glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know we have those around here but I’ve never seen one. Totally nocturnal. Very rare to see pics of them like that. Great job!
More than30 years ago now I went hunting for eastern gray squirrels here in PA I took a friend along that morning We arrived at our destination well before daylight and we each went our own way My place was a place a mostly an area of mature popular tree Many of them where better than 50 feet tall and had no branches on the until 30 at least 30 feet off the ground Also here where some oaks mixed in to the aera I got settled into a place I was comfortable and waited for daylight to peak her head over the horizon .I noticed some movement on the truck of one of the huge popular trees nearby Studying the tree I did not see anything so I assumed it was a bird Not long After I saw more movement again this time because was looking that way I quickly saw a squirrel running on the trunk of the tree And than it l launched itself off of the truck and glided itself to a landed on spot on another tree .So that was my first experience with flying squirrels As it slowly got light I saw 2 more that morning or maybe the same one 2 more times Later when I rejoin my hunting partner I told him about my encounter with the flying squirrels He very vehemently told me they could not have been squirrels as they did not exist in this area . He was a lineman for the local phone company And at times he would be required to fix connection problems in junction boxes Insects small mammal birds and so on would get into the boxes for nesting places or cove from the weather So later I saw this guy that as 100% sure that we did not have flying squirrels in this part of PA He told me him had to make a service call on a phone junction box very near to the spot we where hunting some months before Using as much as I as I could recall I TOLD HIM IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE DUE TO THE FACT THAT THIS PART OF PA DID NOT HAVE FLYING SQIRRELS As the old saying goes SEENG IS BELIVNG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread