Not sure How I didn;t notice this

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Not sure How I didn;t notice that what I thought was a penny was actualy a dime. I guess it was just coverd with so much crud it looked like a penny. It was my oldest find so far of coins. It was a 1965 dime. What years were dimes made of silver? I belive this one is a clad dime. Althought I am a bit new to this so im a bit fuzzy on what clad is.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concerning silver in coinage meant for circulation.

Dimes, quarters and half dollars are 90% silver when being 1964 and before. Dimes and quarters, excepting some proof only issues, are copper-nickel clad when 1965 and later. Half Dollars are 40% silver 1965-1970 and then copper nickel-clad thereafter excepting certain proof only issues.

Dollar coins are 90% up to the Eisenhower Dollar series. 1971-1976 Ikes minted in San Francisco are 40% silver.

And don't forget the 5 cent coin of relative recent mintage. Jefferson "Nickels" minted from 1942-1945 with the large P,D or S on the reverse above Monticello are 35% silver.

There are also a few very rare strikes of some of these coins that were minted on the wrong planchet but virtually never found in circulation due to the extreme rarity.

OP
OP
T

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
DigginThePast said:

Dimes, quarters and half dollars are 90% silver when being 1964 and before. Dimes and quarters, excepting some proof only issues, are copper-nickel clad when 1965 and later. Half Dollars are 40% silver 1965-1970 and then copper nickel-clad thereafter excepting certain proof only issues.

Dollar coins are 90% up to the Eisenhower Dollar series. 1971-1976 Ikes minted in San Francisco are 40% silver.

And don't forget the 5 cent coin of relative recent mintage. Jefferson "Nickels" minted from 1942-1945 with the large P,D or S on the reverse above Monticello are 35% silver.

There are also a few very rare strikes of some of these coins that were minted on the wrong planchet but virtually never found in circulation due to the extreme rarity.
thanks for the great information!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truffleshuffle said:
DigginThePast said:

thanks for the great information!

You are welcome. Good luck out there! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread