Not clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Wow, that's nice. My friend had a '70 or '71 Nova that he drove all over the country. It had a 396 block (it was a SS also) and drank so much gas, but was ultra dependable.. he loved it.
the 66 had a small block 400 with aluminium twisted wedge trick flow heads...also had a aftermarket fuel injection system...super t-10 4 speed...9 inch ford rear from a early bronco...aftermarket a/c...it got about 4 mpg...:unhappysmiley:...in the late 70's i had a 67 ss nova that got 1 mpg....if you put 1 gallon in...you had 1 mile before your were walking

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
the 66 had a small block 400 with aluminium twisted wedge trick flow heads...also had a aftermarket fuel injection system...super t-10 4 speed...9 inch ford rear from a early bronco...aftermarket a/c...it got about 4 mpg...:unhappysmiley:...in the late 70's i had a 67 ss nova that got 1 mpg....if you put 1 gallon in...you had 1 mile before your were walking

I was lucky if I could get 8-9 mpg out of the Continental, about 14 on the highway. Topped out at around 70.. compression wasn't all that good. Only had a 3 speed gearbox so it was a real guzzler. I only drove it once in a great while. It was such a smooth cruise you could fall asleep driving it.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I was lucky if I could get 8-9 mpg out of the Continental, about 14 on the highway. Topped out at around 70.. compression wasn't all that good. Only had a 3 speed gearbox so it was a real guzzler. I only drove it once in a great while. It was such a smooth cruise you could fall asleep driving it.
here is the 67 ss
black nova.jpg

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not bad for a bowtie! HAHAHA My first REAL hotrod was a '74 Gremlin X that wound up with an old Pontiac Super Duty 421 / 4spd. I later got my uncle's 67 Mustang GT Fastback (390 4spd). I got rid of both of them when I went into the military in 1980. When I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC, I built a 215ci aluminum V8 (1962 Buick Special Engine) and put it in a VW Karman Ghia for a buddy. I saw him smoke a 67 Vette (427 2x4bbl 4spd).

Deducer,

My grandfather drove NOTHING but Lincoln Marks since they came out in the 1950s. He owned a couple of Lincoln Mercury Dealerships from the early 1960s until the mid 1980s, so my first car was a '74 Cougar and after the electrical system got fried, I got a '79 Capri. I still L-O-V-E those old Continental Marks. Total Land Yachts. 460 cubic inches and smooth as silk! I keep trying to talk myself into getting one. They can still be found in beautiful condition FAIRLY cheap. Also, I live in an area where there is NO SMOG INSPECTION! So.....no cats and no smog system! Just imagine a 1977 Continental MkV 460 4v headers, duals, and deep quiet Flowmasters? Get rid of the C6 and use a newer 700r4 so 80 MPH at about 2000RPM. With about a 5500 RPM redline, that puts top end at about 140! I'm getting moist!

Mike

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

more eye candy..:headbang:
camaro.JPG

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn, this thread is still going?

The problem with the Fecal Circus, yes they are a chit circus, is the Fecal Circus itself. They think they are educated but most of them are not. Why spend $60-70k for a job that starts at $30k a year.

And they will lie, cheat, and steal to accomplish their goal of running everybody out of the forests. They have died about so much up here that it is beyond ridiculous. If they had actually followed the laws as required, this area would be better off.

Unfortunately, many, many more areas will burn before any of this is straightened out.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Nice pictures... any before and afters? Anyone who has done an actual restoration always has a before and after picture.

You also haven't answered the question- were you an actual mechanic? ASE certified or self-taught? :wink:

you haven't answered my question...what is your occupation arthur?....also if you want any more pics you will have to stop by ..either that or i'll bring them to the rendezvous...i will tell you one thing though.......back when i did them there were no internet to show you how to do everything ..no aftermarket parts..everything on the car had to be meticulously restored by hand...you had to be a mechanic..painter...upholsterer and artist to bring one back to life ..any nimrod can restore a classic car nowadays..most people i know that claim to have restored their car really didn't...all they did was take it apart...send everything out to the sandblaster..then to the painter...then order all the new aftermarket parts....send the car to the upholster ...then put the car back together...anyone that can put a testors model together can restore a car now ...its really not much of a challenge anymore

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
you haven't answered my question...what is your occupation arthur?....also if you want any more pics you will have to stop by ..either that or i'll bring them to the rendezvous...i will tell you one thing though.......back when i did them there were no internet to show you how to do everything ..no aftermarket parts..everything on the car had to be meticulously restored by hand...you had to be a mechanic..painter...upholsterer and artist to bring one back to life ..any nimrod can restore a classic car nowadays..most people i know that claim to have restored their car really didn't...all they did was take it apart...send everything out to the sandblaster..then to the painter...then order all the new aftermarket parts....send the car to the upholster ...then put the car back together...anyone that can put a testors model together can restore a car now ...its really not much of a challenge anymore

More sidetracking... :rolleyes:

Sure, the internet has made life a lot more easier, but restoring is still restoring. It's a skill.

And BTW, all the things you've described were readily available many years ago, including sandblasting and AM parts. They just existed in print catalogs, not on the internet. I'd actually say it's harder to find a upholster today than it was back then.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
More sidetracking... :rolleyes:

Sure, the internet has made life a lot more easier, but restoring is still restoring. It's a skill.

And BTW, all the things you've described were readily available many years ago, including sandblasting and AM parts. They just existed in print catalogs, not on the internet. I'd actually say it's harder to find a upholster today than it was back then.
sorry arthur but they weren't around...some of the more popular cars had some aftermarket parts available but not many..you had to find used original parts and restore them yourself...we did our own sandblasting and a miserable job it was...sidetracking?:icon_scratch:....you are the king of that...anything i say on here is true..or at least i believe its true...if you find where i have been slinging bs on here i'd like to see it....i'll tell you what arthur...i'll make a gentleman's wager with you...say 10k...i can prove everything i said in this thread....come to the rendezvous with 10k..so will i..we will have big mike hold the dough...i will bring proof of what i said....i have made this bet with a couple others on here and they tucked their tail between their legs and ran home to mommy..if you want to call me a liar you need to back it up with your wallet:headbang:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry arthur but they weren't around...some of the more popular cars had some aftermarket parts available but not many..you had to find used original parts and restore them yourself...we did our own sandblasting and a miserable job it was...sidetracking?:icon_scratch:....you are the king of that...anything i say on here is true..or at least i believe its true...if you find where i have been slinging bs on here i'd like to see it....i'll tell you what arthur...i'll make a gentleman's wager with you...say 10k...i can prove everything i said in this thread....come to the rendezvous with 10k..so will i..we will have big mike hold the dough...i will bring proof of what i said....i have made this bet with a couple others on here and they tucked their tail between their legs and ran home to mommy..if you want to call me a liar you need to back it up with your wallet:headbang:

lol.. as I've told you, I can't make the rendezvous this year. I will be there, later in November, however. I look forward to seeing your collection and to talking cars with you.

I've never called you a liar here or anywhere else.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
lol.. as I've told you, I can't make the rendezvous this year. I will be there, later in November, however. I look forward to seeing your collection and to talking cars with you.

I've never called you a liar here or anywhere else.
kinda sounded like you were hinting that way:icon_scratch:...collection?...lol...i gave up classic cars years ago....but i definitely have a box of old school pics if you'd like to see them

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
kinda sounded like you were hinting that way:icon_scratch:...collection?...lol...i gave up classic cars years ago....but i definitely have a box of old school pics if you'd like to see them

Relax, Dave. Nobody is calling you anything.

Asking you to prove or show that you were indeed a legitimate mechanic or at least someone who restored a car from the ground up, is not the same as calling you a liar.

You have refused to do so, so we'll just leave it at that.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Relax, Dave. Nobody is calling you anything.

Asking you to prove or show that you were indeed a legitimate mechanic or at least someone who restored a car from the ground up, is not the same as calling you a liar.

You have refused to do so, so we'll just leave it at that.
i dont think so arthur....like i said..you should get some background on a man before you spout off...bring your dough to the rendezvous..i'll bring mine and a dozen witness's that will vouch for me...bring your witness's..(wait..you don't have any..lol) and we'll see who walks away with an empty wallet......the talkin is done..time to put up or shut up:occasion14:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
i dont think so arthur....like i said..you should get some background on a man before you spout off...bring your dough to the rendezvous..i'll bring mine and a dozen witness's that will vouch for me...bring your witness's..(wait..you don't have any..lol) and we'll see who walks away with an empty wallet......the talkin is done..time to put up or shut up:occasion14:

A showdown at high noon eh? Gee, Dave.. sounds like fun.

Again, I'll be in Mexico at the time of the Rendezvous, but I'll see you sometimes in November, no worries.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
A showdown at high noon eh? Gee, Dave.. sounds like fun.

Again, I'll be in Mexico at the time of the Rendezvous, but I'll see you sometimes in November, no worries.
who's sidestepping now?....bring your dough in November:laughing7:

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AbTexEx. Thanks for coming back to the topic and the updated material.

Hey Dave and Arthur why don't you BOTH just stop already . your ruining a good thread. Neither of you are proving anything here...…………...I.M.O. anyways

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hi AbTexEx. Thanks for coming back to the topic and the updated material.

Hey Dave and Arthur why don't you BOTH just stop already . your ruining a good thread. Neither of you are proving anything here...…………...I.M.O. anyways
nobody asked you...the thread wasn't that great anyway..we were the only ones posting:dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread