Nothin BUT, Drill Holes...

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
I had previously attempted to start a thread on this subject and I really liked the potential it had. So, here we go. Take two... In our treasure hunting travels we sometimes come across the strange and mysterious. I would like to think that the presence of Drill Holes would definately classify as that. Now. I may be incorrect, but there are three types: ones associated with Spainsh S/S, ones related to the Vikings and ones used by the KGC.

From what I have seen, the ones associated with the Spanish S/S could be considered "dots" rather than holes because of their general appearance. They are usually not as wide and more shallow than the others. The ones I have physically seen of the KGC tend to be cleaner and more uniform. For two reasons, they are the most recent and hand drill technology was better at the time. As for the Vikings, my guess, from what I have seen is that they tend to be more abstract with their drill holes. In other words, they will be long, deep ovals or shallow, wide circles. Almost as if the were "ground" into the rock and not drilled. (Dsty would be the most informed person I know of with regards to this type)

The intent of this thread is to ask questions. There is no bad/wrong question save the one NOT asked. Additionally, (resize) and post your photos. After all, we need subject matter, right?

Here we go!

Attachments

• TRI CLOSE.jpg
    TRI CLOSE.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,681

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Clay Lindsey said:
These are KGC. The "pivot" hole is on the right and there is exactly 33 degrees between the lower and upper left.

Clay
I measure 35 deg myself, but assuming the angle is 33 deg, why do you assign these holes to the 'KGC'?

And while we're at it, 1) who were the 'KGC' (not the overt Civil War era political group, but the more recent alleged covert secret group), 2) why did they leave all the rock carvings and other clues attributed to them, 3) what do these clues represent, and 4) why do you feel that, if this secret group exists and did these mysterious things, that anyone other than an insider has the slightest chance of decyphering their motives or the meanings of their clues? Another couple questions: 1) why do more and more clues keep appearing, 2) why are damaged clues repaired or replaced?

I know that the recent lore assumes that solving these clues will lead the smart guy to a treasure in hidden gold, but what if it leads the smart guy to something else instead?

OP
OP
Clay Lindsey

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Springfield,

The angle between the holes on the left and the hole on the right is distorted in the photo because the rock has a 90 degree bend in the middle. When a flexible sheet (simulated animal skin) was used to transfer the holes, a protractor revealed the true angle. As for the KGC part, evidence found in later S/S gave me the signature. Forgive me if I hold back on those for the moment. Don't worry bud. It is because of you I keep my game tight. I respect your ability to make sure people are 100% on their findings and that makes me glad you're here. Thank you for your input.

Clay

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Clay Lindsey said:
Springfield,

The angle between the holes on the left and the hole on the right is distorted in the photo because the rock has a 90 degree bend in the middle. When a flexible sheet (simulated animal skin) was used to transfer the holes, a protractor revealed the true angle. As for the KGC part, evidence found in later S/S gave me the signature. Forgive me if I hold back on those for the moment. Don't worry bud. It is because of you I keep my game tight. I respect your ability to make sure people are 100% on their findings and that makes me glad you're here. Thank you for your input.

Clay
Huh?

OP
OP
Clay Lindsey

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Sorry. I'll explain differently. The photo of the boulder was taken at a distance and looking straight on at the corner. Like the corner of a building where the two holes would be on the left and the pivot hole being on the right. The photo makes the corner look flat. I have a better picture of me reaching around the corner of the boulder at home. I'll post it as soon as I can.

Clay

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay:
On the older sites that have "dots" instead of drill holes; could the "dots" be the locations for a tripod's feet? Taking straight rods of equal lengths, placing one end of each, together and tie them off, then spread the other ends to where they can, each, sit on a "dot". I know this doesn't' sound very logical. Just throwing out an idea like we were sitting around "shotgunning" ideas to see what might be useable. :dontknow:
Another shotgun idea: could a bunch of dots be connected together to form a specific picture. Like the connect-a-dot pictures in kids books today.
Since early explorers used the stars to navigate by; could some dot patterns represent constellations to "shoot" a course from present point to another?

Well, guess that's enough "shotgunning" for today. (or permanently :laughing7: )

OP
OP
Clay Lindsey

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Springfield said:
Clay Lindsey said:
These are KGC. The "pivot" hole is on the right and there is exactly 33 degrees between the lower and upper left.

Clay
I measure 35 deg myself, but assuming the angle is 33 deg, why do you assign these holes to the 'KGC'?

And while we're at it, 1) who were the 'KGC' (not the overt Civil War era political group, but the more recent alleged covert secret group), 2) why did they leave all the rock carvings and other clues attributed to them, 3) what do these clues represent, and 4) why do you feel that, if this secret group exists and did these mysterious things, that anyone other than an insider has the slightest chance of decyphering their motives or the meanings of their clues? Another couple questions: 1) why do more and more clues keep appearing, 2) why are damaged clues repaired or replaced?

I know that the recent lore assumes that solving these clues will lead the smart guy to a treasure in hidden gold, but what if it leads the smart guy to something else instead?

Ah... I quickly glanced over the post and missed your questions. This is what I know. I can't, nor can anyone else be absolutely, without a doubt, sure of "who" they are chasing without the benefit of a time travel device. I have been able to make the most headway with regards to this site by using the lore of the KGC from the late 1800's. So yes. I cannot prove it is a KGC site. However, by using a comparision of activies known to have occurred in this area, I can reasonably deduct with a favorable margin the "who". You ask a lot of good questions. I wish I could provide you with an answer to all of them. One day I hope to be able to do so. In everything I do, I do my best to look at all of the possible attributes to the things I am dealing with. So, when I mention KGC. It is a relative guess and its the best guess I have. I, as always, appreciate your candor.

Clay

OP
OP
Clay Lindsey

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Shortstack,

My honest answer is that I don't know. I have only seen of instances in my research where either other forum posters or authors of books have made claims to all of these instances. Are they valid? Having no personal experience with it, I can't say. Are they possible, sure.

Clay

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
""Now. I may be incorrect, but there are three types: ones associated with Spainsh S/S, ones related to the Vikings and ones used by the KGC.""

I must be missing something in regard to this post, as there ARE other kinds of drill holes or at least the reason for drill holes. I have often found holes drilled in the rock in my travels, and though they are old and sometimes in the middle of nowhere they are not related to the three types mentioned above. I have seen them in stream beds, where they are the anchor points for wooden dams, I have seen them in the wilds where they are from core drills sampling the bedrock, I have seen them in areas where stone has been quarried. I have also seen them where they were used for anchoring points for block & tackle.

How am I to distinguish a hole found in the deep woods, as Spanish, Viking, or KGC and related to treasure, over against those who's origin is more mundane ?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Clay Lindsey said:
... In everything I do, I do my best to look at all of the possible attributes to the things I am dealing with. So, when I mention KGC. It is a relative guess and its the best guess I have. ....

Well, it's a hopeful guess anyway.

Strange manmade signs found in terra obscura most frequently have a logical, if prosaic, explanation lost on today's electronic generation. As Stack hinted at, these shallow vertical holes in the rock outcropping can plausibly be attributed to a field surveyor's work, in this case a possible solid base for a tripod holding his instrument. Why would a surveyor go to the trouble of doing such a thing? Possibly because it was a calculated location on his field traverse, a permanent position used for a boundary survey. The only way to tell for sure would be to find the surveyor's field notes if this would turn out to be the case.

In pre-GPS days, a field surveyor was hard often pressed to establish permanent locations, especially in uninhabited terrain. Many property corners, and not a few section corners, are marked stones - carved symbols left on rocks lying on the ground. Treasure hunters have been very excited to find these, and land surveyors just shake their heads, wishing that the stones had been left undisturbed. It takes a lot of effort to track down old land surveys and mining locations (often the source of enigmatic 'clues' found in the boondocks), but the results can be very revealing.

OP
OP
Clay Lindsey

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Littleneckhalfshell,

That is the perfect question. Now as stated above, we never can be 100% sure of "who" made them unless we have had the benefit of seening the drill hole made in person at the time they were made. All we can do is guess. But from there you have two options: playing a wild guess or making an educated guess. Having an analytical background, I try to gather as much historical information as possible about the area. Then, I start crossing out the options that are the least likely. This should leave you with a few really good leads to continue your research. The way I categorized the holes above is admittedly novice, only based on my research. Are there more possibilities? Sure. Hope this helps.

Clay

OP
OP
Clay Lindsey

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Springfield,

If one's only goal is to follow some old forgotten trail, then yes, being hopeful is healthy. I do realize there could be a small chance of me chasing my tail with the pursuit of lost treasure. But hey, when the dog does it, it looks fun. Right? I appreciate your involvement in this thread. It will help keep it grounded.

Clay

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Clay Lindsey said:
.... I do realize there could be a small chance of me chasing my tail with the pursuit of lost treasure. ....
Clay

Ha ha. Good one. Glad you have a sense of humor.

OP
OP
Clay Lindsey

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Ok! Back on track. I'm posting this next photo for two reasons: for one, it better shows the "corner" on the boulder. And for two, it shows how much detail can be lost by taking a photo of your proposed S/S in a certain way. In summary, because I took the first photo head on at the corner, it made the rock look flat. By losing the third dimension, I may have lost some important information. So be careful when you take pictures out in the field. Note: the third hole (upper left) is behind my shoulder by my chin.

Attachments

• reach around.JPG
    reach around.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 2,335
OP
OP
Clay Lindsey

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Here's is something special I have been holding on to. There is more associated with it, but I wanted to throw it out there and get your thoughts....

Attachments

• star_flower.JPG
    star_flower.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,200
OP
OP
Clay Lindsey

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Something else I have been working on.... I have recieved loads of valuable input from DSTY, but haven't had the opportunity to explore all of the options yet.

BUT, since I am currently side tracked by another related/unrelated project, I thought I would toss these photos into the mix with the possibility existing that someone else had experienced this layout before and is equally as confused as I am or for those of you, like our dear brother Shortstack, who enjoy a great challenge.

This is beyond-MENSA level stuff....

The first photo is the infamous four.

The second, my girlfriend is standing on them.

Clay

Attachments

• new four - Copy.JPG
    new four - Copy.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 2,091
  • where four sit.JPG
    where four sit.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 2,108

jayheazy

Oct 13, 2007
Clay, could you tell me what the 33 degree angle on your drill hole stone means.
Reason being, I found a triangle marker stone with the same angles.

Thanks, Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread