✅ SOLVED Odd Thingy Found in old Road Tear out Coin/Token or Nothing?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All,

I normally wouldnt post something like this, When I found it, I figured it was some old slug or metal punch out. The only weird thing is, it was in a road tearout that was about 100 years old.

I think the newest coin I dug out of he road was a 1914 wheat, the rest were IH's and barbers. So it makes me think what ever it is , has to be fairly old.

Anyway, I found this yesterday, and started to clean it last night, after noticing there was no real detail I didnt think much.

but then something caught my eye from a distance. I could see a very faint "XV" on one part of it.

the picture is crap, I can see it clear as day when its in my hand, but couldnt get that sweet spot pic of what Im talking about.

I dont know what its made on, I do know its NOT Lead, silver, Brass/Copper, or Iron...its not magnectic, and seems to be a little heavier then I would expect.

Its just Barely under the size of a Quarter.

Like I said, i figured it was junk and it could be...But I know the XV are definitely on there, When i look up close with a jewelers loop, it has that same "V" style that the V-Nickle has.

Anyway...dont beat me up too bad...lol

The Other side, i didnt really see any detail on it...But I also provided a far away pic that shows it how i saw it when it "Caught my Eye"

thanks!

Attachments

• Thingy 1.jpg
    Thingy 1.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 244
  • Thingy 2.jpg
    Thingy 2.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 214
  • thingy far away.jpg
    thingy far away.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 160
  • Thingy next to 25c.jpg
    Thingy next to 25c.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 151

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How thick is yours? these are musket balls maybe yours is a fired musket ball that's flattened out against something.
Does it read like lead on your machine?
Since you say you're sure there is at least a Roman numeral on it then to me it's almost certainly a bale or sack seal made of lead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well apparently he sure its not brass.. copper ..silver ..iron.. Which I totally agree with what's left pot metal?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, So last night I dug out of my truck an old bale seal to show you the difference in weight.

I weight the small bale seal and it was right at 6.5grams...So then I weighed the thing I found in the road and it weighed, 6.4 grams.

I thought that was a little odd that they were almost the same in weight, So after i saw that, i grabbed the mystery item and tried to bend it....Which it did bend in Ease.

So , I guess I was wrong, it has to be lead. Ive just never seen lead that was that correded and wouldnt clean up..I even tried a scratch test earlier on and it wouldnt go thru very easy...

So Gatorboy.....this video is for you :)

thanks for the help guys, I feel like an idoit that i couldn't identify the right metal . I guess being in the road did some bad shiii to it

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing bad on you the only reason I knew right off hand was because I've recovered a lot of stuff from salt water it has the same effect.
I love Happy Gilmore

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread