Not sure what these carvings are . . .

R

Rennwaggen

These three are among numerous characters carved here. I have drawn them freehand, so there may be some variation from the original.

carving.jpg

I have more, but am looking to see where to start.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Rennwagen,
Where are you finding this stuff?
It's cool.
I would like to help.
It appears to be runic and something I am not familiar with.

Sorry,
Thom

panthr

Apr 7, 2009
Sorry to be replying so late but I just joined Tnet... These appear to be Chinese characters. the three characters in the picture look like the characters for "qian", "da", and "jiu". Roughly translated it means "owe large nine"

Hope this helps

panthr

Apr 7, 2009
rangler said:
panther,
Welcome to Tnet.
I am not versed on chinese characters but are there any subtleties in these characters
that could tilt the meaning to:

"own large mine"

Just a thought...
rangler

No Chinese characters are not a phonetic alphabet like our ABCs. Just curious, are there any old railroad lines close by? How many characters total are there?

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may not be phonetic to chinese. But other people who know chinese may have wrote those to represent.

panthr

Apr 7, 2009
alpha105 said:
They may not be phonetic to chinese. But other people who know chinese may have wrote those to represent.

Anything is possible! Here is the scenario that I am thinking of. The Chinese were employed by the railroad companies beginning in 1865. They were known to be experts in drilling and blasting thru mountains and rock among other things. It is entirely possible that while blasting/drilling, they happened upon a gold vein. Naturally they would want to hide it from their foreman and it is highly unlikely that any Americans could read Chinese characters back then so they coul carve it out quite plainly in Chinese characters on a tree and their American foremen would be none the wiser.

Likely Guy

I noticed that Rennwaggen originally posted this thread in June 2008. Are they still an active member? The obvious questions:

1. Carved into what? (tree, rock, etc.)
2. Carved where? (which state)
3. Carved near where? (railway line as alpha105 surmised)
4. What are the other characters?

P.S.: Just checked Rennwaggen's profile and was last active on January 23rd. Maybe they'll come back.

OP
OP
R

Rennwaggen

Hi panthr, check your email on the board.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread