NOT A PREPPER, BUT..

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My situation requires me to bug in for various reasons and that's where I have placed all of my eggs. We have a multitude of gun calibers, crossbow, a lot of ammo, ability to load a lot more ammo, livestock, horses, 4x4's, bicycles, mre's, freeze dried food, fruit trees, gardens, seeds, fertilizer, various cooking methods from solar to propane, wood, dehydrator, freezers full of fish and meat, generators, a water well, stored water, lots of canned goods including veggies, tuna, and meats. Also have sugar, salt, flour, coffee, honey, some fuel, powdered milk for baking, enough yeast for at least 80 loaves of bread that require yeast, cb's, ham radios and hand-held radios. We have some medical supplies but need to get more. In the summer we grow crops and in early fall we get fruit and nuts from the trees. Winters are pretty mild but we do get dove, geese and ducks flying over at lower altitudes sometimes. No reason to bug out but could in a last-minute situation. If there is no time to pack a few things it's too late to do anything anyway.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff,

The best bet is to bug in if you can. Carrying all the necessary gear and food to survive for a week in the woods is more than most people can handle. My BOB in the truck weighs almost 90 pounds. Granted some of that would be distributed on a modified LBE harness, but it is still heavy.

For the home, buy things by the case when they are on sale and get several of these: Rotating Canned Food Storage System Shelf Rack for Cans 4000 Pound ...

They automatically rotate the canned goods based on usage. Writing the date on the cans with a Sharpie helps too when planning meals.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think bugging in sounds like a much better idea than bugging out plus I don't think the wifey wants to be a pack mule Jay-gee,lol!

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
want, want? where does that enter in? I make the rules around here!!

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinnin what if a tornado took the house or something

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO, except for maybe 20% of us, the way to go is Bugging In! Bugging out requires a lot of preparation, time, money, vehicles, equipment, supplies and especially, a place to go!!!

Those who Bug In and I don't just mean those that simply stay home, will have it easier, in many ways, and should do well. As I said Bug In vs. Just Staying Home. Bugging In means that you have made preparations, stocked food, water, medical supplies, tools and have firearms and ammunition's to protect yourself and your family!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bugging in or bugging out all depends on where you are and what the situation is.Its a time to pick your battles and your ground wisely.Trying to defend a position that cannot be defended is a fools errand.All you'll end up accomplishing is you and your family being dead.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take Jack Links beef jerky, moon pies and an RC. Grow your duck dynasty beard, wear your confederate flag bandana and at least y'all will die a good old boy...

Exactly!!!!........................HH

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bugging in or bugging out all depends on where you are and what the situation is.Its a time to pick your battles and your ground wisely.Trying to defend a position that cannot be defended is a fools errand.All you'll end up accomplishing is you and your family being dead.

I am sorry, but your statement has me a little confused. I don't understand the message.

In a SHTF Scenario, either Bugging In or Bugging Out, you have very little chance to pick your battles. The battles will simply come to you, especially in a Bugging In situation. In either case, if you show the bad guys that you have the weapons and are willing to fight, most likely they will move on, in search of easier targets. The ones who just simply decide to stay home, will be the easy targets!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry, but your statement has me a little confused. I don't understand the message.

In a SHTF Scenario, either Bugging In or Bugging Out, you have very little chance to pick your battles. The battles will simply come to you, especially in a Bugging In situation. In either case, if you show the bad guys that you have the weapons and are willing to fight, most likely they will move on, in search of easier targets. The ones who just simply decide to stay home, will be the easy targets!

Johnny lets say theres 4 or 5,make it 10 of you hunkered down in your house and you have word that an armed gang of 30 or 40 men are making the rounds in the next neighborhood.You have 2 choices,stay or leave,thats picking a battle if you choose to stay.People that havent eaten in a week arent going to care if youre armed and willing to fight.Hungry people are desperate people,they wont care.Stay and they will kill you and take what you have.If youve never gone hungry for a few days then you have no idea.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
however if you went and survived deep in the woods for a week or two, who would look there?

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny lets say theres 4 or 5,make it 10 of you hunkered down in your house and you have word that an armed gang of 30 or 40 men are making the rounds in the next neighborhood.You have 2 choices,stay or leave,thats picking a battle if you choose to stay.People that havent eaten in a week arent going to care if youre armed and willing to fight.Hungry people are desperate people,they wont care.Stay and they will kill you and take what you have.If youve never gone hungry for a few days then you have no idea.

That is an excellent point to consider and people planning to "Bug In" should do so, long before it happens. I believe it would be very rare to have be for-warned of a pending take over/attack.

For us, which includes our group of 8 and a neighbor family across the street, two housed over, to the left of us, a group of 9, have decided that no matter what comes at us, we are staying and fighting. Everything we have stashed and all our preparations are designed to "Bug In". If we all of a sudden decided to leave, we would lose everything! We would only, maybe, be able to take along 5% of what we have, including guns and ammo. Then, where would we go? We would be out there wondering around like so may others. Out there, we would certainly die in a short period of time. We have all agreed, that we will honker down and fight to the end! If we have any chance of staying alive, it will be where we honker down!!!

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
however if you went and survived deep in the woods for a week or two, who would look there?

Personally, I believe that is where most people, who plan to bug out, will go.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Neveda is kind of a tough spot Johnny.Your main concern,most likely,would be a steady supply of water, if the power goes down and youre not near a source.Im east coast,where I'm headed,I'm too close to Boston to suit my taste,Theres always an available source of water.As for you going to hunker down.Find an out of the way place,preferably wilderness area near an unmistakable landmark,mark it on a topo map and give everybody in your group a copy.All the members of your group cache some supplies there in case you have no choice but to bug out,make another cache close to that area that only you know about.Always have someplace to go as a back up,if you dont then you will be included in the people wandering with no idea what to do.

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neveda is kind of a tough spot Johnny.Your main concern,most likely,would be a steady supply of water, if the power goes down and youre not near a source.Im east coast,where I'm headed,I'm too close to Boston to suit my taste,Theres always an available source of water.As for you going to hunker down.Find an out of the way place,preferably wilderness area near an unmistakable landmark,mark it on a topo map and give everybody in your group a copy.All the members of your group cache some supplies there in case you have no choice but to bug out,make another cache close to that area that only you know about.Always have someplace to go as a back up,if you dont then you will be included in the people wandering with no idea what to do.

My friend, you are obviously a dedicated "Bug Out" person. I salute you for knowing what you want to do and have planned to do it. So many, many, people out there, simply have no idea, not a clue! I, on the other hand, am a dedicated "Bug In" person. I know what I will do and have planned it that way. Hopefully, neither of us will ever have to put our plans and preparations to the test!!!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I got you johnny,just dont fail to have another place to go,doesnt really matter where.Just a long as youre not running blind.Look at it as having a second line of defense ready in case the first line is over run.As in WW1 trench warfare.There was always another line of fortified positions behind the front most position.I cant really say i'm a dedicated bug out person,I'm just to close to heavily populated areas to suite my taste.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting