Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have stuff you can eat on the go,there may not be time to stop and cook or prepare.Cans of spam,vienna sausages,protein bars,bottle of vitamins,some candy bars,water purifying tablets.With whats in my little back pack,I can last a month.Winter is different though,walking,hiking a lot and being out in the cold,plan on needing 5000 calories a day.Dont plan on just dehydrated stuff,what if water is scarce.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The water thing "Don't eat the yellow snow":laughing7:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Been thinking bout a bug out bag. I drive home to my farm every weekend, rent a trailer near where I work. Listen to news radio completely. Was hearing an ad for dehydrated survival foods. So, when I got back and online, I looked up the recommended website - sounded like such a great deal...

Good Lord!!! Beyond belief the cost.

Got my bag.

But what I do is little by little. I always make a point to go by the "discontinued" racks in the grocery stores, and pick up cans of food cheap, like half price. I check to make sure the barcode isn't China, and I get a couple or maybe more of the cans, and put them away. That adds up, and it doesn't deflate your bank account.

It's food, may not necessarily taste good if you're well fed, but it will taste darned good when I am really hungry.

Just tips from the outside....

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Been thinking bout a bug out bag. I drive home to my farm every weekend, rent a trailer near where I work. Listen to news radio completely. Was hearing an ad for dehydrated survival foods. So, when I got back and online, I looked up the recommended website - sounded like such a great deal...

Good Lord!!! Beyond belief the cost.

Got my bag.

But what I do is little by little. I always make a point to go by the "discontinued" racks in the grocery stores, and pick up cans of food cheap, like half price. I check to make sure the barcode isn't China, and I get a couple or maybe more of the cans, and put them away. That adds up, and it doesn't deflate your bank account.

It's food, may not necessarily taste good if you're well fed, but it will taste darned good when I am really hungry.

Just tips from the outside....

As long as it keeps you alive and going long enough to get situated,better organized,and the situation assessed better ,thats all that counts

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Take Jack Links beef jerky, moon pies and an RC. Grow your duck dynasty beard, wear your confederate flag bandana and at least y'all will die a good old boy...

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may well depend on where you live too. Remember that old country song, "Country Boys can Survive"? Lots of truth in that song. A 3-6 month supply for you and the family is recommended, but as has been said, it doesn't have to all be bought at one time. Put it together on a week by week basis, and depending what kind of food, be sure to check your dates and rotate it out too. Pressure in the inner cities and just the cities themselves will be much greater at first than it will out in the rural areas. Plan accordingly for all the contingencies that statement means too!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You don't have to be a "prepper" to be prepared either. When you buy canned food for example, buy more than you need. As you go about your daily life cooking and eating that food use the oldest first and keep replacing it so you always have a fresh surplus. Get a Sams club membership and buy cases instead of a couple cans but don't just let it sit. Eat it and keep replacing it. When it's half gone buy another case. Repeat.. Filling your basement with 3 months supply and then leaving it to rot is a huge waste of money. Where you live can play a role as well. Here in the East Tennessee mountains where I am I have a 200 acre cattle farm on 3 sides of my property. Next to that is corn fields for as far as I can see. An old friend once told me it's better to live where there are few people and be surrounded by food than to live where you're surrounded by people and have little food. Simple statement but very true.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all good ideas, thanks. I was thinking about the freeze dried stuff for the weight, a pack full of canned goods would be heavy.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
guess I could have the wife carry that one though

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
all good ideas, thanks. I was thinking about the freeze dried stuff for the weight, a pack full of canned goods would be heavy.
I guess I misunderstood your thread. So are you expecting a situation that will require you leaving your home to survive ? A good rifle, ammo for it, and the ability to use it will get you farther than a backpack full of food but I'm getting the impression from other recent posts of yours that you're anti-gun ? If I'm misreading you my apologies. How you prepare will, of course, depend greatly on WHERE you think you'll need to be. Leaving your home should be your last resort.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no I'm not anti gun, I have some. but I don't want to count on my hunting abilities. I want to be prepared even for my home being unusable yes. So i could get along in the woods for a week if we had to.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we had some recent tornados here in indiana, so it made me think about it

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have enough for a little while. If a blizzard is heading in, I pick up some extras, but that's about it. In case of apocalypse, I'm toast.....

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked into MREs, $400 plus shipping for 1 month, 1 person, 2000 cal./day was the best I could find. I'm guessing demand has been increasing over the last few years. It seems expensive.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Spam and fruitcake lasts forever... Seriously though freeze dried stuff will be the lightest to carry but you would have to be assured of a safe supply of clean water to drink and to turn your bags of dust back into food. If you're prepping for a natural disaster I still feel that storing supplies in or near your home is the best option. If you have a basement use that and just make sure whatever you store is well protected from tornados and other events that could level the house itself. For a bug out bag that you would take with you the lighter the better. Henry and Charter Arms used to make take down .22 caliber survival rifles that would be handy as well as having some basic fishing gear. Water purification tablets, salt, basic first aid stuff, a good knife and a hatchet, a waterproof fire starting method. There are good websites out there dedicated to answering all of your questions. Some things are extremely simple yet people don't think about it. Wear a bracelet made of woven paracord. Takes up no space and can be extremely handy if taken apart. Things like that can be the difference between making it or being a casualty

Last edited:

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes weight is important but freeze dried foods (which I really like) require water. You also need to carry water and that's heavy or you have to be dam sure that water is available where you plan on going.

Here are a few canned goods that last for many years, past their expiration dates, canned Tuna, Salmon, Vienna Sausages, Chef Boyardee Pastas, Spam, Corn Beef Hash, Peanut Butter, B&M Brown Breads, Beans (all Kinds) and Old Sailor Pilot Crackers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread