Status
Not open for further replies.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They already did.

And as far as renting the Ford Fusion Hybrids went, they offered me one at the desk for about $20 or $25 extra per day over the mid-size I had originally asked for when I asked if they planned to add Tesla's to their fleet anytime soon.....I reserved the second one by telephone the same day I booked my trip. Was about the same cost as the first time, although a different agency. I don't know how many they had, but getting one wasn't a problem. So I figured I'd give them a fair tryout. And you wouldn't have any trouble getting in and out of that car either. Just need to open that wallet a bit wider...that's all. You can ask TP how well the Fusion worked on Peralta Rd. on the way out.
I seriously doubt I would consider a pure EV for anywhere in the mountains though, and I would guess that only some of the higher end resort hotels have charging stations or even 115V outlets in their parking spots, if you could recharge one that way.

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
lol.. stop.. just stop. Quit while you're behind.
deducer...there you go again...speaking about something you haven't researched enough....i have been both a mechanic and a restorer of classic cars..if you knew my background you would go ahead and quit while you are waayy behind....and i wasn't trying to insult you...just stating the facts my friend:occasion14:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
deducer...there you go again...speaking about something you haven't researched enough....i have been both a mechanic and a restorer of classic cars..if you knew my background you would go ahead and quit while you are waayy behind....and i wasn't trying to insult you...just stating the facts my friend:occasion14:

Then you would know that "exchanging parts" is just a small part of what it takes to bring a car or motorcycle back to life, so I'm not sure why you would BS about that unless that's your opinion of people who restore cars/bikes. There's also timing and an endless amount of tuning to maximize performance, which I do myself. Curious, are you ASE certified or a self-taught mechanic? Or you just trained under someone for a while?

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The biggest engineering challenge facing operators of giant solar farms, like in Dubai,is keeping the panels free of debris (sand, dust) that affects their efficiency. In areas of vegetation (good for absorbing ambient heat created by panel farms like we’re building on the east coast USA), figuring out safe and efficient methods of trimming grass is another engineering challenge.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Then you would know that "exchanging parts" is just a small part of what it takes to bring a car or motorcycle back to life, so I'm not sure why you would BS about that unless that's your opinion of people who restore cars/bikes. There's also timing and an endless amount of tuning to maximize performance, which I do myself. Curious, are you ASE certified or a self-taught mechanic? Or you just trained under someone for a while?
25 years worth....

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
They already did.

And as far as renting the Ford Fusion Hybrids went, they offered me one at the desk for about $20 or $25 extra per day over the mid-size I had originally asked for when I asked if they planned to add Tesla's to their fleet anytime soon.....I reserved the second one by telephone the same day I booked my trip. Was about the same cost as the first time, although a different agency. I don't know how many they had, but getting one wasn't a problem. So I figured I'd give them a fair tryout. And you wouldn't have any trouble getting in and out of that car either. Just need to open that wallet a bit wider...that's all. You can ask TP how well the Fusion worked on Peralta Rd. on the way out.
I seriously doubt I would consider a pure EV for anywhere in the mountains though, and I would guess that only some of the higher end resort hotels have charging stations or even 115V outlets in their parking spots, if you could recharge one that way.

I have to admit that I have reservations about renting an EV in Phoenix. The infrastructure isn't there yet, at least not to the extent that it is out here in the northeast.

There's also reliability as far as maneuvering in the mountains- I still dream of renting something that can get me to the Tortilla trailhead without paying through the nose.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Of what? And when was the last time you picked up a wrench? Cars sure have changed a lot in the last decade or so.
lol...not really...still the same basic mechanical principal...same gas powered motor...same automatic transmission....just ran by computers...and that part isn't that hard ..only difference is mechanics are called technicians now and they can charge alot more dough for their services:dontknow:..what about you deducer?...spill about what you do for a living:icon_scratch:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
lol...not really...still the same basic mechanical principal...same gas powered motor...same automatic transmission....just ran by computers...and that part isn't that hard ..only difference is mechanics are called technicians now and they can charge alot more dough for their services:dontknow:..what about you deducer?...spill about what you do for a living:icon_scratch:

lol.. why should I tell you when you keep evading my questions. And other than the pistons, crank and camshaft, rockers, valves, maybe the block, very little remains the same as far as the internal combustion engine- we've gone a long way from points to electronic ignition, and from carbs to fuel injection. Computer-controlled, of course.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
lol.. why should I tell you when you keep evading my questions. And other than the pistons, crank and camshaft, rockers, valves, maybe the block, very little remains the same as far as the internal combustion engine- we've gone a long way from points to electronic ignition, and from carbs to fuel injection. Computer-controlled, of course.
i already told you what i did..but for some reason you wish to remain anonymous :icon_scratch:...you wont even tell us your name...lol....and i say again...the drive train on modern autos are still the same basic principal...matter of fact i was working on them the entire time all these changes took place...from points to electronic ignition...from carbs to fuel injection in 1987...there was a transitional period for a few years before fuel injection that they tried computer controlled carbs..they did nothing but cause problems...nobody here has evaded your questions deducer...but every time anyone asks you anything about yourself you go silent:dontknow:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit that I have reservations about renting an EV in Phoenix. The infrastructure isn't there yet, at least not to the extent that it is out here in the northeast.

There's also reliability as far as maneuvering in the mountains- I still dream of renting something that can get me to the Tortilla trailhead without paying through the nose.

Actually, that is something I am a bit worried about.
We know the FS would like nothing more than to close the Tortilla Ranch Road to vehicle traffic.
In fact Tom K. was fooled into thinking that was already the case, by a misleading notice posted by the FS on the big signboard out there by #88.
That entire area has been burned over by the Woodbury Fire, and should any large washouts occur now, I'd be willing to bet they will then post the road as closed due to dangerous conditions, without ever making any effort to effect repairs....so in other words.....permanently.
Then they will just make the parking area at #88 the new "trailhead".

Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Next, you'll be telling me you did it with duct tape and bailing wire. :rolleyes:

You could maybe rig something as far as the mechanical aspect of a modern car, but electronics- these are plug and play components that you can't take apart, and you need a $700 diagnostics scanner to even pointpoint what's gone wrong. In other words, you need a computer to find out what's wrong with the computer that's your modern car.

Well I bought a reader for the engine codes for about $75 US and that helped a lot. I do have a friend (EE) that rewrites engine code on Audis so he can rebore the cylinders and use bigger pistons. He also wrote code for Cisco Routers and passed it on to both Cisco and Microsoft, but he is way above me on that stuff. ;)

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If they can people out of an area, they are happy about it. the FS I mean. They don't want to go in there themselves, so if no one else can get in there then they don't have to. IMO of course.
I loved the time I spoke to the Head Ranger at Sierra Vista and he told me that there were 11 types of rattle snakes in the mountains and 5 were protected. I asked what he meant by protected. "If we catch you with one, it's a $1000 fine." I said, "If you catch me with one, 1) it will be dead as I'm not carrying out a live snake for positive ID for the Anti venom, and 2) I'll go to court over the fine." He just looked at me funny. LOL
The only way you will ever find me carrying a rattle snake is if it had bit me.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
i already told you what i did..but for some reason you wish to remain anonymous :icon_scratch:...you wont even tell us your name...lol....and i say again...the drive train on modern autos are still the same basic principal...matter of fact i was working on them the entire time all these changes took place...from points to electronic ignition...from carbs to fuel injection in 1987...there was a transitional period for a few years before fuel injection that they tried computer controlled carbs..they did nothing but cause problems...nobody here has evaded your questions deducer...but every time anyone asks you anything about yourself you go silent:dontknow:

Funny that you should accuse me of being obscure when, a few post back, you erroneously insinuated that I wasn't much of a mechanic. Instead of recanting, you've doubled down and remain obscure on what exactly gives you the background or seniority to do that.

You claimed to have restored classic cars, but were they yours? Did you restore them from the frame up? Rewire them?

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I bought a reader for the engine codes for about $75 US and that helped a lot. I do have a friend (EE) that rewrites engine code on Audis so he can rebore the cylinders and use bigger pistons. He also wrote code for Cisco Routers and passed it on to both Cisco and Microsoft, but he is way above me on that stuff. ;)

I don't have one but my friend does. Autozone and AAP sometimes have a code diagnostics scanner they lend out and I used one on my Tacoma to determine why the engine light had come on- turned out it was a faulty O2 sensor on the tailpipe. Not something you would find out by poking around under the hood, and unless you work on classics or restore them, these days are over.

txtea

Nov 16, 2009
Soooo..... how's the fire containment coming along?
You know...the reason for this thread? :icon_scratch:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, that is something I am a bit worried about.
We know the FS would like nothing more than to close the Tortilla Ranch Road to vehicle traffic.
In fact Tom K. was fooled into thinking that was already the case, by a misleading notice posted by the FS on the big signboard out there by #88.
That entire area has been burned over by the Woodbury Fire, and should any large washouts occur now, I'd be willing to bet they will then post the road as closed due to dangerous conditions, without ever making any effort to effect repairs....so in other words.....permanently.
Then they will just make the parking area at #88 the new "trailhead".

Not that I would blame them.. a trailhead right by 88 would be much easier to maintain. The FS has continually been shrinking, manpower and budget-wise. If the current administration had its way, there would be no FS.

The amount of vandalism, trashing, and defacement would then skyrocket.

I guess we'll see this coming fall. I'm hoping there will be a few good rainstorms before then, to at least tamp the ash down if not wash it away outright. Now that the dense underbrush is gone, there'll be a lot more areas and opportunities to explore and I'm looking forward to that.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Soooo..... how's the fire containment coming along?
You know...the reason for this thread? :icon_scratch:

Fire is contained but still not out. 88 is still closed past Tortilla Flat, to 188. Apache lake/marina/campgrounds still closed, as is Hewitt.

The fire in this thread is still going. :laughing7:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Not that I would blame them.. a trailhead right by 88 would be much easier to maintain. The FS has continually been shrinking, manpower and budget-wise. If the current administration had its way, there would be no FS.

The amount of vandalism, trashing, and defacement would then skyrocket.

I guess we'll see this coming fall. I'm hoping there will be a few good rainstorms before then, to at least tamp the ash down if not wash it away outright. Now that the dense underbrush is gone, there'll be a lot more areas and opportunities to explore and I'm looking forward to that.

I don't know what the short- and longer-term effect of the fire will be at those elevations in AZ, but we had a burn here about five years ago at 7,000 foot elevation in pine and oak. The fire destroyed everything down to dirt and the FS road through it was closed to the public for two years, due primarily to rain erosion that had to be remediated. That road likely would have been abandoned outright except that it led to a fire tower at its end.

Unfortunately, the longer term effect on the land after these fires - due to FS management protocols the past hundred years - is that what grows back rapidly at first in burn areas is frequently the brush that accentuated the burnout. This happens fast, and with no trees, chokes the land dramatically. If you want bare land to explore, you'd better not wait long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread