Oak Island: Was something even there.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edited to delete a portion I had written wrongly assuming she was also talking about the Smith's Cove works, after reading some of her interviews and portions of other articles just now, I found nothing about Smith's Cove other than the tar box being found there. So I wanted to correct that mistake on my part, but not hide that I had made it. Her theory and contention is based on the Money Pit being a tar kiln....will see what else is said when I get the book in hand.

I also have J. Steele's book on the way, from an intra library loan that will take a few extra days because it is coming from NS....That I had no idea was even done country to country....

I have looked at her theory before, debated it with her via another forum (if you can call debating her calling you every name in the book for questioning anything, which I had been warned was how she handled any doubts of her theory at all..lol) So will read it with an open mind, to see if it really seems to be a valid idea to me...

One thing that does bother me already though, is that her main evidence, what she refers to as 'proof positive'...is the finding of the wooden box when the cove was dug as a 'tar box' and it laying there proves her theory...much like the railroad spike being found in the swamp proves a ship was there. The 'tar box' as she describes it also is missing one feature she claims a tar box would have to have to function as she says, and which when pointed out by me in our 'debate' according to her picture of the box, it didn't...she admitted "Is a troubling problem, but i'm still right"

I am interested to see if her writings can convert me to a believer, as our conversation did not...

Anyone else that has read the book, or talked to Steele directly, I hope will join in to try and hash it all out....

Last edited:

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edited to delete a portion I had written wrongly assuming she was also talking about the Smith's Cove works, after reading some of her interviews and portions of other articles just now, I found nothing about Smith's Cove other than the tar box being found there. So I wanted to correct that mistake on my part, but not hide that I had made it. Her theory and contention is based on the Money Pit being a tar kiln....will see what else is said when I get the book in hand.

Hey Roadhouse, I remembered reading something on this blog about a Wharf or Pine Tar Kiln.
Found it, and realized several comments were from "Joy" herself.
The Blog was about "Smith's Cove" so I don't think she was talking of the "Money Pit".

joy steele

2/26/2016 07:56:17 pm

John, I can answer your question. The structure was angled because it is the shoring up around a pine tar kiln for making naval stores. I have photographic evidence in which you will see that the an identical structure. Contact me and I will be happy to provide you this evidence and I say this without any doubt in my mind. The ramp was nearby because they rolled the finished barrels of pine tar right onto the boat. I can show that too

The Blockhouse Blog - The Oak Island Compendium

Your Bud Aurum

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bud...

I thought I had remembered it right, yep Smith's Cove, nothing about the finger drains though that are also there... but in this I believe she is talking about the U shaped structure, which I am 99.999% sure is really a portion of roof system from not only the general photos shown, but from some others that have been sent to me not in general circulation, and which I have no permissions to share...So everyone will have to make up their own mind..If you will read all of the comments in the Blockhouse Blog you linked too, (there are many), I am Glen in this discussion, and we finally agreed to tentatively agree that the U shaped logs were a roof section...and this is what we have been in further discussion of via email...which so far has not been proven to be anything else but a roof..

If you do a Google search on her you will find interviews and articles where she says the Money Pit is the kiln...because of the reported depression in the ground and wood beneath....

Either one she does not address the finger drains, unless it is in the book...we'll see

Thanks again...thought I was getting senile..LOL

Last edited:

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bud...

I thought I had remembered it right, yep Smith's Cove, nothing about the finger drains though that are also there... but in this I believe she is talking about the U shaped structure, which I am 99.999% sure is really a portion of roof system from not only the general photos shown, but from some others that have been sent to me not in general circulation, and which I have no permissions to share...So everyone will have to make up their own mind..If you will read all of the comments in the Blockhouse Blog you linked too, (there are many), I am Glen in this discussion, and we finally agreed to tentatively agree that the U shaped logs were a roof section...and this is what we have been in further discussion of via email...which so far has not been proven to be anything else but a roof..

If you do a Google search on her you will find interviews and articles where she says the Money Pit is the kiln...because of the reported depression in the ground and wood beneath....

Either one she does not address the finger drains, unless it is in the book...we'll see

Thanks again...thought I was getting senile..LOL

Good read, sounds like a roof. Has any more testing been done on the wood?

Your Bud Aurum

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bud...

Yes, with a more accurate method, though I don't have that information yet, and may not until the final report is written and placed on the Blockhouse site...

Dating done in 1970 shows that the wood structure covers the timeline of 1753 when I believe it was part of a fishing station (workstation, warehouse, etc)...but in full disclosure, there was another dating done in 1969 by a different company that shows pre 1000 dates, this company's dating on other materials (including the coconut fibre) also consistently shows a pre 1000ce timeline...as early as the 700ce plus/minus 150 years...so new testing is needed to accept any of the dates really.

Thanks...

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bud...

Yes, with a more accurate method, though I don't have that information yet, and may not until the final report is written and placed on the Blockhouse site...

Dating done in 1970 shows that the wood structure covers the timeline of 1753 when I believe it was part of a fishing station (workstation, warehouse, etc)...but in full disclosure, there was another dating done in 1969 by a different company that shows pre 1000 dates, this company's dating on other materials (including the coconut fibre) also consistently shows a pre 1000ce timeline...as early as the 700ce plus/minus 150 years...so new testing is needed to accept any of the dates really.

Thanks...

Never seen a 700ce date on the coconut fibre. I thought I knew all of them, who did that one?
Cheers, Loki

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF, ( and a big IF ) the fingers drains were found the way they always have them drawn how could it have been a type of roof draining system? Spaced apart like that, what was happening in between them, and on all the other sides of the building? Was the building octagon shaped" Drainage on just 1 side like a lean-too or something?

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry ...not intelligent enough to engage in a conversation with you...But if I was, I might reply with this...

It is on a PDF of all datings done of Oak Island artifacts and compiled by one of the noted researchers in this matter...sent to me to take a look at quite some time back, but that I have no permissions to pass on. May be in the public venue by now...so the above is your hint to search for it with..

Luckily, in my befuddled state, I was still able to find it in my emails...which also by the way, confirms Woods Hole Institute DID do the dating via their AMS Ocean Sciences division, which you have previously said WHOI did NOT do the dating.

The fibre given to them by Dan B, did date to a range of 1150 to 1220...1185 being the averaged date...no information on where it was recovered from

The fibre given to them by Dan Henskee from Smith's Cove in the presence of WHOI in 1995 ranged from 780 to 840 with 810 being the targeted date.

That's all of a conversation I will engage in...take it as you will, cherry pick the date you want.

Over and out...

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n2 mini...

The finger drains have nothing to do with the roof...they were installed for a specific purpose, which as you know, I believe would be related to the fishing company that owned the island in 1753.

The roof could be a part of that fishing industry too as a fishing station on a wharf or pier, since then taken out by storms with all these other sections being washed out to sea before they silted in as this wood has. The roof could also be part of the other work being done over the years on the island, once again, being destroyed by a storm...proper dating will help with that answer.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad, I thought people were saying what is known as the finger drains were actually part of some roof from a building that had collapsed..

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry ...not intelligent enough to engage in a conversation with you...But if I was, I might reply with this...

It is on a PDF of all datings done of Oak Island artifacts and compiled by one of the noted researchers in this matter...sent to me to take a look at quite some time back, but that I have no permissions to pass on. May be in the public venue by now...so the above is your hint to search for it with..

Luckily, in my befuddled state, I was still able to find it in my emails...which also by the way, confirms Woods Hole Institute DID do the dating via their AMS Ocean Sciences division, which you have previously said WHOI did NOT do the dating.

The fibre given to them by Dan B, did date to a range of 1150 to 1220...1185 being the averaged date...no information on where it was recovered from

The fibre given to them by Dan Henskee from Smith's Cove in the presence of WHOI in 1995 ranged from 780 to 840 with 810 being the targeted date.

That's all of a conversation I will engage in...take it as you will, cherry pick the date you want.

Over and out...

Don't know who your source is, but Woods Hole sent the material out to Beta Analytic for the dating, and the high range was 1298ad. Where it was recovered from was reported by Woods Hole although the sample came from the museum. I published the actual report earlier!
Oh, and a friend who lives in Nova Scotia has been finding interesting stuff on his property. According to a person he had look at it that he considers an expert, it is a Templar gravesite. I cannot give a name or location but the location fits.
Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it not even occur to you that the museum sample may be different than the samples that Woods Hole reports as Dan B and Henskee giving them? That those samples were dated in their own AMS lab? Yes, I also have that museum sample listed on this PDF...not the same as these others. You asked about the 700's ce dating, I gave you the info, doesn't fit what you want it too, so you want to discredit or ignore it...Fine

But...enough of this..YOU go with whatever story fits your Templar fairy tale best...

I am done with your BS...

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does it not even occur to you that the museum sample may be different than the samples that Woods Hole reports as Dan B and Henskee giving them? That those samples were dated in their own AMS lab? Yes, I also have that museum sample listed on this PDF...not the same as these others. You asked about the 700's ce dating, I gave you the info, doesn't fit what you want it too, so you want to discredit or ignore it...Fine

But...enough of this..YOU go with whatever story fits your Templar fairy tale best...

I am done with your BS...

I have just never heard of the 700 dating, and I thought I had read about them all. It would be interesting to see the report is all.
Cheers, Loki

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I am also a wanna be treasure hunter and like many others, heard this story when I was a kid, (now 48). want to rant a bit.

I heard a lot of people spent millions trying to find the lost grail and I really hope it's there, but the way this CURSE OF OAK ISLAND TV show presents itself, IMO, just gives it a sour taste for me. It seems the show gets you going in one direction and they change so fast into another lead... it just doesn't seem natural to me. Why spend 20 minutes looking at a Rock? The way the guy who had the metal detector make that guy who was part of the pre-show dig that hole, just made himself look like an idiot and it really gives us metal detectorist who respect the ground we dig, look bad and I can see why we all get kicked out of places. The guy ended up digging a crater for a small piece of a nail. He didn't even impress us all with telling us how deep he would find it. 10 year old kids with detectors could do better.

Then they bring in a pro and find a few coins from the 1700's and wow! (joke, not impressed, I find those in my own small town here in MASSACHUSETTS) Anyways the guys says, "THAT's a game changer!". Huh? A coin from the 1700's. If anything, this would be a disappointment no? That's a far cry from THE KNIGHTS TEMPLAR TREASURE they were just talking about in a show or two previous. That map that was found in the back of a book that was given to that lady?

CRAZY!!!! I believe if there is treasure there, there is no way these people are going to find it. I don't like how they are "using" that old guy either. Sad if you ask me. I have begun to think this is a show about failure. How to fail. Think of all the people who are lied/tricked into watching each week. ME TOO because I was really hoping because it's in our nature to want to find something lost for so long. I should make a TV show on detecting my beach and telling people what ship went down here and there and can probably get people to watch because I wouldn't print a show unless I found something. What have they found? Nothing really.

Do I believe there is treasure there? Could be. But these aren't the guys to find it. Am I supposed to be impressed with all those big machines? They should have paid that PRO detector guy from day one to search the island, and mark what and where he found it and I think he would come up with a lot of leads. No one puts digs a treasure hole this elaborate without leaving evidence they were there. And I don't mean one coin or a piece of wood out of a 200 year old hole. I mean a lot of other artifacts.

I could go on for hours but I don't want to waste your time.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I don't like how they are "using" that old guy either."

If you are talking about Dan B....just so you know they paid him $7 million for half the rights to dig on Oak Island...I think he still owns 51% of the Triton company and the others own 49%, but it may be a 50/50 split between him and the other 3. So not to bad a way to be used...lol

The impossible part of finding anything on the surface is the island has been tossed so many times since the 1800's, nearly all of it dug up at one time or another and very few relics of any kind left. That includes the Money Pit area, swamp and Smith's Cove...and then done just as they have done this season, push in new pads of dirt.

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know that! 7 MILLION!$ Heck, that would make me happy. Are you sure he's got the cash and they didn't talk him out of it to look for the treasure? Personally, after searching in that hole for so long, I wouldn't hang around the island, I'd be traveling the world looking for other treasure! lol The old man seems genuine to me but the others seem like they know they aren't going to find anything and if they do... then that's a bonus. I think the show much hit a lot of people who have tried something and failed and it makes someone who failed, feel good, to see someone else fail. It's therapy for failure. But they need to act better, because anyone who has a good sense can see they say stupid things or re-enact. For example when they found "the trap" sorry HATCH map and the other guy reminded D.B. Jr he had a hole similar on his property. DB JR should have said right away at that meeting in the BS room, "Hey! I know where that hole is!!!"

I caught a few episodes of that island on the discovery channel and at first I didn't think they were serious but then they did find some pretty cool finds.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know they gave Dan 7 mill. Hell I would be down in Jamaica with a drink in my hands and do video conferences with them to see what they have not found this week. He is 90 or so... maybe he just likes it there.

The whole island should have been scanned and mapped out and then you would know what and where to look.
Fred Nolan had a really nice map of the island. I would like to see some of what he has done over the years. Looks like Dan focused mainly on 10x his whole time there.

Not sure if we have any Lost fans here but when I heard "Hatch" I got chills and had wild thoughts like when they saw the Blast door map... yea, wishful thinking I guess.
Now lets nuke this place and find that Templar treasure! :headbang:

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki can you give us anymore info on this gravesite. Is it near New Ross, what makes you think its a Templar grave or better yet a photo or two.

Thanks

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki can you give us anymore info on this gravesite. Is it near New Ross, what makes you think its a Templar grave or better yet a photo or two.

Thanks

No I can't. Although I can mention that it is nowhere near New Ross (Charing Cross) or Oak Island. Except for a photo, I havn't even seen it yet, and it is on a friends property of whom I can't give a name or location. All I can say is that it is where could be expected and a person he dubbed an expert is sure thats what it is. I don't have any problem accepting it as such, but then again I'm the person who is sure Templars were in Nova Scotia.
So, what I am saying, is that we have no proof, I just thought I would mention it for those that love mysteries.
Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki I respect your silence on this. So you've seen a photo of the grave site and I can assume that the grave has a marker of some type that would distinguish it as a Templar grave? There's no doubt that if the Templars came to Acadia that they would have died here and no doubt left some sort of formal grave marking. I'm just trying to visualize what a Templar grave would look like.

For discussion sake I'm going to say that the Templars amongst others came to Acadia before 1492. Your research tells you that they had a settlement in New Ross of some type? I'm wondering why it is that they would have picked New Ross? The logistics would have been difficult. It would have been the little ice age with extreme winters in the interior.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread