Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

A bit late on a post from last weekend after getting back from overseas. Had the opportunity to scout a promising 18th century homestead with DownNDirty (Glenn). His research had landed us on a nicely plowed fields in the upstate...a welcome relief from the briers, poison ivy, and pluff mud I'm accustomed from digging down on the coast. While the finds were modest, I'll take quality over quantity any day. The big surprise was actually my first target- a screaming 12-45 on the CTX. Never would have guessed I'd ever see one of these in the plug...a roached but identifiable Nova Constellatio.

20180127_174606.jpg 20180127_174644.jpg

Even in this condition- this one is certainly a bucket list coin. I can easily make out Libertas and Justice, but I suspect it's to far gone for a variety ID. Suspect the plow hit it twice before I managed to save her. Here's my best guess

20180127_171446.jpg nova_constellatio.jpg 20180127_171453 (1).jpg

While these do turn up in the north, how this one migrated to SC is certainly a mystery. The next best dig of the day was a nice silver thimble.

20180127_171337.jpg 20180127_171342.jpg

As usual as nice assortment of flat buttons

20180127_171042.jpg 20180127_171101.jpg

Furniture hardware, buckle fragment and pewter spoon

20180127_171307.jpg

Also dug an interesting leather boss, stirrup fragment and belt rivets

20180127_171200.jpg 20180127_171217.jpg 20180127_171233.jpg

That about covers the spread- another bucket list coin checked off and a nice piece of colonial silver as icing on the cake. As always thanks for looking and good luck out there this weekend.

20180127_171657.jpg 20180127_171714.jpg

Upvote 39
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find Jon for the Upstate of SC. Sure missed you joining us today as you know Glenn extended invitation to me(you as,well). I think he felt sorry for me since it has been quite sometime since I've been digging because I found out I can't chew gum and walk at the same time without falling . But it seems like my hearing is failing me because I thought Glenn said we would hunt a 1750's site but it was for me at least an 1950's site. I think Glenn is paying me back for the Wildgoose Chase i put him through on a Fort site some time back.:laughing7:

Haha Allen, figured you would have bird dogged the best targets while Glenn was meticulously swinging in grid. Sorry we couldn't link up, hopefully we can get the band back together soon

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your best guess is the pointed ray? Clean it up and get busy on the ID The club is the most likely but don't guess its the rarest without proof! Show us more

Full disclosure Trd, I'm a button... not a coin guy so ID was a shot in the dark based on details (and those missing) I could make out. Given the state of the copper, further cleaning would likely leave me with a copper slug. Certainly open to other opinions on the variety

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice! The Nova Constellatios sure have ben popping up on here lately! They were one of the most widely circulated colonial coins and must have been imported in huge numbers. They often show up as undertypes on the state coppers as well, being quite underweight they were a cheap source of ready made planchets. Looking at it I wouldn't be surprise if the variety could be ID'd. Congratulations!

Thanks cutler, happy to join the Nova club, hopefully I can get a more definitive ID

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic hunt! Congratualtions on the NOVA! :occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Steve, glad to join the Nova club
Yes, welcome to the club! To answer your above question, I wouldn’t give it any more than a minimal clean to remove loose dirt. Ahab introduces me to cold peroxide cleaning a year about two years ago. It darkens slightly but is super gentle cleaning. To lighten and preserve after I give it a peroxide soak and museum wax coat.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations again Jon, we had a really good hunt that day for sure. Between the two of us we dug four 1700s coppers there.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately Jon that was my last hunt ever and I could not have spent it with a greater guy than Glenn. He was even gifted with DirtStalkers last relic giveaways. Had you a little Rev War button but you couldn't make it. While I didn't swing over any great relics yesterday I did birddog a potential hotspot. I did keep one of my finds from yesterday it was the only pulltab in that million acre field. Wishing yall all the luck in the world.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job pal. Certainly one that I would love to find. This is going to be a really fun year and I’m looking forward to sharing finds.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, welcome to the club! To answer your above question, I wouldn’t give it any more than a minimal clean to remove loose dirt. Ahab introduces me to cold peroxide cleaning a year about two years ago. It darkens slightly but is super gentle cleaning. To lighten and preserve after I give it a peroxide soak and museum wax coat.

It took me a long time to figure this out and tons of destroyed coppers. But the cold peroxide is extremely gentle. I have left coins in for weeks before. I have examples of Indian heads with the dreaded coast crust that’s like concrete. Some took weeks and several changes of the hp. But underneath the crust can be a perfectly preserved copper.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the copper and the other relics. I'd go the cold HP route as well, it eats the organic material but not the actual metal.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's what I used to clean it, cold peroxide and a q tip. Probably seal it up with Ren wax and call it good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions