CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , T Net diggers , Late October is a great time to search , especially when the ground is soaked and the temps are still in the seventies . Colonial ghosts from days gone by haunt these old sites , an eerie laughter and shadows are in these woods today . I sense evil as I unpack my gear :evil6: Just so happens , I ain't 'fraid of no ghost ... I want their lost coins . :tongue3: I went to the old 1700's home site . This was the site that had been pounded by a few of the seasoned TH ,ers and it was obvious , just a few buttons after an hour. I dug this harmonica reed out of an old root in the ground , took the whole piece because of it's coolness 8) 8) Finds were far and in between :-\ I called ol John who is familiar with this site and he advised me to cross the road directly in front of this place . Within minutes I was on the right track as the pics show . The large cent has a bust facing left and is smooth ,quite certain it is early US . Actually turns out to be 1817 Matron head large cent. Soaked the copper finds a minute in hot peroxide . . The half cent turned out to be an 1805 ,small 5 . I checked this coin at the PCGS website and saw that 81,000 + were minted , estimated 125 survivors and a variety with stems existed but were very rare { 16 in the graded population }. :o Before I cleaned the , crusty thin dirt layered shell, off the back I chipped a piece near the one over a two hundred fraction and spotted the stem . What a great feeling and a chance to get some hunting in without all the high heat , and tall weeds covered in blood sucking parasites and venomous spiders :P . Also found some flat buttons , assortment of wheaties and two indians . UPDATE; 10-29-10 bathed the half cent ... see new pictures , definitely , STEMS !! This Tuesday, I will get a pro verification but it seems right :hello2: Opinions wanted . Thanks for stopping in and Best late October " Halloween Hunting " to All :thumbsup: d aWg

Attachments

• oct 26 site.jpg
    oct 26 site.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 1,187
  • oct 26 site.jpg
    oct 26 site.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 1,180
  • halfcent.jpg
    halfcent.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 1805 halfcent small 5 stems 1.jpg
    1805 halfcent small 5 stems 1.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 1805-12.jpg
    1805-12.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,171
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,161
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,166
  • autumn2.jpg
    autumn2.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 1,157
  • large cent.jpg
    large cent.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,159
  • lc  mystery.jpg
    lc mystery.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,160
  • rev 1805 stems.jpg
    rev 1805 stems.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 401
  • 1805 clean.jpg
    1805 clean.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Re: October digs in Spookyville , USA

CMDiamonddawg said:
umrgolf2010 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
umrgolf2010 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
umrgolf2010 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
umrgolf2010 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
cheffer said:
Nice digs, and nice pics. Love them coppers!

Steve
Recently cleaned up the 1805 ..feel certain it is a key small 5 , stem variety . 16 in graded population . Thanks for your comment Steve
breakin my stones :laughing9: little half sister coppers never get respect :laughing7:

new pics please ;D :headbang:
This is the best graded example . Last two pics are the new ones ..best I could do ...I'll try again :tongue3:

I see the small 5 on the new pics, stem is hard to see
::)

:laughing9: I see it, I see it ;D
killin' me little half sister coppers are never worthy of respect and I am using a tripod from now on ::) my blurry close ups :icon_scratch: Tigers / Cornhuskers :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :laughing9:

:laughing9: :laughing9:
:laughing7:

what copper? :laughing9: GO MIZZOUUUUUUUU :headbang:

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible finds. Thanks for the photos

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I just got to say again that is one beautiful half cent!!! Definitely Banner Worthy!! I'd like to see it up there personally!

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Man, I just got to say again that is one beautiful half cent!!! Definitely Banner Worthy!! I'd like to see it up there personally!
Never happen but Thanks Josh ... I still feel lucky , maybe a Liberty Cap tomorrow :icon_pirat:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two 1805 varieties with small 5 and stems

I think hearing a scream in the woods while bow hunting as dusk approaches in October, all I can ever think of is the"Jersey Devil" :o

OK, now to your Half Cent, I wish I could say it is the Very Rare Cohen 2 variety, but it seems more likely it is the Very Scarce variety Cohen 3. Both varieties share the same Obverse side, so the only way to tell the difference is by what is on the Reverse. Well, they both have stems, so that don't help determine, that just means it is either a Cohen 2 or Cohen 3. So what to look for next is IF you can see the letter T in CENT, if the right foot of T is not covered by the leaf, than it is a Very Rare Cohen 2, and if the berry next to the letter T in CENT is low & further away compared to the other 1805 Reverses then it is a Cohen 2. But, if the T right foot is covered by the leaf, it is a Cohen 3.

What I see on your Obverse that leads me to think it is the Cohen 3 Very Scarce variety is a bulge in front of the face, I believe that is present on all Cohen 3s.

Since I can't seen the words CENT I cannot tell for sure, but it sure does look like a bulge on the Obverse, very similar to the attached PCGS sample.

https://www.scoins.com/ViewLot.aspx?LotId=20981 (you can select "previous" to see the Cohen 2 example and compare)

Sure would be nice if it was a Cohen 2, but be prepared if you get an "expert" to look at it for him to possibly say it is a Cohen 3 instead.

Don

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Two 1805 varieties with small 5 and stems

Don in SJ said:
I think hearing a scream in the woods while bow hunting as dusk approaches in October, all I can ever think of is the"Jersey Devil" :o

OK, now to your Half Cent, I wish I could say it is the Very Rare Cohen 2 variety, but it seems more likely it is the Very Scarce variety Cohen 3. Both varieties share the same Obverse side, so the only way to tell the difference is by what is on the Reverse. Well, they both have stems, so that don't help determine, that just means it is either a Cohen 2 or Cohen 3. So what to look for next is IF you can see the letter T in CENT, if the right foot of T is not covered by the leaf, than it is a Very Rare Cohen 2, and if the berry next to the letter T in CENT is low & further away compared to the other 1805 Reverses then it is a Cohen 2. But, if the T right foot is covered by the leaf, it is a Cohen 3.

What I see on your Obverse that leads me to think it is the Cohen 3 Very Scarce variety is a bulge in front of the face, I believe that is present on all Cohen 3s.

Since I can't seen the words CENT I cannot tell for sure, but it sure does look like a bulge on the Obverse, very similar to the attached PCGS sample.

https://www.scoins.com/ViewLot.aspx?LotId=20981 (you can select "previous" to see the Cohen 2 example and compare)

Sure would be nice if it was a Cohen 2, but be prepared if you get an "expert" to look at it for him to possibly say it is a Cohen 3 instead.

Don
Thanks for the link Don , excellent explanation of differences ,as always . I used a loop and a magnifying glass the TOP of the letter letter T is visible , the foot to the right is too worn to see if the leaf covers it ... the berry, is lower, than the attached C3 ...what PCGS is calling the grotesque bulge on obverse seems to be the same as the previous C2 obverse and the C3 , bulge is readily seen and exists on this half cent . . Considering it was buried for maybe two centuries this one held up great .. I'll say C2 . Either one is a once in a lifetime find. Thank you , d aWg

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dawg, if you say it has the bulge than it is a no doubt about it a C3, you misread the C2, the description is for Lot 176 the C3. C2 does not have the bulge. This statement is rather convincing:

[i]"A grotesque die bulge in front of the face can't be mistaken for anything other than C-3", [/i]

As far as the berry looking lower, yes they all are lower but the C2 on is slightly further and furhter away, hard to say on that one without good condition. I have a C1 and C4 in very good condition, the C1 was easy to ID, since it had no stems, but the C4, I struggled awhile back, since had trouble with determining for sure the large 5 or not till I cleaned that area a tad better, I was not sure if I had a C3 or C4 but ended up being a C4.

I looked through Heritage Auction archives, quite a few C-3s but C-2 was almost nil, and the one I saw was in great shape and you could buy a car with it.

Don

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Dawg, if you say it has the bulge than it is a no doubt about it a C3, you misread the C2, the description is for Lot 176 the C3. C2 does not have the bulge. This statement is rather convincing:

[i]"A grotesque die bulge in front of the face can't be mistaken for anything other than C-3", [/i]

As far as the berry looking lower, yes they all are lower but the C2 on is slightly further and furhter away, hard to say on that one without good condition. I have a C1 and C4 in very good condition, the C1 was easy to ID, since it had no stems, but the C4, I struggled awhile back, since had trouble with determining for sure the large 5 or not till I cleaned that area a tad better, I was not sure if I had a C3 or C4 but ended up being a C4.

I looked through Heritage Auction archives, quite a few C-3s but C-2 was almost nil, and the one I saw was in great shape and you could buy a car with it.

Don
:icon_scratch: I' ll take another look .. more than likely correct . Definite "grotesque bulge ":laughing7: My example picture must also be a C3 . There is the same "grotesque bulge" ,on that one . I thought I leaped into rarity with stems :-\ still I am very lucky to get any half cents , a very scarce one works for me . It is still an 1805 small 5 with stems , that alone makes this Halloween even more frightening and " grotesque" ..I like that word esp. on Halloween . Thanks Don Beware; the Jersey Devil is still out there late October . :o d aWg

wvrick

Sep 27, 2010
Salt Rock,WV
Detector(s) used
Manticore, XP Deus, CTX 3030, E-Trac, Whites V3i, DFX, Fisher CoinStrike, Garrett AT-Pro, Explorer XS, Garrett GTI-2500 Pro, Fisher F2, and Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3 (Hip mt), Fisher CZ7a-Pro
Really Nice Find!!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanted to say that's a really nice bunch of finds!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions