guessing it gets decent depth but I'm seeking opinions. This is me of course, Mr. Pinpointer only, I'm looking for greater depth capabilities than my minelab can offer. Any experience from the peanut gallery with this device? What kind of depth could I expect from the 8" coil? I know it lacks VDI but I don't care terribly about that, I'm just looking for the most compact unit with the greatest depth penetration. Thoughts? Experience? Ideas? I may order one tonight unless someone has a better unit in mind.....

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a stupid question, but why would you think that Pulsedrive would get more depth than your minelab ?
I did not know what the Pulsedrive looked like so I pulled it up, and after looking at it, I'm wondering if this isn't a joke posting ?
That machine is a handheld unit for divers ? why are you talking about using it for field detecting ? It doesn't even come with a pole to swing it with ..... :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I'm considering the Nokta pulsedrive scuba detector as my compact, discreet field detector. I'm looking at the 8" coil and guessing it gets decent depth but I'm seeking opinions. This is me of course, Mr. Pinpointer only, I'm looki for greater depth capabilities than my minelab can offer. Any experience from the peanut gallery with this device? What kind of depth could I expect from the 8" coil? I know it lacks VDI but I don't care terribly about that, I'm just looking for the most compact unit with the greatest depth penetration. Thoughts? Experience? Ideas? I may order one tonight unless someone has a better unit in mind.....
My question is why do you need a descreet field detector.

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Seems like a stupid question, but why would you think that Pulsedrive would get more depth than your minelab ?
I did not know what the Pulsedrive looked like so I pulled it up, and after looking at it, I'm wondering if this isn't a joke posting ?
That machine is a handheld unit for divers ? why are you talking about using it for field detecting ? It doesn't even come with a pole to swing it with ..... :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
More depth than a minelab pro find 40? I mean if I super tune it I can pull about 4-5ish inches on a penny which works ok but increasing depth without having to pull a rabbit from my hat would be nice. I'm only interested in handheld units, to a great degree it centers around space issues and ease of packing in. I really don't always know exactly where I may end up on any given adventure so it's nice to be able to pull a quickie out in the event we happen across a potentially good location. The minelab does ok, it hasn't let me down but a little more reach would be great.

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
? I'm not understanding this ?? are you saying you want to use it for pinpointing only ? Or your name is Mr. Pinpointer ? Which is not your profile name...
No, I only use a pinpointer in field expeditions primarily because of spacial restraints in my pack. The pinpointer works good but I wouldn't mind a bit more reach on things. So no, not as the pinpointer per se, I already have a good one, more of a compact MD that I can easily carry in without having to deal with a 4' shaft honestly

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
My question is why do you need a descreet field detector.
Discreet, honestly most places I would use it don't really require discretion. I mostly roll in waste areas and areas tucked away in the woods well away from other humans. Really the logistical issues have to do with gear packing and available space and weight more than anything. I'm simply trying to find a small, easy to pack in handheld that does better depth wise than the Pro find 40. Smaller scuba detectors are the next step up from pinpointers or that's my assessment. The pro find, when super tuned gets 4 to 5 inch on a penny in air tests at any rate, that's great but having a handheld, large coil with greater depth range would be great. I reckon the pulsedrive with it's two piece break down, 8" coil and pinpointer handle would be a manageable option for me but really all I'm trying to figure out here is how much deeper will it go in theory. Is it worth my time given how I move. It's PI and based on my research PI enjoys greater depth penetration but I'm hardly the expert. Don't read too much into being discreet beyond avoiding looks from randoms that might happen along, it really is a space problem. Dedicated MDing trips aren't a thing for me, I go in to far out locations sometimes not knowing what I'll come across, being on the ready in the moment and on the spot are important in the adventures we go on.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I'm considering the Nokta pulsedrive scuba detector as my compact, discreet field detector. I'm looking at the 8" coil and guessing it gets decent depth but I'm seeking opinions. This is me of course, Mr. Pinpointer only, I'm looking for greater depth capabilities than my minelab can offer. Any experience from the peanut gallery with this device? What kind of depth could I expect from the 8" coil? I know it lacks VDI but I don't care terribly about that, I'm just looking for the most compact unit with the greatest depth penetration. Thoughts? Experience? Ideas? I may order one tonight unless someone has a better unit in mind.....

:laughing7:😂😂

You said you want a discreet pin pointer, LOL there is nothing discreet about the Pulse Dive the thing is big enough you could use it as a club to beat the crap out of someone with, it is huge when it comes to pin pointer, and then you ask what kind of depth you should or possibly might achieve with the Pulse Dive (not much), its a pin pointer with a loop so its going to get the same depth as any other pin pointer, (and yes I own the Pulse Dive 2 in 1 Kit)

I apologize but I had to Laugh when you said a discreet pin pointer and Pulse Dive and then you want to add the 8 inch Loop good luck being discreet LOL

You also might get a little better responses when you decide to show a little more respect and to not insult all of us in the peanut gallery as you refer to the rest of us members of the Treasure net😂

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Discreet, honestly most places I would use it don't really require discretion. I mostly roll in waste areas and areas tucked away in the woods well away from other humans. Really the logistical issues have to do with gear packing and available space and weight more than anything. I'm simply trying to find a small, easy to pack in handheld that does better depth wise than the Pro find 40. Smaller scuba detectors are the next step up from pinpointers or that's my assessment. The pro find, when super tuned gets 4 to 5 inch on a penny in air tests at any rate, that's great but having a handheld, large coil with greater depth range would be great. I reckon the pulsedrive with it's two piece break down, 8" coil and pinpointer handle would be a manageable option for me but really all I'm trying to figure out here is how much deeper will it go in theory. Is it worth my time given how I move. It's PI and based on my research PI enjoys greater depth penetration but I'm hardly the expert. Don't read too much into being discreet beyond avoiding looks from randoms that might happen along, it really is a space problem. Dedicated MDing trips aren't a thing for me, I go in to far out locations sometimes not knowing what I'll come across, being on the ready in the moment and on the spot are important in the adventures we go on.
based on what you just stated I would look at a XP Dues 1 or ORX they fold up very compact and the same reason I picked up a ORX get one with the 9 inch HF Coil and you are good to go and would work perfect for what you are trying to achieve, you can take the shaft that the coil is on out apart from the handle then hold the ORX or Deus 1 remote in your hand or stick it in your pocket and detect you tehn would have full use of a full detector instead of just a pin pointer

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
based on what you just stated I would look at a XP Dues 1 or ORX they fold up very compact and the same reason I picked up a ORX get one with the 9 inch HF Coil and you are good to go and would work perfect for what you are trying to achieve, you can take the shaft that the coil is on out apart from the handle then hold the ORX or Deus 1 remote in your hand or stick it in your pocket and detect you tehn would have full use of a full detector instead of just a pin pointer
The 5x9" HF coil on the Deus l is a great option.
Depth is great also.

Using a pinpointer to search an area is different.
Crawling around or bending over to scan the ground would get tiring.
Be kind of like painting a big barn with a small fine artist paint brush.
Not saying it can't be done, but a time consuming process.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The 5x9" HF coil on the Deus l is a great option.
Depth is great also.

Using a pinpointer to search an area is different.
Crawling around or bending over to scan the ground would get tiring.
Be kind of like painting a big barn with a small fine artist paint brush.
Not saying it can't be done, but a time consuming process.
Some one that would attempt what the OP is wanting to attempt has more energy than I have LOL

I do have both HF coils for my ORX and you are correct that HF elliptical is a great coil, either one of those HF coils would be a great option to use for what the OP is wanting

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More depth than a minelab pro find 40? I mean if I super tune it I can pull about 4-5ish inches on a penny which works ok but increasing depth without having to pull a rabbit from my hat would be nice. I'm only interested in handheld units, to a great degree it centers around space issues and ease of packing in. I really don't always know exactly where I may end up on any given adventure so it's nice to be able to pull a quickie out in the event we happen across a potentially good location. The minelab does ok, it hasn't let me down but a little more reach would be great.
Like a cave maybe ?

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I only use a pinpointer in field expeditions primarily because of spacial restraints in my pack. The pinpointer works good but I wouldn't mind a bit more reach on things. So no, not as the pinpointer per se, I already have a good one, more of a compact MD that I can easily carry in without having to deal with a 4' shaft honestly
So this makes it a little more clear, you have a Minelab Pinpointer you take into the field, and you wanted something a little better ? Now I understand.. a bit confusing before, thanks

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just thinking pretty much the same. My Dēus II collapses down to 21". I gotta think most current MDs are similarly compact.

OTOH, the coils with lower stems attached are 24". I spoze he could hand-hold a coil without the stem, or cut the stem shorter.

But yeah... probably any decent wireless MD coil & brain might get him what he wants. :dontknow:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was just thinking pretty much the same. My Dēus II collapses down to 21". I gotta think most current MDs are similarly compact.

OTOH, the coils with lower stems attached are 24". I spoze he could hand-hold a coil without the stem, or cut the stem shorter.

But yeah... probably any decent wireless MD coil & brain might get him what he wants. :dontknow:
if he went with the Deus 1 or the ORX he could not cut the shaft down using either HF coil because the Battery for the two HF coils is in the lower stem on those two detectors he could however cut down a lower stem if he went with the 9 inch X35 coil because the battery for the X35 coils is in the coil

I do not know where the batteries are for the Deus 2 so do not know what to say on that one

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if he went with the Deus 1 or the ORX he could not cut the shaft down using either HF coil because the Battery for the two HF coils is in the lower stem on those two detectors he could however cut down a lower stem if he went with the 9 inch X35 coil because the battery for the X35 coils is in the coil
Thanks; I did not know that.

I do not know where the batteries are for the Deus 2 so do not know what to say on that one
Battery for the coil is in the coil
Battery for the RC is in the RC
Batteries for the headphones are in the headphones. 🙂

The lower shaft is just a hollow tube of some carbon fiber material.

I'm sure something could be worked out, especially if he has access to a 3D printer.

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
:laughing7:😂😂

You said you want a discreet pin pointer, LOL there is nothing discreet about the Pulse Dive the thing is big enough you could use it as a club to beat the crap out of someone with, it is huge when it comes to pin pointer, and then you ask what kind of depth you should or possibly might achieve with the Pulse Dive (not much), its a pin pointer with a loop so its going to get the same depth as any other pin pointer, (and yes I own the Pulse Dive 2 in 1 Kit)

I apologize but I had to Laugh when you said a discreet pin pointer and Pulse Dive and then you want to add the 8 inch Loop good luck being discreet LOL

You also might get a little better responses when you decide to show a little more respect and to not insult all of us in the peanut gallery as you refer to the rest of us members of the Treasure net😂
Sorry, peanut gallery is intended to be tongue in cheek lol. The appealing aspect of the nokta is it's two piece break down, it would fit neatly into my backpack. Same depth huh? Ok, I'll buy that for the moment. So an 8" coil won't get any better than a minelab pinpointer? That runs contrary to everything I've ever read but then that's why I'm here asking, I do respect the opinions of the peanut gallery for the record especially those in the know. So no better with a nokta, I mean searching with a pinpointer hasn't been a waste of time at all, maybe I'm just a lucky cat but it's served me damn well honestly. I guess if it ain't broken don't fix it!

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Like a cave maybe ?
Yes, quite honestly, caves can be worth a quick search in some cases lol. I'm kinda johnny on the spot and we do come across mines, fire pits, old camps, unexpected waste areas etc. I think what I probably didn't clarify sufficiently was that it's a very in the moment affair with the tools and tech. Setting up a big machine when I might have 20 minutes tops is kinda unwieldy, the spots to be searched must be assessed pretty fast and scanned just as fast, be ready to pack up and be off to the next spot at a moments notice. I adventure, I'll spend 5 hours trekking up some tough terrain but not 5 hours swinging a coil. If it's obvious that it's got a lot going on then sure, let's break here for a couple hours and search it, it may be worth it. It comes down to how efficient things are, the space they consume and how fast you can make it work. I don't call myself a dedicated detectorist, I'm an adventurer with an eye for potential relics not to mention other goodies, I carry many tools in the field, I really do

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Thanks; I did not know that.

Battery for the coil is in the coil
Battery for the RC is in the RC
Batteries for the headphones are in the headphones. 🙂

The lower shaft is just a hollow tube of some carbon fiber material.

I'm sure something could be worked out, especially if he has access to a 3D printer.
I mean I've seriously considered making a very short handle for my 9 1/2 "normal" coil and I may yet, the appeal of the nokta is the lack of a control box and a bunch of wires to contend with. Quick on the set up and break down, fits right in my pack with the rest of my tools. The one and only reason I'd buy it though is if it can provide a significantly greater depth than my minelab pinpointer, I've been researching the matter but the answers aren't super helpful which is why I'm now here asking for direct experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread