Northern California - Nuggets Only

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello,

I've been mostly lurking these forums for about a year now but have been mining since 2012. I was born and raised in Northern California, and I really enjoy mining for gold. I work a desk job so getting away at least once a week is critical to my mental happiness. No phones, no emails, no problems... Just the river. You can't beat it and I am so thankful to live in such a beautiful place.

I own a 36" Bazooka, 3"x50' complete gravity dredge with 12"x52" traditional sluice and a Honda GX120 hookah for sniping. I have only used the hookah once so far. Looking forward to spring and summer so I can really get used to diving. Below are some of my better finds. The large flat piece is 7.3 grams - the other two pieces were found within red, decaying bedrock.

IMG_0175.JPG IMG_0176.JPG IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0180.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome gold! Looks like you are well set up to get more!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking gold you got there. Keep digging and keep posting (with pictures, of course). I like you choice of sluices, too.

How is that gravity dredge working for you? Often thought I might want to try one, but most of the places I go don't have the vertical drop so that I could use one. Fifty feet of three inch -- isn't that a lot of hassle to carry to a place where you _do_ have the vertical drop?

I wish you a very golden welcome; you will find this is a great online community.

OP
OP
H

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking gold you got there. Keep digging and keep posting (with pictures, of course). I like you choice of sluices, too.

How is that gravity dredge working for you? Often thought I might want to try one, but most of the places I go don't have the vertical drop so that I could use one. Fifty feet of three inch -- isn't that a lot of hassle to carry to a place where you _do_ have the vertical drop?

I wish you a very golden welcome; you will find this is a great online community.

Thank you Dave.

The gravity dredge is a huge pain in the a$$. I purchased two 25' sections of 3" waste water hose which is super heavy duty but man is it heavy. It is not realistic to carry the hoses so I purchased a flat top cart that I strap everything to. When I get the the right spot I just let 'r go tumbling down the hill... getting it back up is near impossible - but doable. I have some internal switch that believes if I work super hard to get the gold, the gold will be plentiful... however that is often not the case. I'm sure you all understand what I'm talking about :)

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, we do understand!!

Yeah, super heavy duty also means super heavy. I like your approach; cart it in, throw it down the hill. Now get a winch to haul it back up the hill. :)

S

stefen

Just curious...where approximately are you finding gold bearing streams or rivers from Chico?

I'm located another several hundred miles (maybe 250 miles) further northwest near coastal Eureka...our gold is salmon, steelhead, trout, elk and bear on the Eel River

OP
OP
H

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just curious...where approximately are you finding gold bearing streams or rivers from Chico?

I'm located another several hundred miles (maybe 250 miles) further northwest near coastal Eureka...our gold is salmon, steelhead, trout, elk and bear on the Eel River

I mine up in the foothills about 30min east of Chico. Feather River, Butte Creek, and some other small tributaries. The gold in and around the valley (Chico) has traveled so far its nothing but fine flake. I am not interested in that. Nuggets only :laughing7:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I mine up in the foothills about 30min east of Chico. Feather River, Butte Creek, and some other small tributaries. The gold in and around the valley (Chico) has traveled so far its nothing but fine flake. I am not interested in that. Nuggets only :laughing7:

We all would like nuggets only, but where I am, a 3 mm x 3 mm flat piece of gold is a real find. So I have to save the little stuff, too. Below is some of the bigger stuff I find in Colorado. The largest, just right of center is the 3 mm x 3mm one.

100_3783.JPG

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the board, we take what we can get up by Quincy. The area has been pounded HARD over the years, so when we work, that gram or two at least pays for the beer.

OP
OP
H

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really wish I was out mining in the hot summer sun! Can't wait to try my new Honda GX120 powered HOOOOKKAAHHHH

IMG_4737.jpg
IMG_5644.jpg
IMG_5645.jpg
IMG_5543.jpg

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuggets only...

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beautiful spot and beautiful gold. Way to keep my fever rising there Honkey3k!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!
Those are fine nuggets, for sure!
Real "pickers"...! :thumbsup:
They didn't travel too far from the source...!
(you got a claim, upstream....? hmmm??) :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread