✅ SOLVED Odd Thingy Found in old Road Tear out Coin/Token or Nothing?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All,

I normally wouldnt post something like this, When I found it, I figured it was some old slug or metal punch out. The only weird thing is, it was in a road tearout that was about 100 years old.

I think the newest coin I dug out of he road was a 1914 wheat, the rest were IH's and barbers. So it makes me think what ever it is , has to be fairly old.

Anyway, I found this yesterday, and started to clean it last night, after noticing there was no real detail I didnt think much.

but then something caught my eye from a distance. I could see a very faint "XV" on one part of it.

the picture is crap, I can see it clear as day when its in my hand, but couldnt get that sweet spot pic of what Im talking about.

I dont know what its made on, I do know its NOT Lead, silver, Brass/Copper, or Iron...its not magnectic, and seems to be a little heavier then I would expect.

Its just Barely under the size of a Quarter.

Like I said, i figured it was junk and it could be...But I know the XV are definitely on there, When i look up close with a jewelers loop, it has that same "V" style that the V-Nickle has.

Anyway...dont beat me up too bad...lol

The Other side, i didnt really see any detail on it...But I also provided a far away pic that shows it how i saw it when it "Caught my Eye"

thanks!

Attachments

• Thingy 1.jpg
    Thingy 1.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 243
  • Thingy 2.jpg
    Thingy 2.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 213
  • thingy far away.jpg
    thingy far away.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 159
  • Thingy next to 25c.jpg
    Thingy next to 25c.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 150

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the XV but no telling if someone scratched that in themselves. Can't think of a coin that would have a tiny XV about where yours is. Hopefully more can be done to bring out some more design/lettering but at the moment, I think button or some kind of trade token are the top possibilities.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im glad someone see's it..lol....As for it being scratched, that area is actually Raised...I too couldnt find any coin that has that marking on it.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like an XY to me but :dontknow:. You may have to do some more cleaning to see more detail.

Upvote 0

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All,

I normally wouldnt post something like this, When I found it, I figured it was some old slug or metal punch out. The only weird thing is, it was in a road tearout that was about 100 years old.

I think the newest coin I dug out of he road was a 1914 wheat, the rest were IH's and barbers. So it makes me think what ever it is , has to be fairly old.

Anyway, I found this yesterday, and started to clean it last night, after noticing there was no real detail I didnt think much.

but then something caught my eye from a distance. I could see a very faint "XV" on one part of it.

the picture is crap, I can see it clear as day when its in my hand, but couldnt get that sweet spot pic of what Im talking about.

I dont know what its made on, I do know its NOT Lead, silver, Brass/Copper, or Iron...its not magnectic, and seems to be a little heavier then I would expect.

Its just Barely under the size of a Quarter.

Like I said, i figured it was junk and it could be...But I know the XV are definitely on there, When i look up close with a jewelers loop, it has that same "V" style that the V-Nickle has.

Anyway...dont beat me up too bad...lol

The Other side, i didnt really see any detail on it...But I also provided a far away pic that shows it how i saw it when it "Caught my Eye"

thanks!

I do see reeding on the edge of one of the pictures

Upvote 0

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be a coin or token, I have found heavily encrusted coins at road construction sites, usually have to use a heavy brass brush to get down to detail or electrolysis. The worst are under brick streets where horse dung and urine encase it, good luck

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Probably my imagination, but I can't help but see it as a bust (head) of someone looking to the right, with the letters you mention being some sort of hair adornment. Then on the reverse I can picture a horse and rider, going to the left. But, it may be like the objects we can see when looking at clouds... so it's possible no one else would see it that way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like an XY to me but :dontknow:. You may have to do some more cleaning to see more detail.

Yea, I was thinking that too.. I just have no idea what to even reference it to anything..Im going to do some light cleaning on it to see if I can make out anything else

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably my imagination, but I can't help but see it as a bust (head) of someone looking to the right, with the letters you mention being some sort of hair adornment. Then on the reverse I can picture a horse and rider, going to the left. But, it may be like the objects we can see when looking at clouds... so it's possible no one else would see it that way.

Its funny you say that..My first thought was a horse on the back too...But i wasnt sure if my eyes were making shiii up

Upvote 0

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sawmill tokens were bi-metal and the inner metal was aluminium and is corroded away and only the brass outer ring is left

Upvote 0

Sharpshovel

Sep 11, 2014
Some sawmill tokens were bi-metal and the inner metal was aluminium and is corroded away and only the brass outer ring is left
right, on mine it's as if the middle is like a Pringles chip and the ring is like solid copper

So if the middle doesn't crumble out (doesn't look like it) then my guess of lumber toke is out

Attachments

• image-2744921491.jpg
    image-2744921491.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead..... Bale....Seal

main-1.jpg
The" XV " =15...probably describes how many feet of cloth or other material it helped hold together.

Upvote 0

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the old road was pretty hard on it, but I see a image of most likely a horse or possibly a fox or dog. it reminds me of a old Tally ho or Tallio fox hunting button.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a really corroded bale seal to me

Did they make Bale Seals out of any other material? because this for sure isnt lead, nor is it Brass, Copper, silver, Aluminum.

Im not disagreeing with ya, I have found a few bale seals before, but the ones i found were small and lead

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread