Oh NO, I am getting cut off from ordering halves!!

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never dealt with the vault teller from this branch around home, I asked the manager teller to order for me before but shes never available now. (ordered 3 times, 4 boxes each)

Anyways, the vault teller told me the source (Garda, loomis, etc) is asking questions about the quantity of halves ordered, and she could try to order 1 or 2 boxes for me.

Does it sound like she doesnt want to order for me (she benefits nothing as I never gave her treats, I did give the manager teller half dozen donuts but she shuns me off by saying dont do it next time, its courtesy to order for me) or does the source really bug the bank for ordering? I did offer to bring her candies next time and her voice lightened with laughters.....hmmmmmm

The other branch around home charges $7.5 per box. :(

The branch around work has no issue getting me halves.

What do you think? Should I give up on the branch around home and just focus on work or should I sugar the vault teller up and hope for the best?

Upvote 0

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I think that unless you are dumping all the halves with the same bank, or even a different branch of the same bank they have no reason to have any issues with it. I guess if its a small town situation, I could maybe even see them (the coin processor) having a problem with the quantity ordered even if you arent dumping with the same bank, but a different bank alltogether that just so happens to use the same processing company.

In big city's every bank has its own vault, or source of coins that are not intermingled with other branches, or banks coins at the processor. I know that in my mid city processor, banks do not have their own coin, it all goes into the same hopper. So maybe they are getting annoyed because they are sorting, rolling, transporting etc... to your pick up bank, and then transporting, sorting, rolling etc, after they pick them up from your dump bank.

Another possibility is that it has nothing to do with your coin carrier... It might just be the bank who is getting sick of ordering/dealing with all those halves, I know that most of them consider it a pain in their azz... Unless you are a special customer for them or something.

Either way, there is only one thing you can do, and try to figure out exactly where the hesitation is coming from, and go from there. This hobby is all about what you are willing to put in and how much you wanna sacrifice... With that said, there are definately plenty of obstacles that are out of your control. So we just do what we can, and enjoy what do....

good luck.

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRockDoc said:
I think that unless you are dumping all the halves with the same bank, or even a different branch of the same bank they have no reason to have any issues with it. I guess if its a small town situation, I could maybe even see them (the coin processor) having a problem with the quantity ordered even if you arent dumping with the same bank, but a different bank alltogether that just so happens to use the same processing company.

In big city's every bank has its own vault, or source of coins that are not intermingled with other branches, or banks coins at the processor. I know that in my mid city processor, banks do not have their own coin, it all goes into the same hopper. So maybe they are getting annoyed because they are sorting, rolling, transporting etc... to your pick up bank, and then transporting, sorting, rolling etc, after they pick them up from your dump bank.

Another possibility is that it has nothing to do with your coin carrier... It might just be the bank who is getting sick of ordering/dealing with all those halves, I know that most of them consider it a pain in their azz... Unless you are a special customer for them or something.

Either way, there is only one thing you can do, and try to figure out exactly where the hesitation is coming from, and go from there. This hobby is all about what you are willing to put in and how much you wanna sacrifice... With that said, there are definately plenty of obstacles that are out of your control. So we just do what we can, and enjoy what do....

good luck.

I live in one of the bigger town in US of A, and I never pick/drop from the same bank name.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
I live in a medium size town in Washington state. The bank I use doesn't care too much how many boxes I order (so far, my orders have been small). Also, they usually keep a couple boxes on hand for retail stores and sometimes I can pick up extra dime or quarter boxes that way. Anyhow, there is no cost besides face value for the boxes. However, they do charge $0.76 a bag to purchase the bags and more than a turnover of a box or two a week and I have to turn in using bags ( I figure most people have the same requirements. No cost to drop off a full bag, just the bag cost. Must buy 100 bags at a time though. So far I've been really low key about what I have been getting. Now that I have a bank roll from this trip I will be upping the ante and picking up about 10 boxes of halves at a time. The funny thing is some of the boxes I get are Brinks, some are Loomis. go figure. All the tellers are silver collectors and the management doesn't care as long as they purchase them when they 'till' out for the day. When no other customers are there we compare our finds, needless to say, they are doing better than I am. Right now the tellers are admitting to me they are hoarding silver, not sending it in for melt or selling it to coin dealers/collectors. I was asked IMHO what to do to sell collectible coins (the manager had inherited a bunch of coiins and bills from her collector uncle), I told her to get an estimate of the coins from a dealer, then look up the info online to find out the true value (dealer determines year, proof, grade, that way the manager only needs to look up the going rate). By playing nice with the teller and manager they play nice with me.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Well then I guess its going to depend on the amount of volume you wanna do. If one branch charges, and the other wants to "try" and do 1 or 2 for you.... Well if that is enough than you are good until it changes. On the other hand, if you want to do more volume, which I'm assuming you do or you wouldnt bring this up, then you are going to have to go find another pick up bank. I would do your homework, and find out what bank you want to add to your pick up list, and then go open an account there. Find out how much money you need at minimum in order to avoid fees on that new account, put that much in there, and order away... i wouldnt reccommend quitting on bank 1 alltogether, what good does that do, just go find more sources.

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England
ahsq said:
Anyways, the vault teller told me the source (Garda, loomis, etc) is asking questions about the quantity of halves ordered....

The questions could be just conversational:
"these boxes of halves sure are heavy, aren't they?"
"You sure are ordering a lot of half dollar boxes lately, huh?"
"What do you do with all these halves?"

"questions" doesn't man bad, but the vault teller might just be trying to discourage you from doing it so it's less work for them.

The other thing is...the armored car company would be dumb to discourage anyone from buying and dumping, since their coin sorting business makes money on both ends of that. You're giving them a constant source of profit when you buy and dump!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread