Numbered Military Buttons - Lets see em!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• numb4.jpg
    numb4.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 691
  • numb1.jpg
    numb1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 693
  • numb2.jpg
    numb2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 694
  • numb3.jpg
    numb3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 989
  • numb4.jpg
    numb4.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 700
Upvote 0

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Numbered Military Buttons - Let's see em!

My one and only numbered button: Continental Army, Mass. 10th Regiment.

Attachments

• 10th regiment button.jpg
    10th regiment button.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 316
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brian in MA said:
My one and only numbered button: Continental Army, Mass. 10th Regiment.

Well if you're only going to get one you sure picked your spot! :headbang: I'd rather one great one than 25 ok ones, so you didn't dig just one, you dug the equivalent to 25! ;D

I hope you are taking good care of that one!

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other

IP,

Yes, I am quite thrilled with this button as I found it in my hometown. I have spent a great deal of time researching the history of my town and to have find this was simply priceless to me. I also found a Continental Artillery button in the same area. But, it is real rough shape.

You asked if I have been taking good care of it. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have not. I found this about 7 years ago. It was recovered from a swampy area that had dried up during a drought. It was several inches deep in this real silt like muck. I theorized that this actually helped preserve it all these years?. I found musket balls in this silt too. They are the only ones I have found that did not have the usual 'whitish' coloring that you see with ones found in soil.

Anyway, I have done nothing to the button other than admire it every now and then. I have read many of your posts and have heard you talk about 'sealing' buttons. I have been meaning to contact you for years to get more info on what seems like a delicate technique. Is it really as simple as painting on a varnish with a brush?

The 7 years out of the silty muck does not seem to have worsened its condition as it appears to be in the same condition as when I found it.

I would really appreciate hearing any advice you would be willing to share on how (or if) I should take any action on trying to preserve this button. Is there a risk in doing nothing?

Thanks,

Brian in MA

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brian in MA said:
IP,

Yes, I am quite thrilled with this button as I found it in my hometown. I have spent a great deal of time researching the history of my town and to have find this was simply priceless to me. I also found a Continental Artillery button in the same area. But, it is real rough shape.

You asked if I have been taking good care of it. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have not. I found this about 7 years ago. It was recovered from a swampy area that had dried up during a drought. It was several inches deep in this real silt like muck. I theorized that this actually helped preserve it all these years?. I found musket balls in this silt too. They are the only ones I have found that did not have the usual 'whitish' coloring that you see with ones found in soil.

Anyway, I have done nothing to the button other than admire it every now and then. I have read many of your posts and have heard you talk about 'sealing' buttons. I have been meaning to contact you for years to get more info on what seems like a delicate technique. Is it really as simple as painting on a varnish with a brush?

The 7 years out of the silty muck does not seem to have worsened its condition as it appears to be in the same condition as when I found it.

I would really appreciate hearing any advice you would be willing to share on how (or if) I should take any action on trying to preserve this button. Is there a risk in doing nothing?

Thanks,

Brian in MA

It does look in great condition which is no question why it held up that long. Most of the Rev pewter buttons I've dug would be in several pieces had I left them that long. If you take a look at my buttons in this post you can see a large crack in the Rev 42nd Black Watch button, it's around the entire thing, and I just barely caught it! I bet a month or two later the entire piece would have broken off. For all I know your button could be good another 20 years, but can you imagine someday seeing a large crack, or worse some edge loss. I sure wouldn't risk it as easy as it is to seal them. I bet it has no shank, or a pewter one, and that's probably what explains the great condition.

Yes, all I do is paint on a coat of water-based urethane (clear coat) and wipe. First I do the back and sides, let dry, then do the face. By using a lint free cloth and wiping right away it makes the coat very then. If you leave it painted on without a wiping it will be thick and glossy. It's a piece of cake. Just grab a few of your old pewters to try it on first.

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks IP for the advice. I think I will do it. I took the button out after your last post to examine it. The overall color seems to be lighter now. Like it has 'dried out'. So, maybe those 7 years are starting to take a toll?

I took a couple of new pics (sorry, the lighting conditions were not good). If you look closely on the front between about 12 & 1 o'clock you'll see there is still some 'crud' on the button. Also, the back has a bit of crud as well. The pics do not really show the true amount of dirt. Should I attempt to remove this before putting the poly on? Or, will this cause more harm?

Thanks again. If you want to reply via PM feel free. I didn't mean to hi-jack your post. I know I can get quite wordy and this post is supposed to be all about PICTURES. But, I'm sure others would be very interested in reading your reply as you are certainly a well known and respected authority on buttons and we value your opinions and suggestions.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_3445.jpg
    IMG_3445.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 290
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The most I'd do on that button would be soap and water with a little light brushing to remove loose dirt. (always handle it in a way that if you drop it, it survives!) For anything you can classify as crud I would not attempt it. It would probably be easier to cause harm than to do good. The button probably is drying out and hairline cracks can get worse in a hurry.

No hijacking this thread, it's all good! :thumbsup: I think subtopics within a topic just make a thread more interesting. Add to that cracking a couple jokes at the UK guys, plus a photoshopped pic of PA Colonial Kirk, and that's a good party right there. ;D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

not really got any quality ones :tongue3:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 291
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 285
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:

I have to disagree with that!

It's too bad the 6th is just barely post Rev War. It's a beauty! My friend the Patriot on here has a buddy who dug the same one.

Backmark or on the 20th in the first pic? I think it's probably post as well but very nice!

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch said:

The most I'd do on that button would be soap and water with a little light brushing to remove loose dirt.

IP, just to be clear. Are you saying soap and water only. Or, soap and water to clean, then proceed with the urethane?

Thanks...

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brian in MA said:
Iron Patch said:

The most I'd do on that button would be soap and water with a little light brushing to remove loose dirt.

IP, just to be clear. Are you saying soap and water only. Or, soap and water to clean, then proceed with the urethane?

Thanks...

I'm saying soap and water to clean the dirt if you've never done it. Let it dry well, then do the urethane.

But play on some other buttons first. You've had the patience for 7 years to let it sit, so a little while longer to make sure you're happy with the result only makes sense.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dig-Dug (was OBX Slumlord) said:
CRUSADER said:

I agree with Iron patch - they are all great finds. At least they have something to look at to spark the imagination!

It doesn't make sense to appreciate a button less because it is not pretty to look at. Yes I do it too... but when we do we're missing the true importance of it.

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

Hers mine that was found at a Indian Camp. Was glad to find it as the fort is near by.

Attachments

• Picture 111.jpg
    Picture 111.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 270

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions