Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is no riddle, it has been proven that the Portuguese brought coconuts to the so-called New World in 1499: Not Templars or Swallows.

Cheers, Loki

Peter Martyr wrote of American coconuts in his "Decades" published in 1511. He describes them as being well-established, and found "throughout the land" Martyr specifically references Hispanola, Panama, San Juan (Puerto Rico), and Santo Domingo - all SPANISH possessions, not Portuguese - Well-known to the natives, who referred to the tree as "coca", they used thatch from the fronds to roof their dwellings, and wove cloth from the fibers.

Martyr describes them as "date trees" (the ONLY type of palm familiar to Europeans), yet he describes the fruits of these "date trees" to be "as big as a man's head, and are broken when pounded upon; to release sweet milk and white meat"...sounds like coconuts.

Considering Martyr's information had been gathered over several years before writing of it in 1511, how prolific would coconut palms have been to spread "throughout the land" - particularly in lands not controlled by the Portuguese - in what must have been less than 10 years?

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Peter Martyr wrote of American coconuts in his "Decades" published in 1511. He describes them as being well-established, and found "throughout the land" Martyr specifically references Hispanola, Panama, San Juan (Puerto Rico), and Santo Domingo - all SPANISH possessions, not Portuguese - Well-known to the natives, who referred to the tree as "coca", they used thatch from the fronds to roof their dwellings, and wove cloth from the fibers.

Martyr describes them as "date trees" (the ONLY type of palm familiar to Europeans), yet he describes the fruits of these "date trees" to be "as big as a man's head, and are broken when pounded upon; to release sweet milk and white meat"...sounds like coconuts.

Considering Martyr's information had been gathered over several years before writing of it in 1511, how prolific would coconut palms have been to spread "throughout the land" - particularly in lands not controlled by the Portuguese - in what must have been less than 10 years?

It would be noteworthy to mention that Martyr was writing about the introduction of coconuts to the Americas in his "Decades". In O.F. Cook's "History of the Coconut Palm in America" 1910 (a work that has been largely discredited by more recent scientific studies) he cites Martyr's discussion, mentioning that despite his disagreement with Cook's own work some of his statements indicated otherwise.
Peter Martyr never ventured to the New World and as I mentioned all recent scientific studies have proven the coconuts were introduced to the Atlantic Basin by the Portuguese in 1499-1500! I can cite sources if you wish, but I have published them here many times.

Cheers, loki

Last edited:

Frznrth

Apr 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
I'm been fascinated by Oak Island ever since reading about it in Reader's Digest when I was young. I haven't had time to look thought all 177 pages of this post so forgive me if you have answered this already.

Assuming that someone did hide something on the Island a long time ago - do you think they would have hidden it in the "money pit" or could this pit have been a decoy? Heck of a lot of work for a decoy - and why would you draw extra attention to an island where you actually did hide something? If the pit is a decoy would the real hiding place have been the swamp? If the pit was the real hiding place, could the swamp have somehow provided easier access to whatever was there?

Much nicer to think about buried treasure than all the crap in the world at the moment.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome.

Been at least 28 attempts ('s true) to find what the pit may hold, have held or why it was "made". Some argue it was just a natural glacial sinkhole with flotsam and silt that filled in. That's my choice. If you read back through you'll see it's all been covered (and about all of the northern hemisphere is directly related to Oak Island, apparently).

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My newest theory is that the treasure is buried in the so called "Cave in Pond" If you dug the main hole and then a shaft to flood it you would not be able to seal the water out for certain. You would also want to be able to retrieve the treasure or goods easily with out complication in a haste if you had to. For these reasons I think the original hiders would have dug a side tunnel off the flood tunnel that was above the waterline to store the treasure. that way they could come back and dig down to it easily. The cave in pond fits this description pretty well. Either way I am still hoping they find some awesome stuff. But it does seem like we'll be getting at least another season of the show which I am ok with.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an article that may make one rethink about the copper mined in the Northern Hemisphere? Screenshot_2020-04-20 OIAG - Oak Island Archaeoastronomy Group.png

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome To The Show!...Frznrth

Hi
I'm been fascinated by Oak Island ever since reading about it in Reader's Digest when I was young. I haven't had time to look thought all 177 pages of this post so forgive me if you have answered this already.

Assuming that someone did hide something on the Island a long time ago - do you think they would have hidden it in the "money pit" or could this pit have been a decoy? Heck of a lot of work for a decoy - and why would you draw extra attention to an island where you actually did hide something? If the pit is a decoy would the real hiding place have been the swamp? If the pit was the real hiding place, could the swamp have somehow provided easier access to whatever was there?

Much nicer to think about buried treasure than all the crap in the world at the moment.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I would imagine this is short for "Frozen North"...here in Canada this would be a good...Avatar Name!

My Theory...has the Freemason with the British Royal Navy constructing the Money Pit with the help of their Cornish Miner Crew... to dig this massive undertaking.

In my Theory... I have the Money Pit as a sort of Entry Elevator leading to different underground Tunnels.

One leads East to Smiths Cove as a Drainage Tunnel.

One Leads South West to South Shore as a Flood Tunnel.

One leads West to the Swamp branching off to Francis Bacon's Tomb...and from there up North/West to the top of the Island where the main Treasure Vault is located.

Freemason's Celestial Map March 2020.jpg

Many say... this amount of Tunneling was impossible for these men...but I believe this was a piece of cake compared to what Cornish Miners did back at Cornwall.

Cornish Tin Miner.jpg

I say... once the Money Pit was completed it was not necessary to be used again other than a deterrent to Treasure Seekers.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Turkish Copper wreck article contradicts itself in the first paragraph. "95.5% pure and not the result of smelting". But the next sentence states the ingots contain slag and inclusions from melting and casting. That is the definition of smelting.

Still has nothing to do with Oak Island.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I really get tired of all the remarks about alternative crap and making fun of others research...
Almost all the alleged "research" concerning a Templar voyage to Oak Island/Annapolis Basin/ Nova Scotia originate from the pulp pseudohistory books of quasi-historian charlatans, AND that is not real research that is acknowledged or verified by the professional academic community, who most likely get tired of, to what you refer as, "alternative crap".

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful world isn't it?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I have found seven cache locations myself. Get us some "investors" and we will go check them out ourselves.
It will be checked out by the Lagina brothers eventually. Also they are going to find Sir Henry Sinclair's ship, the Saint Katherine that was blown up on Oak Island in 1398 whether they find her treasures or not.
I wish I were up there. I could locate these treasures quite easily and have them dig them up to show all the World the Knight's Templar were over here long before CC.
You had mentioned that you contacted Rick about these treasure sites.
Did he ever respond back ?

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Almost all the alleged "research" concerning a Templar voyage to Oak Island/Annapolis Basin/ Nova Scotia originate from the pulp pseudohistory books of quasi-historian charlatans,

"Almost all"...! interesting, where did the rest come from?

Cheers, Loki

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What doesn't come from "the pulp pseudohistory books of quasi-historian charlatans," is made up on the spot.

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coconut coir in quantity used as dunnage material that dates to any time in the previous one thousand years is perfectly consistent with it being put there in 1850s if the sampled material is degraded and badly contaminated by the marine environment.

I don't quite understand why there must be a natural explanation for why a story is written the way it is written or given. Next time they interview a geologist they should ask them if a writer is limited to what is later explainable by natural phenomena. It's about as foolish as bashing your head trying to come up with a natural explanation for a reported UFO sighting that occurred in Close Encounters of the third Kind, a fiction. There doesn't necessarily need to be a natural explanation. Nature does end up explaining why all later holes dug there have filled with water, though. That doesn't prove there ever was an original money pit. If any of you think that the MP is a given then guess again. There is no documented evidence there ever was one. The search for it is what you tune into watch. We do however have documented evidence of a story written that suggests a hole like that ought not to be dug for the wrong reasons. Like the pig headed fools they were, some went ahead and dug anyway guided by their imaginations.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coconut coir in quantity used as dunnage material that dates to any time in the previous one thousand years is perfectly consistent with it being put there in 1850s if the sampled material is degraded and badly contaminated by the marine environment.

Bunk!

Cheers, Loki

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Claiming the Templars made a voyage to Oak Island/Annapolis Basin, Nova Scotia based on found degraded coconut coir fibres is the real bunk!

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Claiming the Templars made a voyage to Oak Island/Annapolis Basin, Nova Scotia based on found degraded coconut coir fibres is the real bunk!

As long as were throwing the word around, claiming a voyage to Nova Scotia in the early 14th century by a noted and well established seafaring organization was "impossible", is also "Bunk"!

Remember, that this is the same group that was responsible for all the famed Portuguese seagoing explorations with even Prince Henry the Navigator as a later member.

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The Order of the Knights Templar as an "established seafaring organization" ! :laughing7:
Did you get that false "fact" from the self proclaimed "real" Indiana Jones and pulp quasihistorian author of the pseudohistory, "PIRATES AND THE LOST FLEET OF THE TEMPLARS", David Hatcher Childress?
Like Diana Jean Muir with her "found" "THE LOST TEMPLAR JOURNALS OF PRINCE HENRY SINCLAIR", Childress includes Henry Sinclair as an intrepid seafaring adventuring as well as the Templars and early Scottish Freemasons, with fill in information "borrowed" from other pulp alternative history writers, including Zena Halpern.
The Templars were divided in two classes, the warrior knights of the noble class who wore the red cross on white tunic and the sergeant workers of the commoner class, who wore black monks robes.
These sergeants took care of all the day to day labor activities of the Templars, from cleaning the stables to cooking, to handling the La Rochelle warehouses, port, and merchant ship activity.
The alleged Templar "fleet" was composed of galleys and short range merchant vessels, some owned by the Templar order, others hired on a need basis.
The captain and crew of these vessels were NOT warrior Templar Knights, but hirelings who were overseen by the non seafaring black robe Templar sergeants.
If a Templar voyage to Oak Island/Annapolis Basin, Nova Scotia ever happened, it would have been on a merchant vessel manned by a hired captain and crew.

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The alleged Templar "fleet" was composed of galleys and short range merchant vessels, some owned by the Templar order,

Just out of curiosity, what is a "short range merchant vessel"? How far could one go and how large were they? Did they have this type of vessel in the Atlantic and the Mediterranean?

How is the fleet "alleged" if they did indeed have a fleet? Does your acknowledgement of a fleet mean a win for me in an earlier argument?

The Templar historian Charles Addison claims they had, galleys, galliots, and other vessels in the order on pg.156 of his "History of the Knights Templar. What type of ship do you suppose a "galliot or other vessel would be?

Would these, short range merchant vessels, be part of the fleet mentioned by Templar historian, Evelyn Lord, in this statement
"Their main fleet was in La Rochelle, and it was this fleet, berthed away from the theatre of war, that was part of the maritime network linking the order in the British Isles, with the continent"?

If this was the main fleet at La Rochelle, does that indicate they had more than one fleet? Perhaps a Mediterranean fleet and an Atlantic fleet?

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread